Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Can't say I agree with you, but fair enough.
    it is beyond me how someone could not understand such a basic concept of alienation. are you a robot or something?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    it is beyond me how someone could not understand such a basic concept of alienation. are you a robot or something?
    Robot? No. Thick-skinned maybe. Loner sometimes, but not a robot.

However, what did alienation have to do with anything? What I didn't agree with that the Medichlorians ruined the Force (they never bothered me; heck I didn't know I was supposed to be bothered by them until I started using the internet more) and I am purely neutral on the Chosen One narrative for the prequels (I didn't love it, but I have nothing bad to say about it, either).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Robot? No. Thick-skinned maybe. Loner sometimes, but not a robot.

However, what did alienation have to do with anything? What I didn't agree with that the Medichlorians ruined the Force (they never bothered me; heck I didn't know I was supposed to be bothered by them until I started using the internet more) and I am purely neutral on the Chosen One narrative for the prequels (I didn't love it, but I have nothing bad to say about it, either).
    mate, you do well thought replies and i appreciate them. to me, the introduction of the midichlorians clings to the frankfurt school of thoughts. fromm, horkheimer, adorno, marcuse.
    some of their thesises are that humans get alienated by being suspect of being measured. that mostly applies to peoples in productive processes in capitalist societies, but i would also apply this to the loss of spirituality in modern culture.
    you might argue that spirituality is some kind of mumbo jumbo (to quote crystal skulls), but i think the spiritual appeal of especially yodaŽ s teaching in EMPIRE is what appealed the most to people that have a strong connection to star wars.
    surely something is amiss with the current incarnation of star wars
    Last edited by abulafia; 11-10-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

mate, you do well thought replies and i appreciate them.
    Thanks.

to me, the introduction of the midichlorians clings to the frankfurt school of thoughts. fromm, horkheimer, adorno, marcuse.
    some of their thesises are that humans get alienated by being suspect of being measured. that mostly applies to peoples in productive processes in capitalist societies, but i would also apply this to the loss of spirituality in modern culture.
    Okay. Might need to think about that a bit, but okay.

you might argue that spirituality is some kind of mumbo jumbo (to quote crystal skulls), but i think the spiritual appeal of especially yodaŽ s teaching in EMPIRE is what appealed the most to people that have a strong connection to star wars.
    I'm religious, so I don't dismiss that kind of thing. I'm sure I'd disagree with people who practice different religions on which "mumbo jumbo" is true and not, but that's another topic. Can't say that the spiritual aspect was the big thing for me with Star Wars, but I do find interest in stories that do interesting stuff with that part, given my own beliefs and whatnot.

surely something is amiss with the current incarnation of star wars
    I honestly can't say that I feel anything's amiss in the current movies. Have been liking them all more or less and I do like the spiritual stuff that's been used in the new films. Guess I'm not seeing what you're missing. Anything specific jump out at you?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)