Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Thoughts on the current run?

I’ve been observing this board and boy oh boy so many X-fans aren’t on board with Hickmans vision (and that’s alright, no judgement).

1. I’ve seen some mad about the poly relationship direction.
    2. I’ve seen some mad about characters acting OOC.
    3. I’ve seen some mad about their fav characters not getting enough panel time.
    4. I’ve seen some mad about the X-men acting like superamcists.

Not everyone is enjoying the ride like I’ve been led to believe. I, for one, is enjoying this run immensely, it’s been a minute since I’ve read a good X-book.

I do think the Xmen are acting cultish but they’ve been cultish this past decade so nothing new. They been acting a lil on the crazy side but I like them as morally grey folks.

So what is your main issue with the current run?
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

Astonishing Member

I don't really have any so maybe this thread isn't for me but I think this is the most provocative and exciting that the X-Men have been in a LONG LONG time. The franchise feels like it's got new life breathed into by Hickman and various writers/artist and after the almost decade long stagnation the titles suffered, well if it comes at the cost of a few characters acting "OOC" I'll gladly take it. And the main reason for that is that I have faith it's all leading into something epic for the X-Men franchise for years to come.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

So far, I am largely indifferent. But again, I DO NOT put that on Hickman. I always had taste that was sadly drawn to things that were in the minority. So outside of sitcoms, when it comes to a franchise, I am a person who was usually only interested in certain characters that caught my eye. And sadly when you are a fav. character person, you're gonna be indifferent or frustrated a lot. lol

Now getting to Hix-Men, same thing. I have 3 actual favs. Two of them, imo, have been written in ways I can not & do not enjoy. So they're out. Sadly I have to avoid them. Which is easy for one because Hickman put them to sleep. lol I only have 1 left, and they're not really a focal point now, & are the only one of Hickman's top 5 to be getting so little focus.

So for now, I keep up with events via forum & review and some things sound nice & interesting, but it's nothing that is genuinely getting me excited.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 10-28-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Honestly as someone who has been on the this forum since like 2012, this is probably the most well-received a run has ever been. In the past, even other critically acclaimed runs seemed to have split views among the readers here. I always said that only the Wonder Woman was more critical than the X-boards.

But this run has been really popular and liked! There's obviously people who don't care for it or the direction but in terms of sheer number, it's probably the most positive I've ever seen this board

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I was and am still mostly confused about the run more than anything. I want to understand what's really going on and what the purpose is. It felt strongly like an AU to me at first and to a degree it still does.

I also don't care for all the bashing about "the last 10+ years" of X-comics, there's been tons of great work done... people bashing all of it just sound like they haven't been reading to be honest. Which is fine but then just admit this is a new run that got promoted so you're checking it out, no need to generally attack all other runs for years and years... just a pet peeve!

There are parts of what's going on that are interesting to me and there are parts that seem like they wildly contradict tons of established continuity (hence the AU sense). I do appreciate all the debates and everything it's given fans and I'm pleasantly surprised as many fans are pro Krakoa as there are. I didn't expect that.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I don't really have any so maybe this thread isn't for me but I think this is the most provocative and exciting that the X-Men have been in a LONG LONG time. The franchise feels like it's got new life breathed into by Hickman and various writers/artist and after the almost decade long stagnation the titles suffered, well if it comes at the cost of a few characters acting "OOC" I'll gladly take it. And the main reason for that is that I have faith it's all leading into something epic for the X-Men franchise for years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Honestly as someone who has been on the this forum since like 2012, this is probably the most well-received a run has ever been. In the past, even other critically acclaimed runs seemed to have split views among the readers here. I always said that only the Wonder Woman was more critical than the X-boards.

But this run has been really popular and liked! There's obviously people who don't care for it or the direction but in terms of sheer number, it's probably the most positive I've ever seen this board
    Pretty much. I am enjoying it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    So far, I am largely indifferent. But again, I DO NOT put that on Hickman. I always had taste that was sadly drawn to things that were in the minority. So outside of sitcoms, when it comes to a franchise, I am a person who was usually only interested in certain characters that caught my eye. And sadly when you are a fav. character person, you're gonna be indifferent or frustrated a lot. lol

Now getting to Hix-Men, same thing. I have 3 actual favs. Two of them, imo, have been written in ways I can not & do not enjoy. So they're out. Sadly I have to avoid them. Which is easy for one because Hickman put them to sleep. lol I only have 1 left, and they're not really a focal point now, & are the only one of Hickman's top 5 to be getting so little focus.

So for now, I keep up with events via forum & review and some things sound nice & interesting, but it's nothing that is genuinely getting me excited.
    May I know who are these 3 characters?

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    May I know who are these 3 characters?
    Deadpool -When written seriously.
    Sabretooth -When written seriously. (which is rare these last 16 years)
    Monet

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I was and am still mostly confused about the run more than anything. I want to understand what's really going on and what the purpose is. It felt strongly like an AU to me at first and to a degree it still does.

I also don't care for all the bashing about "the last 10+ years" of X-comics, there's been tons of great work done... people bashing all of it just sound like they haven't been reading to be honest. Which is fine but then just admit this is a new run that got promoted so you're checking it out, no need to generally attack all other runs for years and years... just a pet peeve!

There are parts of what's going on that are interesting to me and there are parts that seem like they wildly contradict tons of established continuity (hence the AU sense). I do appreciate all the debates and everything it's given fans and I'm pleasantly surprised as many fans are pro Krakoa as there are. I didn't expect that.
    I wasn’t bashing X-books, most of marvel comics hasn’t been that great not just x-books. All I’m sayin, Xmen acting cultish isn’t something new. Utopia was cultish too.

I am also shocked that many folks are pro Krakoa. Yikes. As a human, I’m offended by the betrayal of my fellow humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Deadpool -When written seriously.
    Sabretooth -When written seriously. (which is rare these last 16 years)
    Monet
    Wow wow wow. Very odd

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    I wasn’t bashing X-books, most of marvel comics hasn’t been that great not just x-books. All I’m sayin, Xmen acting cultish isn’t something new. Utopia was cultish too.

I am also shocked that many folks are pro Krakoa. Yikes. As a human, I’m offended by the betrayal of my fellow humans.
    We'll be reminded that ultimately this is a work of fiction, though Hickman has managed to make the characters seem like living people.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

Some of Hickman's scenes go on for a little too long.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Some of Hickman's scenes go on for a little too long.
    You keep being a good boy so we can be blessed with more iron man content

Main issue with current run? You mean X-men issue #1 and Marauders issue #1. Or do you mean the status quo change of the X-men? The current is barely even a thing yet to have real opinion on. The status quo leans a little to heavy on scifi elements No Deaths, Krakoa island,etc that is a little jarring for some people.

I rather talk about the thing I like the most. Celia Reyes is being used for medical stuff, Trinary is being used with tech stuff, Sage is being used with tech stuff, Doug is being used with tech stuff. That is to go along with tech regulars Forge and Beast. Nightcrawler has important leadership role, Beast has important leadership, Kitty has import leadership role, Magik and Bishop have important leadership role. Goldballs, Hope and Tempus are being used a creative way. Emma has non cyclops related important X-men role. The big point is the status quo is godlike at creating niche for smaller characters to have something important to do. They could create a book about Quiet Council and world politics that would be interesting. They can create a book about mutant school on island, They could create an X-men book about them being on Mars and being the first line of defense for earth, They could do create space book about them setting up gates on other worlds.They could do a book about the Captains maintain peace on the island and protecting the island. The potential of Krakoa set up is awesome.

I'm not happy that the new project canceled the comicsI was following, eps. I'm not really a fan of the main X-Men team series in general, but since I'm not reading them, I'm indifferent to the content (beyond that nothing I've heard about it has made me want to read them and I'm hoping things get back to "normal" soon). That said, I'm looking forward to the Fallen Angels series, so that will be acid test for me on where I stand on stuff.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I actually like many of the story seeds Hickman has been planting. Really not hyped at the relationship drama though, if it is too toxic I may even quit.