Page 8 of 103 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Personally I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the lead actors that they accepted a role in the series because they believe it will be good, not just another paycheck. That's no guarantee that it will be good, but no one ever suffered because they assumed the best from a planned tv show.

if the series can focus on rescues and natural disasters-- I think the series can benefit from portraying Superman as a global force for good. To me, that would be a better setup than the monster of the week or the villain-punching clash of the week.
    Superman could be a one-man NGO, providing global aid, particularly to the developing world.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    if the series can focus on rescues and natural disasters-- I think the series can benefit from portraying Superman as a global force for good. To me, that would be a better setup than the monster of the week or the villain-punching clash of the week.
    Superman could be a one-man NGO, providing global aid, particularly to the developing world.
    According to that synopsis, it seems he'll unfortunately be answering to General Lane and working for/with the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    According to that synopsis, it seems he'll unfortunately be answering to General Lane and working for/with the military.
    It sounds like Post-Crisis General Lane isn't a bad guy, so I don't think it will be too much of a compromise...just Superman doing his best and using whatever means he has available to help people.

BANNED

I will say that I have little confidence the CW has the creativity to not do a season long big bad guy. I hope they do but the first sign of one and I will be out. I won't incest an entire season on a story that cannot be good.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    More or less what I'm expecting. Worth noting though that in that show it always felt like Smallville and Metropolis were at the very least in the same state. Even characters without superspeed seemed to bounce back and forth like it wasn't a big deal.
    In Earth Prime, Kansas and Metropolis are apparenly looks like Metropolis is in New Jersey and we know Smallville is in Kansas. Obviously not a problem for the Kents/Lanes, who can just whoosh over there or have Clark whoosh them over there. But you probably shouldn't see say Lana randomly dropping by the Daily Planet or Perry, if he's still around, casually visiting the Kent farm.

Also Arrowverse Gotham is in Wisconsin? Never pictured it there, but sure, why not.
    In the Smallville universe, Metropolis WAS in Kansas. That was because the show was obviously based around the town of Smallville so everything else had to revolve around it. In the YJ universe I think they put Gotham in Connecticut. I imagine a lot of this decision is because of budget. CW probably got a good deal with that town and farmhouse with Smallville, that's probably why they are going back there. How many times has that one castle house been used for the Luthor or Queen mansion? I think even Titans used it for Wayne manor. They have something like five or six different super-hero shows. Anything to save money. Yes, it looks like it's going to be "Smallville only he's Superman now" but Smallville was also a popular show. And if they can get the same sets, why wouldn't they?
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

Superman & Lois teaser starts at 1:10

No new footage, but we do get some new dialogue

Quote Originally Posted by Styles View Post
    Superman & Lois teaser starts at 1:10

No new footage, but we do get some new dialogue

Are those just shots from SMALLVILLE repurposed? Yikes, zero effort.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-02-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Okay, first- it's the ARROWVERSE, damnit. NO ONE is calling it the CWverse.

Second- usually by this time, they would be releasing sizzle reels for all of the shows because they would have already started shooting. But they haven't been able to shoot anything thanks to COVID, so they had to get creative with what they had to try and show what Superman and Lois would be about. Not to mention the fact that they will probably be shooting in the same locations they did for Smallville, so it fits.

Incredible Member

The picture on the "I spent the night with Superman" article? Yeah, that's from Smallville's final scene. It's from Welling's cameo on Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Or are you talking about the panoramic view from the town? Honestly, I don't know, but that scene was used on Elseworlds, the previous crossover, as the Smallville from Supergirl series.

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    The picture on the "I spent the night with Superman" article? Yeah, that's from Smallville's final scene. It's from Welling's cameo on Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Or are you talking about the panoramic view from the town? Honestly, I don't know, but that scene was used on Elseworlds, the previous crossover, as the Smallville from Supergirl series.
    Hopefully the people who worked on SMALLVILLE get some royalties for all the shots they're just repurposing.

They probably aren't, sadly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    The show wouldn't last half a season with that premise. Viewers want Superman to fight crime, which is necessary for him do in the DCU.

Hopefully the people who worked on SMALLVILLE get some royalties for all the shots they're just repurposing.

They probably aren't, sadly.
    I'm pretty sure at least the "Somebody Saaaave me..." guys got something...

Retired

I'm pretty sure all the Superman/Smallville shots are from the Berlanti shows. The pan across the newspaper to outside on the farm--that's from Crisis where Bitsy Lois met Tom Clark and that's him in the background (or his stunt double).

I feel they paid homage to ARROW at the beginning of the trailer, to say this is where it all started. But you can't really say it's the "Arrowverse," if it includes STARGIRL (and even SMALLVILLE was a "CW" series in its final years)--or are we saying the Multiverses (there have been two different ones) are all in a larger Arrowverse? So all the D.C. movies and T.V. shows are in the Arrowverse--that's the ur-Multiverse and Ollie Spectre created everything, maybe even the comic books and us here on our Earth? So Ollie created Stephen Amell, not the other way around.

I would say the shows on "the CW" are in the "Berlantiverse." But if they used that in the trailer no one would know what they're talking about. By using "the CWverse" for the pitch, they are making it clear to people that this is a pitch for shows on "the CW." So people know which channel to go to.

Given that Bitsy and Tyler were in both "Elseworlds" and "Crisis" and on the SUPERGIRL show--all that film they shot is what Berlanti has. They haven't been able to shoot the series yet. So repurposing film from the two stars playing the two characters makes sense--they already paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm pretty sure all the Superman/Smallville shots are from the Berlanti shows. The pan across the newspaper to outside on the farm--that's from Crisis where Bitsy Lois met Tom Clark and that's him in the background (or his stunt double).

I feel they paid homage to ARROW at the beginning of the trailer, to say this is where it all started. But you can't really say it's the "Arrowverse," if it includes STARGIRL (and even SMALLVILLE was a "CW" series in its final years)--or are we saying the Multiverses (there have been two different ones) are all in a larger Arrowverse? So all the D.C. movies and T.V. shows are in the Arrowverse--that's the ur-Multiverse and Ollie Spectre created everything, maybe even the comic books and us here on our Earth? So Ollie created Stephen Amell, not the other way around.

I would say the shows on "the CW" are in the "Berlantiverse." But if they used that in the trailer no one would know what they're talking about. By using "the CWverse" for the pitch, they are making it clear to people that this is a pitch for shows on "the CW." So people know which channel to go to.

Given that Bitsy and Tyler were in both "Elseworlds" and "Crisis" and on the SUPERGIRL show--all that film they shot is what Berlanti has. They haven't been able to shoot the series yet. So repurposing film from the two stars playing the two characters makes sense--they already paid for it.
    I think I remember hearing that Stargirl will be taking place on Earth 1, now that they are on the CW exclusively. Not sure how they'll do that- maybe just retcon or ignore that little bit from Crisis.