Default More Mature Archie tittles?

Some of my first comics were Archie comics. I bonded with my dad over them and had a great time. But I have not read an Archie in ten years. I just grew out of them. But recently I started watching Riverdale and am really enjoying it. So I was wondering are there any mature Archie comics like the show? I also heard there were horror Archie comics?

If anyone could give some suggestions that would be great and I would be thankful for the help.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Some of my first comics were Archie comics. I bonded with my dad over them and had a great time. But I have not read an Archie in ten years. I just grew out of them. But recently I started watching Riverdale and am really enjoying it. So I was wondering are there any mature Archie comics like the show? I also heard there were horror Archie comics?

If anyone could give some suggestions that would be great and I would be thankful for the help.
    They are doing some comics based on the show. I think there are at least 3 trades out now. Probably have to seek them online if you don't have a comic book store near you. Barnes & Nobles might have them.

Ultimate Member

There's the ones that directly tie into the show. The revamped mainstream Archie line is more modern, but I'm not sure if they're more "mature." The Archie horror comics have been around for a few years now and mostly have been really well received, but they come out irregularly. You might want to check out the "Married Life With Archie" comics from several years ago. In one storyline he marries Veronica and in the other he marries Betty. He lives very different lives in each, but is forced to deal with "adult" issues ( career, money, disease, death, etc).

Astonishing Member

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, sadly, is not longer being published, but it was one of the best horror titles published by anyone. Pick up the trades. It definitely is not for kids. As ed2962 pointed out above, there was a "Life with Archie" series that ran for 37 issues starting in 2010 in which Archie was married to Betty (in one timeline) and to Veronica (in the other timeline), with (no real spoiler here) Archie dying in issue #36 (in a shooting incident) in both timelines. Since it focused on adult characters, their problems were more nearly "mature" than the usual high school angst about who to take to the prom, etc. There is currently ongoing a limited series that tells 2 still different timelines (again, one with Archie married to Betty, and the other with him married to Veronica) starting 10 years after the wedding, and the characters have to cope with adult problems like their parents' dementia and death, divorces, and so on. The regular "Archie" titles aren't really "mature", but (following a re-launch with #700) they have been perhaps a bit more nearly realistic in their depiction of 21st Century life.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, sadly, is not longer being published, but it was one of the best horror titles published by anyone. Pick up the trades. It definitely is not for kids.
    The only "Archie" book that I could say I really looked forward to without feeling like a weirdo. Shame it's over.