Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Ive found some of his statements to be a bit condescending towards us X-fans
    Me too and even contradictory to what he is writing like Solo/x-men book

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I was and am still mostly confused about the run more than anything. I want to understand what's really going on and what the purpose is. It felt strongly like an AU to me at first and to a degree it still does.

I also don't care for all the bashing about "the last 10+ years" of X-comics, there's been tons of great work done... people bashing all of it just sound like they haven't been reading to be honest. Which is fine but then just admit this is a new run that got promoted so you're checking it out, no need to generally attack all other runs for years and years... just a pet peeve!

There are parts of what's going on that are interesting to me and there are parts that seem like they wildly contradict tons of established continuity (hence the AU sense). I do appreciate all the debates and everything it's given fans and I'm pleasantly surprised as many fans are pro Krakoa as there are. I didn't expect that.
    Part of the fault is on Marvel marketing, like everything between morrison and Hickman doesn't matter.

They are devaluing their own product doing that, if I was a writer I owuld be very not into workin gon x-men after Hickman.

Loving it. and after Hickman's interview i'm just done with responding to the negativity. People are going to think what they want, say what they want, and believe what they want with or without facts so i'm just going to focus and respond to the actual story.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

The mutants are again interesting after a journey through the desert that seemed infinite.

It literallly just started but bueno so far.

I absolutely love it. Things are exciting, things feel fresh, and I'm eager to see where it is all heading. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    How does Hickman have more ego in his writing than Ewing? That's a surprising take to me, given what I've read from Ewing. Seems like they're similar in loving big universe-building, paradigm-altering high concepts. Now that Ewing's found sales success with Immortal Hulk, I would put those two closer together.
    Yes that’s why I compared them, they both like to write on the same scale, I prefer Ewing’s style to Hickmans, the ego i see in the writing is less to do with the concepts or scale and more to do with the way the subject matter is treated.

I do believe a certain amount of ego is necessary especially when dealing with a demanding fan base with strong opinions, but Hickman can’t seem to keep that out of his story telling.
    Last edited by lucius121; 10-29-2019 at 07:03 AM.

I absolutely love it. I see several of my favourite characters getting some serious growth and change in Dawn of X and I could not be more excited. Jean, Betsy, Emma, Storm, Rogue, Kate, and Polaris are truly back and active all at the same time, none of them getting shunted off to the side for once.

Scott isn't getting editorial trying to sell him as a villain anymore, in many ways I think Scott has been proven right by the current course and I could not be more happy. I love strong and decisive Scott and I love that he is the military commander of Krakoa!

Some nice scenes:
    • Mutants being happy for once and enjoying each other's company.
    • Fun subtext between characters.
    • Is Kate Pryde the BFF of Emma Frost, because I am starting to think she is!
    • Logan playing with kids and being happy, this is a true delight to me, and I hope we get a lot more scenes of Logan being happy.
    • Exodus playing with kids and loving being on Krakoa, this doesn't surprise me, and I am really glad that we were shown this side of him as a character.
    • Kate Pryde remembering that she was trained as a Ninja Assassin by Ogun and Logan and she still remembers all of that training.
    • Elizabeth becoming Captain Britain, a very well earned change for her character and she deserves this!
    • Jean Grey freeing the thighs, lol the uniform controversy is kind of funny even though I don't like that uniform myself. I am looking forward to Jean being badass in X-Force.
    • Storm literally becoming the goddess of Krakoa in a lot of ways, and I get the feeling that she is Scott's second in command when they are in the field together.

I would like to see some more development for Lorna and Rachel. Lorna isn't doing too bad but she should be a regular on a book. I would like to see some real character development for Rachel and in particular in her relationship to Jean, Scott, and Nathan.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

For now I'm loving it.

Without extinction, diseases, vaccines, heroes vs. heroes and best of all the X-men and the mutants finally decided to stop turning the other cheek and set a solid position in the world to be respected.

It's okay that some disagree with the current condition of the marvel universe's for mutants, meanwhile comics sales are high and mutants are in Krakoa dancing and having fun without worrying about giant killer robots or some terrorist attack by religious and biased imbeciles.

Krakoa 01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    How does Hickman have more ego in his writing than Ewing? That's a surprising take to me, given what I've read from Ewing. Seems like they're similar in loving big universe-building, paradigm-altering high concepts. Now that Ewing's found sales success with Immortal Hulk, I would put those two closer together.
    https://twitter.com/jhickman/status/...072220160?s=21

Amazing Member

I'm of two minds on this. I like that Xmen is now getting the attention it deserves with an "A-list" "showrunner." I've been however less than impressed with Hickman's writing. I causally read his FF and Avengers and never made it thorough all of Secret Wars. Big ideas but the stories didn't connect with me emotionally.

I've read Hox/Pox which much more invested and was open to loving this. I was expecting a thematic sequel to the Morrison run in scope and characterization. For the first few issues was in but now have grown more negative. Yes big ideas but again emotionless stale writing but worse he either is setting us up for a huge "twist" or more likely THIS IS EXACTLY who he thinks the X-men are and should be. An amoral Xavier, Jean/Scott in an open relationship, Logan relegated to boy-toy status and no attempt to inject real human situations, dialog or emotion. Just madmen hatching plans making speeches and robots causally relaxing at home in full costume. I fear he's not writing them as robots with purpose, this is just how Hickman writes. (see Marauders #1 for much more human dialog).

I'll check on most of the Dawn of X titles but there are already way too many. I'll wait it out and catch up on Unlimited.

My biggest complain is the resurrection thing, the fact that no matter what happens, they cant die.

Other people seems ok with this point but for me is a potential story breaker.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post
    My biggest complain is the resurrection thing, the fact that no matter what happens, they cant die.

They can die, they just get resurrected immediately after, rather than 3 years later in an event.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Ive found some of his statements to be a bit condescending towards us X-fans
    Based on what gets posted here on a daily basis, he has good reason to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post

Hickman explains why he did this in his interview, he felt like writers were being lazy using death as an emotional crutch to force destructive emotion on the readers and prop up manufactured self imposed importance onto their stories. By creating the resurrection protocols, Hickman has given every writer free regin to use any X-Character in history to their heart's content and forcing them to be creative in their storytelling by removing the crutch of big emotional death scenes.

I personally think it's a great idea. Quit killing characters just to make **** seem heavy, we all know that death is meaningless in comics anyway, Hickman is just making it obvious how meaningless death in comics is.

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    Yes that’s why I compared them, they both like to write on the same scale, I prefer Ewing’s style to Hickmans, the ego i see in the writing is less to do with the concepts or scale and more to do with the way the subject matter is treated.

I do believe a certain amount of ego is necessary especially when dealing with a demanding fan base with strong opinions, but Hickman can’t seem to keep that out of his story telling.
    Ewing seems very down to earth