Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    In this continuity? He breaks into STAR labs and nearly wrecks everything while telling Dr. Glory that she caught him on the one day where he doesn't really feel like following the rules (he nearly says "screw the rules" verbatim).

Can't really speak for 90s Kon on every instance ever, but Bendis shows us the contrast between how Conner and Clark handle this by having Clark use his x-ray vision and then does a write up as Clark later, or he just kind of waits outside of their building like in issue 17. There's also the fact that he and Batman agree to leave Naomi in their care even though they don't totally trust them. There's a clear contrast being set up here in this run.

Them finally meeting only to kind of just do what you'd expect kind of feels a little flaccid to me. It feels like that especially so after Bendis has hyped up the meeting by saying "people can't even imagine what Jon and Conner being in the same room will be like." Pretty sure just about everyone imagined two chummy brothers in one way or another, so I'm guessing Bendis has something else in mind. But it's not like I think they'll be trying to kill each other.

If Bendis is really down to explore the other half of Conner's genes like he seems to be hinting at with Conner's remarks, then I can see something like neo Clark/Lex situation brewing, but both are good guys who just don't agree. That said, I think when the chips are down they'll be there for each other.
    You must also say that this with STAR Labs happened BEFORE he was on Gemworld.
    On Gemworld he lived his life as farmer and father and seemed to enjoy the peaceful live.

So I think rather Jon as the harsh character, because Conner seems to have found his peace.

It would also make NO sense if you look at TT and Conner in Smallville.

In this continuity? He breaks into STAR labs and nearly wrecks everything while telling Dr. Glory that she caught him on the one day where he doesn't really feel like following the rules (he nearly says "screw the rules" verbatim).

Can't really speak for 90s Kon on every instance ever, but Bendis shows us the contrast between how Conner and Clark handle this by having Clark use his x-ray vision and then does a write up as Clark later, or he just kind of waits outside of their building like in issue 17. There's also the fact that he and Batman agree to leave Naomi in their care even though they don't totally trust them. There's a clear contrast being set up here in this run.
    Bendis' definitely setting up a comparison and contrast, but what I'm saying is that so far, I'm not really seeing a "all new all edgier" Conner Kent, I'm just seeing regular, everyday Conner Kent. Hell if anything current Conner seems slightly more level headed and calm than he used to be. Must've been all that time taking care of a kid.

We're definitely getting a philosophical difference between Conner, Clark, and Jon, and seeing how those three view the world differently is gonna be a lot of fun. But if Bendis intended to take Conner to new places, he's failing at that and only providing a quality, enjoyable, recognizable one.

Which I'm perfectly fine with.

Maybe the big shift will be after 5G.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Bendis' definitely setting up a comparison and contrast, but what I'm saying is that so far, I'm not really seeing a "all new all edgier" Conner Kent, I'm just seeing regular, everyday Conner Kent.
    As I recall, Conner regarded his time taking care of the mom and being a farmer as more of a holding pattern when he didn't know what else to do.

But my point is that the book we're reading right now regards his deviation from the rules as a new to him. When he comes up with the idea he regards it as a shift and so should we.

But if Bendis intended to take Conner to new places, he's failing at that and only providing a quality, enjoyable, recognizable one.
    I think that's the point though. Look at it this: this is the Young Justice honeymoon period. Bendis seems to be writing this first leg of the book as a homage/tip-of-the-hat in sprite and aesthetic to Peter David's stuff. And on a character front, he's presenting it as the idea that the characters are just so happy to see each other, also just occupied with all of the craziness they're getting into that no character has had time to unpack anything of what they've been doing before this point.

Casandra is a perfect example. Dude, she was literally crying when she agreed to suit up and fight the gem solders (a lot of us likely forgot about that, right?). And before that she refused to help Tim outright. She looked almost scared. Why? There's very obviously something going on, but the book isn't trying to address or even hint at it right now because it and the character are just happy to have Young Justice back. I think the same is 100% true for Conner. His epiphany in issue 3 simply just on the back burner.

It manifesting specifically into what I think is speculation based on limited knowledge, but something beyond him just being normal Conner is for sure going to happen after the honeymoon period is over.

At this juncture I think it's fair to say that Bendis is a writer that loves his hints and stealth seeded plot points. His Superman run is RIDDLED with them. Remember how in Man of Steel Clark made a guess that Zaar was solar powered like him? Remember how that never came up again directly till issue 14 of Superman when we find out his part Kryptonian? Remember how Lobo kind of randomly walks up to Jon in issue 7 and calls him "little Superman", but Jon corrects him saying "SuperBOY", then Lobo lays on some advise about how he's a man when he decides to be? Then we assumed that was only in relation to him manning up and taking care of himself on Earth-3, but now it seems clear that it was also meant to point to 5G. There's Manhunter saying Superman should take over, Jon's growth spurt in MOS, Trish saying Lois left Clark for Superman, Toyman showing up in MOS and Clark saying he can do better, and even Mongol randomly showing up to get beat up is coming back around.

So with a track record like that I don't think that scene with Conner's epiphany was just a throw away.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    This seems promising.
    Feels a bit predictable.

As I recall, Conner regarded his time taking care of the mom and being a farmer as more of a holding pattern when he didn't know what else to do.
    I think that's right? That was like, six-nine months ago or so? I have had a *whole* lot of final-year college stuff crammed into my head since then so I'll take your word for it. Gods, what issue number are we even on now?

Anyway, I've been perfectly happy with how Bendis has written Conner so far. Very, very satisfied. So if Bendis thinks that what we've gotten so far is a big shift in his character, I'm just gonna smile and nod and let him think that. And if we haven't yet seen the real shift and Conner's got a whole new outlook in his back pocket, that's cool too. He was always the rebel of the Supers and I got no issue leaning deeper into that.

And Bendis definitely layers the subplots in real deep, and I appreciate that. And I'm sure you're right and he's setting up a good dramatic rivalry/disagreement of some kind with Jon. No doubt there, it's not hard to see the seeds being planeted. I'm just saying, so far Conner has just been acting like Conner, I haven't seen this big change that Bendis is touting. Not yet, anyway.

Of course, as busy as I've been this semester I could easily be overlooking it too. Like I said, I don't even know what issue we're at!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

No dude, you're totally right. I was only talking about his deal before he left for Gemworld. He did call the whole taking care of the mom and daughter, and being farmer more of a holding pattern than anything. But you're totally right that so far, outside of that shift in issue 3, he's been writing Conner as fairly basic. Basically the whole team has been like that, and I'm genuinely thinking it's in the interest of this being the "honeymoon period" for the book, and the friendly reunion for the kids.

I think it's similar to waiting for the other shoe to drop in Superman. You know, we figured Jon's age up and the new living situation were the other shoe dropping, but the reality is that all of that was a build to President Superman, the abolishing of the SI, the Legion, and likely 5G Superman.

I'm waiting for the other shoe for Young Justice and for Conner.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Feels a bit predictable.
    Well, yeah! It was foreshadowed in the books. Read tomasi's run and jurgens run. Bendis just decided to make jon more precrisis that's it.

I have nothing to base this off of in terms of clues, but I'd really love to see Jon as Superman deal with Solaris the Tyrant Sun in 5G. This seems like the perfect time to roll this character out. As DC One Million tells it, Solaris is the new Superman's first real test as Superman.

Since Bendis is so down with setting the main Superman book in cosmic situations, I think watching Jon keep an evil sun in check would be dope.

I have nothing to base this off of in terms of clues, but I'd really love to see Jon as Superman deal with Solaris the Tyrant Sun in 5G. This seems like the perfect time to roll this character out. As DC One Million tells it, Solaris is the new Superman's first real test as Superman.

Since Bendis is so down with setting the main Superman book in cosmic situations, I think watching Jon keep an evil sun in check would be dope.
    Sweet Jesus SOMEONE use Solaris. A freaking evil computer sun is 100% the type of stuff I want to see in my Superman comics. I hope you’re right!

Im hoping Conner takes over the Supernova name.

Re member

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I'd actually like to see Supergirl take the lead if they are going to replace Superman. I'd like the stories to lean more heavily into the kryptonian aspects of the mythos.
    That would be interesting, but I don’t think DC has any intention of using Supergirl in that manner.

5A1A95E5-EE9F-4304-AD37-C76FF14DE6A2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Bendis just decided to make jon more precrisis that's it.
    Exactly. That's why it would be even more interesting if they went in a different direction.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Exactly. That's why it would be even more interesting if they went in a different direction.
    Why? If the current clark kent is more post crisis. Then making jon more precrisis would make sense.

Why do you need everything to be about Crisis?

Dude, don't play with my emotions like that!

~ Black Panther.