Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: World War X

Just read X-Men/Fantastic Four....

Huh.

I may not be right on the Illuminati part (yet), but I was so on the money when it came to Reed Richards being the main player against Krakoa even as people told me otherwise that it was, shall we say, Uncanny?

His X-gene masking device will definitely be important later. If he was willing to use it on his own beloved son, you better believe he'll use it against opposing mutants as a weapon, and who knows how much further he'll go if push comes to shove. I honestly don't even get why people thought Reed would be just fine with Krakoa, when that first issue made it clear he wasn't at all on board with it.

But anyways, what do you think are the ramifications of this? Even if it's not Reed, I suspect that someone, likely multiple people, will be able to steal/replicate Reed's X-gene masking device and use it against the mutant population later on.

Is this going to lead to a big battle between Reed and Xavier?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post

Huh.

I may not be right on the Illuminati part (yet), but I was so on the money when it came to Reed Richards being the main player against Krakoa even as people told me otherwise that it was, shall we say, Uncanny?

His X-gene masking device will definitely be important later. If he was willing to use it on his own beloved son, you better believe he'll use it against opposing mutants as a weapon, and who knows how much further he'll go if push comes to shove. I honestly don't even get why people thought Reed would be just fine with Krakoa, when that first issue made it clear he wasn't at all on board with it.

But anyways, what do you think are the ramifications of this? Even if it's not Reed, I suspect that someone, likely multiple people, will be able to steal/replicate Reed's X-gene masking device and use it against the mutant population later on.

We'll have to wait for the rest of X-Men/FF to see or know for sure. I still don't think Reed will deliberately throw in his lot with the likes of ORCHIS, but like with the satellite base ORCHIS was using in House of X, I can see this latest invention of his being somehow stolen or replicated by ORCHIS to use against the mutants of Krakoa, exacerbating the tensions between the mutants and the nonmutant superhero community.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Huh.

This only prevent mutants from going to krakoa , it could be used as a weapon but marauders exist for these kind of situations . I don’t think it will be a big deal

Quote Originally Posted by hulkling View Post
    This only prevent mutants from going to krakoa , it could be used as a weapon but marauders exist for these kind of situations . I don’t think it will be a big deal
    Here's the thing: The basis for mutants having diplomatic immunity is that they can access their nation on a whim and escape. However, if they can't actually go through the portals and are stuck at whatever place they're wronging, well... they suddenly have a lot less leverage for their amnesty. This was acknowledged as a major threat to Krakoan society once discovered.

And if Reed could create this device in his spare time, he can probably go further. This is Reed we're talking about, nothing is the limits when it comes to science.

Sure, he may have gotten chewed out when he used it, but that was only because of the target being his own son. If he were to use it in a different situation against mutants the FF and other non-mutants are at odds with, they would much likely be singing a very different tune.

Here's the thing: The basis for mutants having diplomatic immunity is that they can access their nation on a whim and escape. However, if they can't actually go through the portals and are stuck at whatever place they're wronging, well... they suddenly have a lot less leverage for their amnesty. This was acknowledged as a major threat to Krakoan society once discovered.
    Um I dont think thats the 'basis' of their diplomatic immunity

"wronging"? You mean trying to save the lives of mistreated mutants???
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Um I dont think thats the 'basis' of their diplomatic immunity

"wronging"? You mean trying to save the lives of mistreated mutants???
    Um, the fact that they can escape to their nation at any time is a big part in why they're so untouchable, yeah. If they can't actually enter the portals, and the means to prevent it can be weaponized, then yeah they suddenly lose a whole lot of leverage...

Oh, and I'm sure that's what Mystique, Toad and Sabretooth were totally doing in HoX #1. I don't even get X-Men fans acting like Krakoa is some unambiguously good thing. Have you noticed all the people who think it's weird, both in-universe and out, because it's like a cult? How Xavier is rocking obviously evil look and talking down on humanity? How they're allowing all mutant monsters to be free just for being mutants? How they proclaim themselves as "Gods"? How other superheroes are at odds with it, like Reed himself? Dude, I think it's an interesting story arc for, but anyone who thinks Krakoa is a perfect, permanent status quo might be on Crackoa.

It's like The Initiative after Civil War, a period of things being different specifically to tell stories you can't normally do, before things revert to a more recognizable status quo. You need to look at the topic you're posting in, and remember why World War X is the event we all believe will happen.

So I thought about the masking device more, and there’s another possibility:

What if it’s developed further to not only prevent mutants from entering the portals, but to trick the portals into allowing non-mutants inside?

The context gave me the impression that Reed built that device in his spare time, which means it could probably be upgraded with more time spent on it. Even if Reed doesn’t do it, at least not for nefarious reasons, it’s not hard to imagine people like ORCHIS or Doctor Doom would do that and begin attacks on the nation. This would do a lot in escalating tensions, and potentially lead to the hypothetical World War X.

Oh, and I'm sure that's what Mystique, Toad and Sabretooth were totally doing in HoX #1. I don't even get X-Men fans acting like Krakoa is some unambiguously good thing. Have you noticed all the people who think it's weird, both in-universe and out, because it's like a cult? How Xavier is rocking obviously evil look and talking down on humanity? How they're allowing all mutant monsters to be free just for being mutants? How they proclaim themselves as "Gods"? How other superheroes are at odds with it, like Reed himself? Dude, I think it's an interesting story arc for, but anyone who thinks Krakoa is a perfect, permanent status quo might be on Crackoa.
    No they were stealing the schematics on Mutant Genocide machines devised from Stsrk and Reed's designs in order to destroy it thus preventing another Genosha and the machines eventually turning on humanity
    You need to look at the topic you're posting in, and remember why World War X is the event we all believe will happen.
    Because a few of you reeeeeeally like AvX??
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

So is no one talking about Hank trying to bug ththe Avengers?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    So is no one talking about Hank trying to bug ththe Avengers?
    Wait, Hank is WHAT?!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Wait, Hank is WHAT?!
    Trying to create listening devices. It was in the new X-Force issue. Sort of a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Trying to create listening devices. It was in the new X-Force issue. Sort of a big deal.
    That is a big deal! It is repugnant. Geesh. Well, let's hope the X-Men have a Snowden, or at least someone with half a moral concept of right vs. wrong within their midst.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    That is a big deal! It is repugnant. Geesh. Well, let's hope the X-Men have a Snowden, or at least someone with half a moral concept of right vs. wrong within their midst.
    Honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Reed creates a machine that affects a person's genetics and he's a genius! but mutants try to listen in to get a heads up on the new machines designed to kill them and they're repugnant?? Ok
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Reed creates a machine that affects a person's genetics and he's a genius! but mutants try to listen in to get a heads up on the new machines designed to kill them and they're repugnant?? Ok
    It is repugnant. I thought so in real-life when Snowden first released his intel and I think so now. I put tape over the camera on my laptop, that's how opposed I am to being spied on, particularly as a woman. It's invasive and it's gross.

Also, a) Reed is not an Avenger

and b) the Avengers are not sitting around creating technology to take out mutants. In fact the mutant situation has not been addressed AT ALL in the current Avengers run (which is practical as they've spent the last several issues in space and before that, hell, in a race between the Ghost Riders). But even if they haven't been too busy to address what's going on in Krakoa, T'Challa is the Avengers chair. He is dating Storm. He's not exactly sitting around planning out how to take out his girlfriend, that would make for a pretty sucky relationship, don't you think? Besides which, the Avengers have declared themselves to be not affiliated, at all, with any one particular nation. As far as they're concerned, they are a neutral party. I mean, they live in the North Pole, that's about as neutral as you can get.

Last edited by capandkirby; 02-12-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member

My issue is that Hank is lumping the Avengers in with actual pro-human groups that want to destroy the X-Men. Even if you think the mutants haven't gotten much help from the Avengers in the past, the Avengers don't want to reign death down on Krakoa or anything. They are potentially powerful allies. And instead, Hank is just treating his former friends as enemies.