Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

People came back to life all the time anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Macallan View Post
    Hickman explains why he did this in his interview, he felt like writers were being lazy using death as an emotional crutch to force destructive emotion on the readers and prop up manufactured self imposed importance onto their stories. By creating the resurrection protocols, Hickman has given every writer free regin to use any X-Character in history to their heart's content and forcing them to be creative in their storytelling by removing the crutch of big emotional death scenes.

I personally think it's a great idea. Quit killing characters just to make shit seem heavy, we all know that death is meaningless in comics anyway, Hickman is just making it obvious how meaningless death in comics is.
    I was just about to say this. Hickman also said that he didn't want to spend many issues on resurrecting characters one by one and giving them their own event/resurrection stories, so writers could use the characters they wanted. Now everyone is free to use, and death in comics was already meaningless anyway.

Then dont kill them. It is that hard??

Why we need a resurrection machine?? We really need to insult death even more ??

I know it is meaningless, but instead of correcting it and avoiding killing characters like flies, he creates a plot device that makes the heroes virtually inmortal.
    Last edited by Lapsus; 10-29-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post

Why we need a resurrection machine?? We really need to insult death even more ??

I know it is meaningless, but instead of correcting it and avoiding killing characters like files, he creates a plot device that makes the heroes virtual inmortal.
    He explained that too. Writers kept coming in with destructive pitches so imo he needed something in place to dissuade that. He can't edit every book or stop writers outside the x-offices that were killing mutants just for shock value like with eyeboy. But now he can bring them back. It's pointless company wide to just kill a mutant because you think it will create the emotional beat your looking for. Now when someone pitches a death they actually have to think about the story behind it. The death won't add the emotional value, what leads to it and happens because of it does.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    He explained that too. Writers kept coming in with destructive pitches so imo he needed something in place to dissuade that. He can't edit every book or stop writers outside the x-offices that were killing mutants just for shock value like with eyeboy. But now he can bring them back. It's pointless company wide to just kill a mutant because you think it will create the emotional beat your looking for. Now when someone pitches a death they actually have to think about the story behind it. The death won't add the emotional value, what leads to it and happens because of it does.
    is that hard to make an editorial mandate of not killing important characters that are not mean to stay dead??

Your story is going to be ruined because you dont have the liberty of killing nightcrawler in the most stupid way??

It is beyond me, huge decisions afecting the fate of important characters should be decided by Marvel itself.

If you need to kill half of the roster of the avengers go to an AU
    Last edited by Lapsus; 10-29-2019 at 09:37 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Ive found some of his statements to be a bit condescending towards us X-fans
    Not the poor entitled fans!

I know it is meaningless, but instead of correcting it and avoiding killing characters like flies, he creates a plot device that makes the heroes virtually inmortal.
    Seems like it's hard, because all the writers still wants to kill characters for shock value. And that's what Hickman criticized and wanted to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    Seems like it's hard, because all the writers still wants to kill characters for shock value. And that's what Hickman criticized and wanted to stop.
    But Marvel should be able to stop that, this could encourage killing characters because now they can be cloned in the factory.

Now they dont need kill characters for shock value, they can do it for fun and free.

Fan entitlement really is a curse.

Anyways, if Hickman doesn’t put Surge in any of the next three X-Men issues, I’m jumping ship as a dedicated fan and starting my own comic book company that will put specifically the X-Office out of business.

is that hard to make an editorial mandate of not killing important characters that are not mean to stay dead??

Your story is going to be ruined because you dont have the liberty of killing nightcrawler in the most stupid way??

It is beyond me, huge decisions afecting the fate of important characters should be decided by Marvel itself.

Editors were the same as writers, they greenlit all the cheap deaths.
    And the stories won't be ruind by not letting characters getting killed, that's what will fix the them... Hickman: "it's just fine if you have a story where a character has to die, that's fine, but what's the other story? Like what's the more interesting story?"
    Maybe writers will actually do something with the characters this time

I know it is meaningless, but instead of correcting it and avoiding killing characters like flies, he creates a plot device that makes the heroes virtually immortal.
    And completely inhuman. More than their powers ever made them.
    And in my book, they are not really heroes either but national heroes now.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. A much needed breath of fresh air that helps to evolve the franchise. This is the most excited I've been in a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    Editors were the same as writers, they greenlit all the cheap deaths.
    And the stories won't be ruind by not letting characters getting killed, that's what will fix the them... Hickman: "it's just fine if you have a story where a character has to die, that's fine, but what's the other story? Like what's the more interesting story?"
    Maybe writers will actually do something with the characters this time
    If Marvel allowed Hickman to make this happen, then to a certain degree, they agree with him in that killing for shock value is getting old.

If we are going by that route, at the end of the day, Hickman is also powerless because the next writer can shit in his work and undone part of the setting in order to have his stupid death.

Maybe not tomorrow or in the next year, but in a not too far future.

I just dont see how cheapen death even more is going to benefit the setting, the situation could be as disuasive as encouraging.

If Marvel allowed Hickman to make this happen, then to a certain degree, they agree with him in that killing for shock value is getting old.

If we are going by that route, at the end of the day, Hickman is also powerless because the next writer can shit in his work and undone part of the setting in order to have his stupid death.

Maybe not tomorrow or in the next year, but in a not too far future.

I just dont see how cheapen death even more is going to benefit the setting, the situation could be as disuasive as encouraging.
    If it can be undone when he's gone what's the problem with him saying for as long as i am here there won't be any cheap mutant deaths. I appreciate he is letting us know look for emotional stories without people having to die in my run. I am more than okay with not having to read about one mutant death for the next 3 years.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Is there ever a reason to really kill a character though. Is there ever really a NEED for a character to die. It may be harder to think up storyline alternatives but i've never read a story and thought "This character NEEDS to die." Well except Joffrey but that was more "I want this character to die."
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.