Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Except, Kathy would be about 7-8 years younger then Jon, at the least.
    If there is going to be a timeskip the only problem would be age gap. If they take 8 or 10 years leap. Its perfectly possible for jon to have kathy as girlfriend.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    The problematic character continues to be Lois, since she ages quicker than Clark (and I'm not anxious to see her killed in order to avoid that).
    My solution would be to have her put into stasis following complications from Lara's birth. Kryptonian technology is used to heal her the same way Clark was healed after dying. Maybe she is revived from stasis early in 5G and finds it has slowed her aging process. As a result, she is still vital and active and for the time being and is age-appropriate as Clark's wife.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean here? Why does aging Lois anywhere between 3 to 5 years along with everyone else be problematic? The new timeline not withstanding, she's drawn to be a healthy and physically active woman in her 30s or very early 40s. Adding on 3 to 5 years for that shouldn't stop her for being that, right?

_____

You bring up an interesting point about Jimmy. Like with Lois (though I'm now leaning towards her continuing to work with the the detectives from the Leviathan case like Bendis seems to imply), I'm kind of hesitant to say anything for sure till his book points towards something. Maybe he buys out the Planet out from under Leone, and he becomes Perry's boss (that'd be pretty funny given the interactions so far)? I feel like the Superman: Heroes special will add a few more clues as to what Jimmy may be up to in the future.

He's an easy one: bet you Melody Moore becomes acting fire chief rather than deputy. Or, you know, maybe she runs for mayor after being inspired by Clark?! The fires don't really have much of an impact on the story anymore, and we learned that it was more a systemic issue, so graduating her to that could make sense. Jon would then be dealing with "Mayor Moore".
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Dude, you're not even wrong now that I think about it. The things that keep me coming back to this is the fact that on two occasions Bendis has the text itself compare the two even when they haven't met.

There's also small stuff like the fact that both of them are stated to be 17, and that being of note since Bendis is writing a bunch of teens, new and old, yet he's only given traceable ages to these two. The only exception to this is Teen Lantern, but she, ironically, is 11 years old.
    You could be right. But this could also just be Bendis establishing ages for new characters (and Jon, who's in a very new situation).

Maybe he is foreshadowing something between Jon and Naomi. Or he's just covering the basics. With Jon, he got aged up off-panel and there's a lot of variance and variety within the "teenager" demo, so Bendis has to nail down Jon's age. Same with Naomi; she's a new character with her own book, we gotta know how old she is. We'd expect her to act differently if she's only 15 or 14 as opposed to 17.

Everyone else is part of a team title and/or already have their ages established. We know Teen Lantern is 11, we know Tim Drake is 16, and by extension we can figure out how old Conner, Cassie, and Bart are. That just leaves Jinny Hex, and some upcoming issues are focusing on her so her age might be revealed there.

But right now it all just feels like I've got my tinfoil hat on hahaha. But I tell ya man, I really, really would dig the prospect of them getting together. If he's got in mind something with as much care as Luke and Jessica, then I'm in.
    I mean....a little bit, yeah.

But that doesn't mean you're wrong, either.

TAKE WITH GRAIN OF SALT: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...d-black-label/

Basically the idea, apparently, is to have 5G take the main line and then they'll also launch a number of new oversized (no word on if they're monthly, but given their size and price I doubt it) Black Label titles with Clark as Superman, and the rest of the replaced heroes in their mantles at $7.99 each.

Logistically, I have no earthly idea how this is meant to work if it's even close to true. But conceptually, I think the idea is sound. The vets would be the ones who they could count on to buy something like that, and Black Label is already kind of for the comic reading experienced as much as it's for the bookstore crowd.
    I think I'd flip that, honestly.

Does DC really think that old school fans, who have proven time and again to resist change on any level, are gonna roll with a totally new mainline continuity just because they can read the old, classic characters in a Black Label book every few months (or longer?). I suspect that if this rumor is true, the direct market sales are going to disappoint greatly, and the Black Label sales will be great. But doing the reverse; keeping the mainline continuity as it is with 5G as a regular Black Label thing? That could work.

Ah well, if the rumor is true then I get to play the "who knows business theory better?" game with DC again.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here? Why does aging Lois anywhere between 3 to 5 years along with everyone else be problematic? The new timeline not withstanding, she's drawn to be a healthy and physically active woman in her 30s or very early 40s. Adding on 3 to 5 years for that shouldn't stop her for being that, right?
    The Lois issue is less the time jump, than the OTHER part of the overall 2G-3G-4G-5G timeline (that I didn't really speak to in my original post, to be fair).

ALL of the trinity will now have started their careers much earlier chronologically. Example: Clark active as Superboy in the late 50's.
    By default this ages up everyone including their supporting casts. It isn't clear from the leaked timeline exactly when Lois shows up, but if it coincides with Clark's modern age stories (now set in earlier decades than with the current sliding timeline), Lois is going to quickly age out of being age-appropriate for Clark.
    Do we really want a 60 year old Lois running around with a 40's-looking Clark?

This is why I'm suggesting something that would create a break between Lois's first appearance and her modern appearances, with an assumption that she wasn't aging in between. A "held in stasis for X number of years" explanation. This is the same type of logic that would be needed for any golden age JSAers to be running around without looking their true ages (100 years old or more at this point).

This is why I'm suggesting something that would create a break between Lois's first appearance and her modern appearances, with an assumption that she wasn't aging in between. A "held in stasis for X number of years" explanation. This is the same type of logic that would be needed for any golden age JSAers to be running around without looking their true ages (100 years old or more at this point).
    I haven't paid a ton of attention to the generations thing yet. Waiting for more official info and trying to ignore rumors that'll only piss me off. But as I understand it, the Crisis events still happened right? It seems to me that even though this is a single timeline, it's going to be doubling back on itself a lot, creating "Crisis Walls" for age/continuity re-sets.

If it's a single timeline and all the OG heroes like Clark and Bruce appeared in the 30's and 40's, then almost everyone would be dead today, and would've been so old in generations 3 and 4 that it would alter those eras and stories to such a degree it wouldn't look anything like the eras it's supposed to be reflecting. If DC is trying to do a "everything basically happened" it's not going to work when you've got a 70 year old Lois Lane trying to fill the same role she did in the Bronze Age.

This whole generations thing seems super meta to me. It seems like DC is saying "Okay, you like pre-Crisis Superman? Here's a generation where that stuff happened" and "You like current Superman? Well here's that generation" and they're going to be using time resets as an excuse to claim it's still all one single continuity, even though functionally it's going to look a lot more like a return of the multiverse.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

_____

You bring up an interesting point about Jimmy. Like with Lois (though I'm now leaning towards her continuing to work with the the detectives from the Leviathan case like Bendis seems to imply), I'm kind of hesitant to say anything for sure till his book points towards something. Maybe he buys out the Planet out from under Leone, and he becomes Perry's boss (that'd be pretty funny given the interactions so far)? I feel like the Superman: Heroes special will add a few more clues as to what Jimmy may be up to in the future.

He's an easy one: bet you Melody Moore becomes acting fire chief rather than deputy. Or, you know, maybe she runs for mayor after being inspired by Clark?! The fires don't really have much of an impact on the story anymore, and we learned that it was more a systemic issue, so graduating her to that could make sense. Jon would then be dealing with "Mayor Moore".
    Yeah, color me confused here too about Lois’s age.

Amy Adams is 45 years old and regularly shows up women half her age in terms of her appearance. Not to be crude but her cleavage alone is legendary. I just saw a video of her that her husband posted this morning and that woman is as gorgeous as ever.

Obviously Adams is likely not playing Lois Lane anymore because the DCEU is done. But I’m not sure I get why Lois being 3-5 years older than she’s supposed to be now is an issue.

Women over 40 don’t just dry up and fade away to dust, you know. Believe it or not but hot men still want to have sex with them and be married to them. Crazy, I know. LOL
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 11-12-2019 at 12:19 PM.

The Lois issue is less the time jump, than the OTHER part of the overall 2G-3G-4G-5G timeline (that I didn't really speak to in my original post, to be fair).
    But then why not apply the same scrutiny to every other human character like Bruce, Steve, Jimmy, Perry, and so on who would all be either as old or older than Lois? That's what I'm not getting.

As Ascended said, the timeline likely shouldn't be taken as a continues thing. Each Crisis seems to shift things along with time. Example: Dick *should* be in his 40s if the timeline is to be taken at face value. But he's very clearly 20 something. So I wouldn't worry about an extra explanation for Lois.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I’m not exactly sure what you’re going for with this thread. Sure it’s new ground and that could be interesting I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I’m not exactly sure what you’re going for with this thread. Sure it’s new ground and that could be interesting I guess.
    It's just speculation, discussion, news, and things like that. My intent, I guess, is just fun speculation and creativity.

Would Jon have an open identity or would he try a secret one like his dad? What kind of day-job would he have?

Mighty Member

So, then (since nobody had brought it up here and I rather not bring it up elsewhere)...how would y'all feel if Superman was Superboy in the 1940's while the JSofA was still around? How would any of you feel if the Supes of today was not a 30 or 40-something, but a 80-something? More specifically, a 80-something hero.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Would Jon have an open identity or would he try a secret one like his dad? What kind of day-job would he have?
    .....farmer, maybe? Musician? Maybe artist if you're digging deep?

I feel like Bendis isn't setting Jon up for a full blown secret identity though. Clark's going public which means Jon is going public. And Jon's spent almost half his life doing crazy space prince stuff. He doesn't have a ton of "normal person" hobbies. Plus, Bendis has stated his opinion on secret identities and I don't see him doing it for Jon.

But if Bendis did? Jon could go back to the Hamilton farm. He might consider those his favorite childhood years. I mean, as soon as he moves to Metropolis his already challenging life starts to get real rocky, with the whole "future Tim Drake" thing and what not, then he spends years in space and on earth 3. I bet that farm looks real peaceful and nice in retrospect. Benefits include lots of privacy and no boss or deadlines, and half of Hamilton know who Jon really is so there's plenty of help available (plus the seed of a supporting cast).

Jon likes rock music, and with his powers would be an incredible player. He could pursue a job there. Flexible hours, lots of traveling. Easy to work Super stuff around that. Lots of room for drama and subplots in his career too.

And if I remember right Jon likes to draw, so he could chase a job in that field. Again, flexible hours and little interaction involved so it'd be easy to slip away for Super stuff. It'd be a nice way to form a emotional bond to readers if Jon was still interested in comics. Worked for Kyle Rayner.

Maybe Jon goes into intergalactic politics and becomes a hotshot new politician?

Or it could be something totally different. Or nothing. I'm betting on no real secret ID of any worth, personally.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'd say all the Kents are done with secret identities in the upcoming era.

As for what a "day-job" will look like for Jon? Well, we're hearing that all of the Superman books are going to him in 5G, and that'll include Action Comics, so I figure there'd have to be a direct reason for him to be in the city of Metropolis as exclusively as Clark was. Granted, it being the home where Superman got his start is a fairly good reason on its own, but I think there could be something slightly more specific to Jon.

I think he could work part-time in the new born United Planets embassy that's based out of Metropolis. I figure if Bendis is bold enough to bring the Earth President concept to the 21st century, then why not the embassy too? Since Earth is now entering the galactic conversation, Jon could work to help as a bridge between Earth and our new neighbors from the stars.

On a few levels he's kind of uniquely qualified in this incarnation of the DCU. By the time he's back from the 31st century he'll have a ton of intergalactic relations experience under his belt between his time with the Legion in the future, and his time with his grandpa in space in the present. If Adam Strange getting word of Jon's UP idea is any indication, he's likely famous for more than just being Superman's son now, so he'd have that going for him at any potential embassy. He's also half human and half Kryptonian, so symbolically (and functionally given he spent the first 10 years of life as a normal kid) he gets both sides.

And it would fit in with the whole First Family idea if Jon goes into some form of intergalactic politics himself. I imagine the contrast of what all of this will be 1000 years from now, and what it can be will be a big for Jon.

So, I read today's issue of Superman (17) and spotting what seems to be a homage to Superman issue 162 (the imaginary story of Superman Red and Blue) kind of lead me down a rabbit hole that *may* (I stress *may*) point to some points of inspiration for Bendis' Superman run so far. What should be noted above all else is that Bendis has openly admitted to being inspired by the ideas in the old imaginary stories of the Silver age. And over in a reddit ama Bendis named this issue's cover one of his favorites.

Similarities thus far

* Superman Red and Blue story: the events of the comic are kicked off by Kandor being fed up with Superman dragging his feet on regrowing them and a few other aspects of his life's work thus far.

- Bendis run: the run starts off with Kandor's destruction, and a Kryptonian (Jor-El) directly challenging the effectiveness of Clark's life's work thus far. This also extends to critiques on how Clark is raising his son.

* Red and Blue: this call to action makes Superman try to increase his knowledge, but a mishap splits him in two.

- Bendis run: two Superman are technically made after a mishap. Jon is aged up and (as Lobo hints in issue 7) he is on his way to becoming a Superman rather than Superboy.

* Red and Blue: the two Supermen are able regrow Kandor and together they all create New Krypton.

- Bendis run: even though Kandor is gone, through efforts of our two Supermen (well, Superman and a Superboy for now) reparations for what happened to Krypton are given, and New Krypton is made

* Red and Blue: the Legion show up and Superman has to say goodbye to a young family member.

- Bendis run: the Legion show up and Superman has to say goodbye to a young family member.

Things to come?

* Red and Blue: With a new chapter in their lives opening, Red and Blue decide to reveal their identities to Lois and Lana, and get married.

- Bendis run: with a new chapter in his life starting Clark decides to reveal his identity to the world, and by extension Jon will be revealing his identity.

* Red and Blue: both Red and Blue retire, and Blue becomes a famous scientist.

- Bendis run: if 5G is to be believed then Clark is going to become president and step back from being Superman.

* Red and Blue: the Superman reforms all the criminals on and around Earth. Lex even reforms and becomes a trusted friend.

- Bendis run: Zod has already started on the path to being reformed, and now we know that some other villains will reform because Clark reveals his identity. In Bendis' run Toyman may be the stand in for Lex in the Red and Blue story.

* Red and Blue: Kara goes off to New Krypton

- Bendis run: Kara may end up going back and forth between New Krypton and Earth, or she may become the Supergirl of New Krypton?

* Red and Blue: Red lives on New Krypton with his family, and Blue lives on Earth with his family. Both families are identical.

- Bendis run: Zod lives on New Krypton, and Clark lives on Earth. Both their families are identical.

* Red and Blue: Kara opens up the Phantom Zone and lets out all of the inmates so they can live on New Krypton.

- Bendis run: Kara did ask Zod how he plans on populating New Krypton. We may see the inmates help populate the place, and it may be Kara's idea given she was already thinking about how this would all work?

* Red and Blue: 4 year timeskip.

- Bendis run: there's a pretty solid chance that we're getting a DCU timeskip.

It's obviously not all one-to-one, but there's enough here for me at least say that this could almost be an Ultimate take on the story. It's similar to how Jessica Drew in the Ultimate Spider-Man books both function as Spider-Woman and Scarlet Spider. It

Anyways, I thought it was interesting and worth sharing on here.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Metaverse thing was mentioned in superman issue. Multiverse having a multiverse.