Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: World War X

Default World War X

Has anybody heard of the rumor surrounding Marvels next big event "World War X" or should I say World War M which features all of the mutants on Krakoa taking on the rest of Marvel Earth ?.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Extraordinary Member

Wasn't what we all just sort of assumed was going to happen?

Yawn another Hero Vs Hero event

Astonishing Member

I don’t see it happening until either Hickman thinks his story is sufficiently told and/or Marvel wants to cut off 5G at the knees

But I don’t think anyone’s looking forward to another pointless event when everyone whose not a mutant is portrayed as a fascist thug when (some of) the X-Men make yet another play for world domination

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I don’t see it happening until either Hickman thinks his story is sufficiently told and/or Marvel wants to cut off 5G at the knees

But I don’t think anyone’s looking forward to another pointless event when everyone whose not a mutant is portrayed as a fascist thug when (some of) the X-Men make yet another play for world domination
    I am!

But honestly, I think Hickman has this planned. And I give it two years to take.

So far, this is just a rumor.

But it's a very plausible rumor.

Hickman wrote Avengers before. Now, he's writing X-Men. I can totally see him linking the threads of his Avengers story with what he's developing in X-Men. It could set the stage for an Avengers vs. X-Men 2, although I personally think World War X sounds better. Avengers vs. X-Men has some baggage with it that I think could drag the event down. If this event happens to coincide with announcements of mutants in the MCU, then that'll just be icing on the cake.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member

Unless Marvel decides to repeat Heroes Reborn (unlikely), any World War X is going to end in a pointless and bitter stalemate with aggrieved fans, the event cycle having poisoned the market that little bit more and AT&T that bit more likely to sell the other guys.

And nothing whatsoever will have really changed except now the internet Marvel fans hate the X-Men as much as the internet X-fans hate the rest of Marvel. Yippee

Not a good idea. For reasons I tweeted about just yesterday.

Pinning franchises against each other leads to tribalism. Tribalism leads to hostility. Hostility leads to less comics being sold as less people are cross-buying between franchises.

In this day and age when Manga and Raina Telgemeier YA graphic novels are outselling superheroes by a wide, WIDE margin, continuing the theme of pinning franchises within the superhero genre against each other would be an infinitely idiotic business move. Or, to be more succinct, Brevoort was wrong when he said a few years back that even bad publicity (for which fandom infighting would qualify) works in Marvel's favor. Recent years have proven, without a doubt, that it doesn't. And if Marvel itself isn't a good enough example of this (Marvel's worst sales year in recent times was 2017, the year Secret Empire was released), just look at Star Wars.

Extraordinary Member

I just don't know why you all think thisnis such a bad idea, especially with Hickman and Marvel's other current crop at the helm.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

You mean the rumour that was started here on CBR?

They might do an event where villains from another heroes try to attack the X-Men w/o the interference from other heroes.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I just don't know why you all think thisnis such a bad idea, especially with Hickman and Marvel's other current crop at the helm.
    Because it will make the already existing tension between X-Men and Avengers fans worse. And a fandom that is inhospitable drives fans away (re: Star Wars). Have you been on Twitter? It's already pretty bad. Superhero comic sales are struggling, one side is going to come out looking bad in this, as is always the case with hero vs. hero storytelling. Marvel really can't afford to be chasing readers/consumers away at the moment.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 10-30-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Because it will make the already existing tension between X-Men and Avengers fans worse. And a fandom that is inhospitable drives fans away (re: Star Wars). Have you been on Twitter? It's already pretty bad. Superhero comic sales are struggling, one side is going to come out looking bad in this, as is always the case with hero vs. hero storytelling. Marvel really can't afford to be chasing readers/consumers away at the moment.
    But is is that simple? My theory is that some of the mutants on Krakoa will become mutant fugitives and go to the Avengers for help. And there are so many villains on the island that the fighting may be between them more than anything.

And I'm sorry, but hero vs hero events can sell very well.

Do I think Marvel has had a problem with event fatigue? Yes, but they are having vastly fewer big events. The last big one was War of the Realms and that did good. So long that Hickman does this a few years out and sets the proper groundwork, we'll be fine.

And don't compare us to Star Wars fans. That fandom had issues long before any of this. And I liked The Last Jedi.

But is is that simple? My theory is that some of the mutants on Krakoa will become mutant fugitives and go to the Avengers for help. And there are so many villains on the island that the fighting may be between them more than anything.

And I'm sorry, but hero vs hero events can sell very well.

Do I think Marvel has had a problem with event fatigue? Yes, but they are having vastly fewer big events. The last big one was War of the Realms and that did good. So long that Hickman does this a few years out and sets the proper groundwork, we'll be fine.

And don't compare us to Star Wars fans. That fandom had issues long before any of this. And I liked The Last Jedi.
    War of the Realms was heroes teaming up to fight a clear villain (Malekith), they weren't fighting each other.

And the first Civil War sold well because of shock value and because it was timely, a metaphor for the Patriot Act during the Bush administration during an era where Snowden was busy collecting data on the specific ramifications of that. Go back and reread it and it's not particularly well-written. The fact that it was successful at the time was because it was a product of its time.

After that, and with each steady hero vs. hero conflict, sales started to decline, leading to 2017 being the worst year of sales/revenue since 2011 for Marvel, the controversy sprung by Secret Empire being one of the determining factors. And of the events, the hero vs. hero conflicts were followed by a steady decline in sales of individual titles afterwards, particularly towards certain characters. Some characters take years to be redeemed afterwards: Stark after Civil War, Danvers after Civil War 2, Richards after Civil War, etc. Also, if you look at recent examples, say 2014 and up, so five years, Infinity, a non-hero vs. hero event, outsold the hero vs. hero events. As I said, hero vs. hero conflict leads to tribalism, and you get enough hostile fans and you're chasing away readers.

I, myself, am an example of this. I refuse to buy an X-Men comic at all these days (with the one recent exception being the Domino series because I like Gail Simone and because Rachel/Diamondback was in it) because of how terrible the fans of the X-Men are towards my favorite character, Captain America, so terrible that their behavior made me ambivalent about the X-Men themselves through a conditioned Pavlovian response of I-associate-these-characters-through-their-fans-now-so-I-don't-want-anything-to-do-with-them. And I'm a paying fan. I don't bootleg, on principle. I subscribe. I go every week and pick up my pulls. I buy a lot of comics every month but I could be buying more if things were different, as a consummate bookworm I'd rather have more to read than less, but piss me off, as is the case with any consumer, and I won't buy. That's how consumerism works. Supply and demand. Tension (re: hero vs. hero conflict) can only hold a fan for so long. Pour too much in and ambivalence starts to kick in because it requires too much energy to hold onto anger and that's the exact point when you lose readers.

X-Men fans may be clamoring for a war because they feel secure under Hickman that the X-Men fans come out on top. But Avengers fans beg to differ (Avengers twitter after the recent Jordan White interview for Newsarama was a sight to behold - I, myself, took a more direct approach, I emailed Marvel to express my displeasure directly, respectfully, of course). And we're paying customers, too.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 10-30-2019 at 11:06 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    War of the Realms was heroes teaming up to fight a clear villain (Malekith), they weren't fighting each other.

And the first Civil War sold well because of shock value and because it was timely, a metaphor for the Patriot Act during the Bush administration during an era where Snowden was busy collecting data on the specific ramifications of that. Go back and reread it and it's not particularly well-written. The fact that it was successful at the time was because it was a product of its time.

After that, and with each steady hero vs. hero conflict, sales started to decline, leading to 2017 being the worst year of sales/revenue since 2011 for Marvel, the controversy sprung by Secret Empire being one of the determining factors. And of the events, the hero vs. hero conflicts were followed by a steady decline in sales of individual titles afterwards, particularly towards certain characters. Some characters take years to be redeemed afterwards: Stark after Civil War, Danvers after Civil War 2, Richards after Civil War, etc. Also, if you look at recent examples, say 2014 and up, so five years, Infinity, a non-hero vs. hero event, outsold the hero vs. hero events. As I said, hero vs. hero conflict leads to tribalism, and you get enough hostile fans and you're chasing away readers.

I, myself, am an example of this. I refuse to buy an X-Men comic at all these days (with the one recent exception being the Domino series because I like Gail Simone and because Rachel/Diamondback was in it) because of how terrible the fans of the X-Men are towards my favorite character, Captain America, so terrible that their behavior made me ambivalent about the X-Men themselves through a conditioned Pavlovian response of I-associate-these-characters-through-their-fans-now-so-I-don't-want-anything-to-do-with-them. And I'm a paying fan. I don't bootleg, on principle. I subscribe. I go every week and pick up my pulls. I buy a lot of comics every month but I could be buying more if things were different, as a consummate bookworm I'd rather have more to read than less, but piss me off, as is the case with any consumer, and I won't buy. That's how consumerism works. Supply and demand. Tension (re: hero vs. hero conflict) can only hold a fan for so long. Pour too much in and ambivalence starts to kick in because it requires too much energy to hold onto anger and that's the exact point when you lose readers.

X-Men fans may be clamoring for a war because they feel secure under Hickman that the X-Men fans come out on top. But Avengers fans beg to differ (Avengers twitter after the recent Jordan White interview for Newsarama was a sight to behold - I, myself, took a more direct approach, I emailed Marvel to express my displeasure directly, respectfully, of course). And we're paying costumers, too.
    OK, has anyone else not brought an X-Men book for this reason?

OK, has anyone else not brought an X-Men book for this reason?
    Some very recent tweets found on twitter, a collection, with names cut out to protect the users. I did not write or post a single one of these, myself, and these are a few of many.

twitter.jpg