Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 98
  1. #16
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    I am quite surprised that - as far as I know - no one has brought up the opening to Superman #9, with an older Superman, a Super-Lois, Jon with a prosthetic arm, a Super-daughter, a married Jimmy Olsen with a son and an apparently evil Legion.

    If anyone asked me I would say that this is the first glimpse of a 5G world.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

    DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

  2. #17
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I am quite surprised that - as far as I know - no one has brought up the opening to Superman #9, with an older Superman, a Super-Lois, Jon with a prosthetic arm, a Super-daughter, a married Jimmy Olsen with a son and an apparently evil Legion.

    If anyone asked me I would say that this is the first glimpse of a 5G world.
    That didn't felt like a evil legion. But, something that was breaking a dream. Legion's timetravel must have caused some disturbance to the future. They still haven't said why jon was needed.

  3. #18
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I am quite surprised that - as far as I know - no one has brought up the opening to Superman #9, with an older Superman, a Super-Lois, Jon with a prosthetic arm, a Super-daughter, a married Jimmy Olsen with a son and an apparently evil Legion.

    If anyone asked me I would say that this is the first glimpse of a 5G world.
    I'm skeptical about that being being the world of 5G. For now, I'm thinking that and the dream in issue 5 are alternate timelines. But there's clearly been so much planning ahead that it's genially hard to predict where both those dreams fit in the narrative right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    They still haven't said why jon was needed.
    I'm waiting for issue 1 of Legion to get a clue on that. Apparently it's gonna have some 5G/timeline clue that ties into the reason at the end of issue 1.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  4. #19
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,998

    Default

    - The idea that we may be getting an influx of new young heroes in books like Young Justice during 5G makes me wonder if that was, in part, why DC was fine with thinning down their numbers with Heroes In Crisis?

    - Looking back at the structure of Invincible Iron Man (Riri), I noticed the books focus would cast a wider net. You'd get Riri, sure, but you'd also what was going on with Pepper, Amanda Armstrong, SHIELD, MJ, Friday, how Stark Industries was holding up, and the Tony AI. Bendis wasn't afraid of just shifting the focus away from Riri to continue these other characters he'd already built up, so I'm foreseeing a refined version of this in 5G.

    - Honestly, now that I think about it, there's a lot of similarities between his Superman run and his Iron Man run so far. 1) started out both runs with the OG characters (Clark and Tony) 2) both runs get relaunched with new characters 3) the new holder of the mantels both negotiated peace during times it was thought impossible (Riri brought peace to Latveria, and Jon came up with the United Planets) 4) both negotiations brought great amounts of fame and recognition to our new heroes 5) both heroes visit the future and learn they become pretty big deals 6) both new heroes are described early on as children with special needs specific to them.

    A more refined approach for his Iron Man run would honestly be ideal for what seems to be coming up.

    - Make me think the plan is to make 5G Conner something like Infamous Iron Man.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  5. #20
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,970

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    - Jon/Naomi -
    Nah man, you're not imagining it; the parallels there are strong with the Force like Jon and Naomi's last names are both Skywalker.

    That could be intentional, or it could just be that we've seen what Bendis does as a writer so much for so long his technique is transparent now.

    I'm holding off on theories, not even guessing, until we get some more info on the whole 5G thing. But I could definitely see a lot of what you suggest playing out in one way or another.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  6. #21
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,221

    Default

    Relationship for jon in his current state. Is not advisable.just making his personality more fleshed out will appreciated. As it is now he is bland and stiff like a stick.

  7. #22
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Nah man, you're not imagining it; the parallels there are strong with the Force like Jon and Naomi's last names are both Skywalker.

    That could be intentional, or it could just be that we've seen what Bendis does as a writer so much for so long his technique is transparent now.

    I'm holding off on theories, not even guessing, until we get some more info on the whole 5G thing. But I could definitely see a lot of what you suggest playing out in one way or another.
    Dude, you're not even wrong now that I think about it. The things that keep me coming back to this is the fact that on two occasions Bendis has the text itself compare the two even when they haven't met.

    There's also small stuff like the fact that both of them are stated to be 17, and that being of note since Bendis is writing a bunch of teens, new and old, yet he's only given traceable ages to these two. The only exception to this is Teen Lantern, but she, ironically, is 11 years old. If could hazard any sort of guess, I'd say he makes a point to state the ages of these three characters because when 5G and the likely time skip happen Jon and Naomi will conveniently be the same age, and, if my theory about Young Justice operating like the show works out, then Teen Lantern will not only fit her name, but she'll also be young enough to stay on the teem with the oncoming "freshmen".

    But right now it all just feels like I've got my tinfoil hat on hahaha. But I tell ya man, I really, really would dig the prospect of them getting together. If he's got in mind something with as much care as Luke and Jessica, then I'm in.

    _________________________


    TAKE WITH GRAIN OF SALT: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...d-black-label/

    Basically the idea, apparently, is to have 5G take the main line and then they'll also launch a number of new oversized (no word on if they're monthly, but given their size and price I doubt it) Black Label titles with Clark as Superman, and the rest of the replaced heroes in their mantles at $7.99 each.

    Logistically, I have no earthly idea how this is meant to work if it's even close to true. But conceptually, I think the idea is sound. The vets would be the ones who they could count on to buy something like that, and Black Label is already kind of for the comic reading experienced as much as it's for the bookstore crowd.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  8. #23
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Relationship for jon in his current state. Is not advisable.just making his personality more fleshed out will appreciated. As it is now he is bland and stiff like a stick.
    But that's how you permeate and further flesh out a character's personality. You explore their romantic and platonic relationships, and how they maneuver both informs their character. Jon's friendship with Damian is largely what most informed his character when he was younger, so it only makes sense that since now he's reached the appropriate age, how he responds to a romantic relationship can and should be explored. Interpersonal relationships is how character is formed, and, more importantly continued.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  9. #24
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But that's how you permeate and further flesh out a character's personality. You explore their romantic and platonic relationships, and how they maneuver both informs their character. Jon's friendship with Damian is largely what most informed his character when he was younger, so it only makes sense that since now he's reached the appropriate age, how he responds to a romantic relationship can and should be explored. Interpersonal relationships is how character is formed, and, more importantly continued.
    Nope, my argument is why would i or anyone care about a character's relationship he fails to be interesting himself and comes out generic without any quirks that's eye catching. Jon's relationship with damian has nothing to do with what i am talking about. This is why i prefer shonen protagonists. They make the characters themselves interesting. Whether they are teens or children or full blown adults. Can you honestly say jon has any of the "it" factor in him to attract people? I have seen new readers who have never read jon say that he is bland. I have showed them things from the past. They retracted their claim.in a character driven story,character comes first. Not relationships. For instance, they didn't have captain america get into a relationship right away. A relationship with Peggy was something that steve wanted. But, it only happened at the end of his journey. Naruto got into a relationship with hinata at the end of his journey. Luffy will never have a relationship in story. Goku too. Here, there is no character anymore.
    Romantic relationship brings nothing to the table. What does it bring in terms of superheriocs?it is just added extra that's not nearly as necessary. Create a new dynamic with jon kent, (not clark kent. Jr) and legion that's different from the past. Already they made a big mistake by not making a new legacy legion for jon. Sometimes, i really think moore is right.these guys can be creatively bankrupt.

  10. #25
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Jon's relationship with damian has nothing to do with what i am talking about.
    It does. I promise you, it does.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It does. I promise you, it does.
    Ok. Explain to me how? It is not like i want them married or something. This is'nt about shipping. When i say i would prefer jon getting injected with some personality other than Clark's. How does it connect to either being 10 year old or damian?
    How does one explain a personality? I can't even do that with clark. I can't explain a character.it is just showed in writing and incase of comics and movies through visuals. I can't explain charlie chaplin or harold lloyd. I can explain only attributes. that too i can't explain range or quantify the attributes.
    Being goofy or being emotionally exaggerated isn't a 10 year old thing nor is it connected to damian wayne frienship. Jon was a goofy kid before supersons was a thing. He had an incredible amount of emotion. Wally west, luffy, spiderman..etc all have both these attributes.
    If damian was connected to Jon's lack of personality. then why was jon bland in the supersons reunion issue? It has everything to do wih Bendis's voice for jon.he is just righting farmboy stereotype in the current jon. Jon is like "aw! Shucks! Pa!" . That's a problem. Jon was never that. He lived on a farm. But, he wasn't a stereotype of a farmboy.
    He introduced a new quirk with his alien slang thing.that fell flat and bendis quickly retracted it. Personality is important. Tony stark is just an alcoholic jerk with out it. With it he is charming fellow who gets the job done.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-07-2019 at 06:02 AM.

  12. #27

    Default

    DC doing a 3-5 year time skip for 5g would be pretty cool. I have a feeling Kara's going to end up in space while Conner stays on Earth. I could see them giving Jon a love interest but I don't know if having him go through another time-skip is wise.

    It would be cool if Steel/Lara stays together and have a kid.

  13. #28
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    DC doing a 3-5 year time skip for 5g would be pretty cool. I have a feeling Kara's going to end up in space while Conner stays on Earth. I could see them giving Jon a love interest but I don't know if having him go through another time-skip is wise.
    From the sound of things Jon becoming what is likely going to be a 21 to 22 year old adult may have been the plan from even before Bendis got there, and they were just looking to whomever the new writer would be to fill in exactly how it would go down. Two interviews seem to corroborate this theory to some degree.

    No clue on Kara. She may do some work establishing New Krypton with House Zod though?

    Conner I'm honestly getting some Infamous Iron Man vibes. I see him being more okay with leaning on the other half of his DNA a bit. And I'm predicting some form of antagonism between him and Jon's Superman. Sort of a "neo Lex" with an "I no longer play by the rules" hero bent to him.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  14. #29
    Fantastic Member astro@work's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denver metroplex
    Posts
    460

    Default

    After catching up on my reading last weekend, here is what I started to picture 5G looking like:
    (Also assumes a 3-5 year time jump)

    Jon as Superman, which seems to be pretty much a given

    Clark as an older-statesman Superman, active during big events only.

    Kara, now slightly older, active as Superwoman

    Lara, younger sister to Jon, waiting in the wings as a soon-to-be Supergirl. Born during the time jump (which avoids sidelining Lois with a pregnancy for multiple years of issues), but maybe Lois is pregnant right before we go into the time jump?

    Cathy, Jon's childhood friend from Hamilton county, as a love interest or just supporting character. She had powers from her alien heritage IIRC.

    Jimmy Olsen as a now adult editor of the Daily Planet (in a modernized incarnation since newspapers are all but dead now).

    Natasha Irons as the adult Steel (with John Henry retired and now married to Lana).

    ….

    The problematic character continues to be Lois, since she ages quicker than Clark (and I'm not anxious to see her killed in order to avoid that).
    My solution would be to have her put into stasis following complications from Lara's birth. Kryptonian technology is used to heal her the same way Clark was healed after dying. Maybe she is revived from stasis early in 5G and finds it has slowed her aging process. As a result, she is still vital and active and for the time being and is age-appropriate as Clark's wife.

  15. #30
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    5,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    After catching up on my reading last weekend, here is what I started to picture 5G looking like:
    (Also assumes a 3-5 year time jump)

    Jon as Superman, which seems to be pretty much a given

    Clark as an older-statesman Superman, active during big events only.

    Kara, now slightly older, active as Superwoman

    Lara, younger sister to Jon, waiting in the wings as a soon-to-be Supergirl. Born during the time jump (which avoids sidelining Lois with a pregnancy for multiple years of issues), but maybe Lois is pregnant right before we go into the time jump?

    Cathy, Jon's childhood friend from Hamilton county, as a love interest or just supporting character. She had powers from her alien heritage IIRC.

    Jimmy Olsen as a now adult editor of the Daily Planet (in a modernized incarnation since newspapers are all but dead now).

    Natasha Irons as the adult Steel (with John Henry retired and now married to Lana).

    ….

    The problematic character continues to be Lois, since she ages quicker than Clark (and I'm not anxious to see her killed in order to avoid that).
    My solution would be to have her put into stasis following complications from Lara's birth. Kryptonian technology is used to heal her the same way Clark was healed after dying. Maybe she is revived from stasis early in 5G and finds it has slowed her aging process. As a result, she is still vital and active and for the time being and is age-appropriate as Clark's wife.
    Except, Kathy would be about 7-8 years younger then Jon, at the least.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •