Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 64
  1. #31
    Incredible Member abulafia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    598

    Default

    just a general question.
    why go with all the hassle of recalculating inflation (which can be faulty) if you can just go with tickets sold?

    seems to be an us-american thing again, cause in europe i notice only the amount of visitors stated to measure the success of a movie.
    which makes a lot more sense imho, cause who knows what contracts say about splitting revenue on distribution, marketing, etc?
    Last edited by abulafia; 11-01-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

  2. #32
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    1,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    just a general question.
    why go with all the hassle of recalculating inflation (which can be faulty) if you can just go with tickets sold?

    seems to be an us-american thing again, cause in europe i notice only the amount of visitors stated to measure the success of a movie.
    which makes a lot more sense imho, cause who knows what contracts say about splitting revenue on distribution, marketing, etc?
    I'm not sure if they keep track of tickets sold back in 1977 and such, never seen any numbers on it. So the best way would be to look at total office box income with inflation needed for comparison without those numbers.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  3. #33
    Incredible Member abulafia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    I'm not sure if they keep track of tickets sold back in 1977 and such, never seen any numbers on it. So the best way would be to look at total office box income with inflation needed for comparison without those numbers.
    how would they have based their calculations back then if not on sold tickets as multiplier? how is that rocket science?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

  4. #34
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think part of the reason it was better received (although it didn't make as much money as the first four Bay films) is that, despite taking place in the continuity of the Bay series it was much closer to the cartoon's/toys designs, something that's been a major issue with most of the fans.
    Could be; the classic designs were praised (and, frankly, the former movies had some really ugly stuff in it), although I did notice that people seemed to really like the characters more this time around (seen more then one "Sam Whitwickey is a awful person" essay floating around.

    In terms of continuity, it's now a reboot, although they flipped-flopped on that so much, it's kinda hard to take anything at face value (heck, the DVD came with bonus features tying it to the original movies, despite the "reboot" ruling and the fact that the movie pretty much destroyed the already-inconsistent Bay-verse series).

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It also considerably toned down the juvenile humor of the Bay films too.
    Yeah, see a few clips that have made me question A.) what was in the water when they were made and B.) question why I got a dirt-cheap DVD set of all five of them.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  5. #35
    Amazing Member Valentis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    90

    Default

    It was reported that Benioff and Weiss left the project as they could not agree with Disney on the right direction to take Star Wars. Whose side should we be on? Both Disney and Benioff/Weiss are clueless.

  6. #36
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,881

    Default

    Its impossible for me to gauge with any certainty without having an idea of what the pitch was. If I'm guessing, I think after TFA and TLJ, Disney now leans towards the safe, more formulaic approach of the former picture. I'm imagining Benioff and Weiss were pitching something outside that, more TLJ-like territory. In that scenario, I probably would lean toward Disney. I like different stories don't get me wrong, but I would still prefer something closer to the original feel. But all of that is just guesswork.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-02-2019 at 12:46 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "“Your boos mean nothing, I’ve seen what makes you cheer!”

  7. #37
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    It was reported that Benioff and Weiss left the project as they could not agree with Disney on the right direction to take Star Wars. Whose side should we be on? Both Disney and Benioff/Weiss are clueless.
    LucasFilm has a good track record overall.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  8. #38
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    7,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I really doubt that, the films have made them a crap ton of money so I doubt they'd shelve them for very long. If we go longer than two-three years with out a new film I'd be really surprised.
    It doesn't surprise me. It seems like Lucas knows what it wants to do with TV and the movies got as much direction as a headless chicken.

  9. #39
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Could be; the classic designs were praised (and, frankly, the former movies had some really ugly stuff in it), although I did notice that people seemed to really like the characters more this time around (seen more then one "Sam Whitwickey is a awful person" essay floating around.

    In terms of continuity, it's now a reboot, although they flipped-flopped on that so much, it's kinda hard to take anything at face value (heck, the DVD came with bonus features tying it to the original movies, despite the "reboot" ruling and the fact that the movie pretty much destroyed the already-inconsistent Bay-verse series).



    Yeah, see a few clips that have made me question A.) what was in the water when they were made and B.) question why I got a dirt-cheap DVD set of all five of them.

    The continuity was never really that solid in the first place I think. It seemed every film had an alternate origin of some kind for the Transformers, or how long they had been on Earth etc.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  10. #40
    Amazing Member Valentis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    LucasFilm has a good track record overall.
    Lucasfilm is a subsidiary of Disney (2012–present).

  11. #41

    Default

    So is there any info on what Benioff and Weiss's ideas were?

  12. #42
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The continuity was never really that solid in the first place I think. It seemed every film had an alternate origin of some kind for the Transformers, or how long they had been on Earth etc.
    True (in fact, I recall Travis Knight recalling in an interview that it was impossible to be completely consistent with the Bay movies due to the number of continuity errors). That said, there is a difference between "sort of works in very broad strokes" and "erases the entire backstory."

    Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Lucasfilm is a subsidiary of Disney (2012–present).
    And...?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  13. #43
    Wrath of a God Xero Kaiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its impossible for me to gauge with any certainty without having an idea of what the pitch was. If I'm guessing, I think after TFA and TLJ, Disney now leans towards the safe, more formulaic approach of the former picture. I'm imagining Benioff and Weiss were pitching something outside that, more TLJ-like territory. In that scenario, I probably would lean toward Disney. I like different stories don't get me wrong, but I would still prefer something closer to the original feel. But all of that is just guesswork.
    Yeah. It seems like, "different" these days just means, "throw as many curveballs into the story as you possibly can".

    I think I've had my fill of this trend.

  14. #44
    Benefactor / Malefactor H-E-D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,348

    Default

    The rumors I've seen have said that Benioff and Weiss wanted to do an origin story for the Jedi Order, which isn't something I'd be interested in.


    The Last Jedi was good, so I wouldn't mind Rian coming back for me.

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    The rumors I've seen have said that Benioff and Weiss wanted to do an origin story for the Jedi Order, which isn't something I'd be interested in.


    The Last Jedi was good, so I wouldn't mind Rian coming back for me.
    Personally I think the founding of the Jedi Order be interesting if done right. Of course it's easier said then done since the Jedi were around for thousands of years. Then again I'm don't like TLJ. So take what you will from that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •