Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I’ve not really enjoyed any of the new books so far, in part because none of the characters I like were involved or even mentioned. In part because I’m not a fan of Hickman, he has such a distinct style it tends to smother everything, I’m hoping some of the new books being released have a different style so that maybe I can start enjoying the x-books again.

It’s amazing how many people dislike reading stories.

BANNED

I've mostly enjoyed peoples subtle prejudices being revealed by their horror at the mutants finally not taking any more ****.

Mighty Member

I like the return to the mutants becoming big game players (again) and the world being forced to react to them. The X-Men are too skilled, numerous, experienced, and advanced to always be the ones back-pedaling. It's still too early, for me, to make assumptions on the direction the books are heading towards to, though, so my stance can still change.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

The best run ALREADY in a long damn time.

Nothing in the last ten years has done the x-men any better so the complaints can keep coming, people will always complain *shrugs*.

Also, Krakoa.

Honestly, calling it a "Run" at this point is a bit of a stretch.

It is essentially a twelve issue maxi-series and two issues of separate titles that will be an "Ongoing" concern.

All that said, it's been worth ever single second that I have put into it thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    I’ve been observing this board and boy oh boy so many X-fans aren’t on board with Hickmans vision (and that’s alright, no judgement).

1. I’ve seen some mad about the poly relationship direction.
    2. I’ve seen some mad about characters acting OOC.
    3. I’ve seen some mad about their fav characters not getting enough panel time.
    4. I’ve seen some mad about the X-men acting like superamcists.

Not everyone is enjoying the ride like I’ve been led to believe. I, for one, is enjoying this run immensely, it’s been a minute since I’ve read a good X-book.

I do think the Xmen are acting cultish but they’ve been cultish this past decade so nothing new. They been acting a lil on the crazy side but I like them as morally grey folks.

So what is your main issue with the current run?
    I am a long time fan of Hickman's writing, I've been reading both his independant work (East of West, The Manhattan Projects) and his previous works at Marvel (both on the ultimate line and in the main continuity with his Secret Warriors, SHIELD, FF and the Avengers).
    I've Always hoped for him to take the lead on the X-Men franchise, because he's so brilliant, but also because the X-writers of the last decade have made such subpar work with that franchise, it's laughable.
    I like the crafting of this story so far, the level of detail and attention Hickman put into the different concepts he's juggling with or has outright introduced. However, I find the direction where it's headed worrisome, and dread the subtext and moral implications some of the choices made in-universe have IRL, what kind of message it says to the world. Though I know enough of the man's work to expect Something even more riveting to come on the horizon.
    All in all, it's issue 4 for me, though I'm mainly concerned about the X-Men renouncing Xavier's ideals, chief among them Xavier himself.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

Intrigued by the idea, but not a fan of Hickman's execution. I don't think he can properly capture the heart and emotion needed for such a massive transition, especially if he's started it right in the middle of things. He's focussed too much on relaying the necessary info in data pages...when you could have easily done that in a few simple panels without giving the whole game away. Plus, some of this language is so clinical and unclear; maybe it's plain as day to him what he meant, but coming from some of these characters it comes off as just...hateful at worst, jarring at best.

That being said, I'm way more optimistic about Marauders and Excalibur: everyone sounds like people there, not mouth-pieces for the plot! And Fallen Angels is a must!So excited to see how this plays out from other writer's perspective!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I was and am still mostly confused about the run more than anything. I want to understand what's really going on and what the purpose is. It felt strongly like an AU to me at first and to a degree it still does.

I also don't care for all the bashing about "the last 10+ years" of X-comics, there's been tons of great work done... people bashing all of it just sound like they haven't been reading to be honest. Which is fine but then just admit this is a new run that got promoted so you're checking it out, no need to generally attack all other runs for years and years... just a pet peeve!

There are parts of what's going on that are interesting to me and there are parts that seem like they wildly contradict tons of established continuity (hence the AU sense). I do appreciate all the debates and everything it's given fans and I'm pleasantly surprised as many fans are pro Krakoa as there are. I didn't expect that.
    Can I just say that, as someone who was enjoying some of the recent stuff immensely, I really appreciate hearing that.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    It’s amazing how many people dislike reading stories.
    (Too many) people project themselves in their favorite characters and the whole thing becomes about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch Dimension. View Post
    I've mostly enjoyed peoples subtle prejudices being revealed by their horror at the mutants finally not taking any more ****.
    Oh, yes. Minorities have the right to ask for acceptance, but only if they are polite, well-mannered and accept the decisions of the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I also don't care for all the bashing about "the last 10+ years" of X-comics, there's been tons of great work done... people bashing all of it just sound like they haven't been reading to be honest. Which is fine but then just admit this is a new run that got promoted so you're checking it out, no need to generally attack all other runs for years and years... just a pet peeve!
    Hickman never said there wasn't good stuff done in the last 10 years- for example, he expressed many times how much he loves Gillen's run. However, the franchise has been broken for a long time, and it's really impossible to say otherwise. Morrison was brought him exactly for that reason, he pushed the X-men into a new direction and then editorial threw a nuke at the whole thing.

The fact is that the franchise was directionless because it was put in a corner- Extinction + Nostalgia, over and over again. There hasn't been forward movement.

Also, as he said in the recent podcast, X-men is not about themes that can stay the same for a long time, like "With great powers, come great responsability". It needs to change to reflect the struggles of minorities in the present day.

And the fact that even after the story is over, people keep expecting the X-men to be revealed to be the bad guys is a very good indicative how the franchise was broken- the X-men have been painted far too long as the evil bad guys for simply trying to exist, and some fans still fall for that.
    Last edited by Omega Alpha; 10-29-2019 at 04:39 AM.

There’s still a massive amount of ego in Hickman’s writing and this more than anything puts me off, it’s a fine style to have but it’s not one I enjoy. I prefer someone like Ewing over Hickman in terms of style of writing. This is not limited to the current X-Men run, it always seems to me like the most important character in any Hickman book is the writer himself, as if putting his mark on things is more important than having a coherent narrative.

It’s amazing how many people on a discussion forum are incapable of reading others opinions without projecting their own prejudices and belittling other people’s perspectives.
    Last edited by lucius121; 10-29-2019 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    There’s still a massive amount of ego in Hickman’s writing and this more than anything puts me off, it’s a fine style to have but it’s not one I enjoy. I prefer someone like Ewing over Hickman in terms of style of writing. This is not limited to the current X-Men run, it always seems to me like the most important character in any Hickman book is the writer himself, as if putting his mark on things is more important than having a coherent narrative.

It’s amazing how many people on a discussion forum are incapable of reading others opinions without projecting their own prejudices and belittling other people’s perspectives.
    I don’t agree with you but I respect you and your opinion, good sir. Many blessings
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

How does Hickman have more ego in his writing than Ewing? That's a surprising take to me, given what I've read from Ewing. Seems like they're similar in loving big universe-building, paradigm-altering high concepts. Now that Ewing's found sales success with Immortal Hulk, I would put those two closer together.

This could be nice. People teat Hickman as if no one should criticize him, it is frustrating;

From his interviews Hickman think his way is the only one that is right.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    This could be nice. People teat Hickman as if no one should criticize him, it is frustrating;

From his interviews Hickman think his way is the only one that is right.
    Ive found some of his statements to be a bit condescending towards us X-fans