Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: World War X

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    How can you train a baby to control a cosmic Force??
    Hmmmm they didn't trust the X-Men to deal with the Phoenix.... tried to stop it in space then tried to stop it thus creating the P5 ....here they're inviting an eeriely similar force to chill on. Earth
    In the instance of the Phoenix in AvX, it was destroying every planet on it's path to earth. So trying to prevent Phoenix from coming to earth in that instance made a bit more sense. If the Starbrand was actively blowing up planets at the time of the story, they'd probably think twice about taking it to earth in this story too.

But yeah... similar to AvX they are going to need to be able to keep the cosmic entity under control. The fact that it's a bady certainly makes it a bigger problem (though this is comics, so there's probably an 80% chance the baby will start growing at an accelatated rate since that's what often happens to babies in situations like this).

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I would point out that while the Avengers had no plans whatsoever to harm Hope; they were being directed into that morass by two people who would be very willing to hurt her, as much out of a desire to spite Scott as a fear of another Dark Phoenix
    Wolverine was certainly willing to harm Hope if necessary... which is big part of the reason why Hope left Cyclops and sought out Wolverine for help. Wolverine arguably had the proper perspective on the matter. Arguably.

It should be pointed out that Hope was unable to control the Phoenix when it arrived on the moon. So Logan's concerns proved correct (and Hope said as much during and after her encounter with the Phoenix).

And theoretically that might be needed for this situation as well. The baby might need to be killed. And that's something Steve I'm sure will be very very resistant to do. T'CHalla probably less so.... so that should be interesting if it comes to that.
    Last edited by XPac; 02-13-2020 at 12:43 PM.

I would point out that while the Avengers had no plans whatsoever to harm Hope; they were being directed into that morass by two people who would be very willing to hurt her, as much out of a desire to spite Scott as a fear of another Dark Phoenix
    Flat-out murder, in cold blood. Clearly stated. There is no having to decipher intentions here and make assumptions on motivations. The two situations are not comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Wolverine was certainly willing to harm Hope if necessary... which is big part of the reason why Hope left Cyclops and sought out Wolverine for help. Wolverine arguably had the proper perspective on the matter. Arguably.

It should be pointed out that Hope was unable to control the Phoenix when it arrived on the moon. So Logan's concerns proved correct (and Hope said as much during and after her encounter with the Phoenix).

And theoretically that might be needed for this situation as well. The baby might need to be killed. And that's something Steve I'm sure will be very very resistant to do. T'CHalla probably less so.... so that should be interesting if it comes to that.
    Please no! I will never forgive you Jason Aaron! Never, ever!

Extraordinary Member

No! Not the baby! Don't hurt the baby!

To be fair about the baby, the Avengers don't really have a choice here. You either kill this adorable baby girl or you find the safest place to raise her. Even Wolverine couldn't kill a baby.

So was it revealed where and by whom the baby is being raised ?.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    So was it revealed where and by whom the baby is being raised ?.
    Not yet, but she seems to be at Avengers Mountain and it appears to be a team effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Not yet, but she seems to be at Avengers Mountain and it appears to be a team effort.
    When I finished reading the issue I thought "who is going to look after this baby" ?.
    I wonder if this will be addressed in future issues ?.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.

Surely an Avengers-Mutant confrontation is just around the corner after reading the latest X-Force# 7 which suggests the Beast is going to setup spyware in the Whitehouse, Roxxon, Stark Unlimited and Avengers Mountain.
    Professor Xavier seems more like the old Magneto in these latest issues, blind mutant agendas no matter the result.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Reed creates a machine that affects a person's genetics and he's a genius! but mutants try to listen in to get a heads up on the new machines designed to kill them and they're repugnant?? Ok
    It does not affect genetics...it simply masks them. Beyond just being a mutant...Franklin is also the son of 2 famous super people who have a lot of enemies...considering that and all the threats to mutants out there I see no problem with Reed protecting his son. That is his responsibility as a parent. No different that tracking your kids cel phone or monitoring their social media to ensure your kids safety from predators like creepy bald dudes wearing metal helmets running around with magnetic terrorist responsible for countless deaths while spouting supremacy rhetoric.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    Surely an Avengers-Mutant confrontation is just around the corner after reading the latest X-Force# 7 which suggests the Beast is going to setup spyware in the Whitehouse, Roxxon, Stark Unlimited and Avengers Mountain.
    Professor Xavier seems more like the old Magneto in these latest issues, blind mutant agendas no matter the result.
    Well, yeah, there's no way to avoid it now.

I can't wait for the X-boards to burn lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Well, yeah, there's no way to avoid it now.

I can't wait for the X-boards to burn lol
    I would rather not see the rest of Marvel laid to waste in the process, because make no mistake the X-books are the being treated as the returned prodigal child and it wouldn’t be the first time Marvel’s offered up another IP to them as a fattened calf

Isn’t that right, half-eaten carcass of Marvel UK?

Extraordinary Member

I would rather not see the rest of Marvel laid to waste in the process, because make no mistake the X-books are the being treated as the returned prodigal child and it wouldn’t be the first time Marvel’s offered up another IP to them as a fattened calf

Now, now, we all know we want to watch it all burn to the ground. I'll make s'mores!

LMAO!!! And that's what you think will happen do you? In this economy?! You think that Marvel will allow some of the few remaining characters they have left who can carry a solo title (and sell above 20k issues a month, any book selling above that amount is profitable for Marvel/Disney) burn to the ground to offer the X-Men a chance to carry the industry all by themselves and that the X-Men alone would be able to actually do that? (and looking at the last six months of data on comichron those solo characters selling over 20k a month would be: Peter Parker, Venom, Bruce Banner, Thor, Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, Carol Danvers, Matt Murdock, Miles Morales, Felicia Hardy, and Jane Foster).

Let me make you aware of a few factoids:

Superheroes, as a whole (the Avengers and X-Men and the Spider-family ALL) are only making up 10% of comic sales these days, with manga and YA graphic novels like the ones written by Raina Telgemeier leaving them in the dust.

Source

The 10% is for bookstores btw... and I'm sure you're next question will be, well, what about the direct market? Surely superhero comics are doing really well there? Nope. They are not...

Excerpt from article I linked above:

ICv2 notes a massive shift in the past two years, with kid-oriented titles for readers age 6-18 up 20% in comic store sales and 39% in bookstores, manga up 41% in comics stores and 5% in bookstores, while superhero graphic novels (typically collections of previously-issued periodicals) fell 10% in bookstores and 15% in comic shops.
    And I'm positive your next question would be, but Marvel has the X-Men back now, surely they improved things enough... N-O-P-E.

Excerpt:

Superheroes represent a declining share of the fastest-growing segments and channels of the comics market. They still dominate in single-issue sales in comic shops, but both single issues as a format and comic shops as a channel represent a much smaller and shrinking share of the overall market than has been the case in years’ past.
    So what can we gather from this? Were Marvel to chase away fans, such as myself (and my daughter, because if I'm going she goes, too) who only buy non-X-Men titles, and it came down to JUST X-Men sales in a market that is already massively struggling to stay relevant even when ALL IPs work together, you get the end of the monthly serial. This is not going to end like Highlander 'there can only be one'. There can't only be one, because there's a struggle right now with many.

Moral of the story: you X-Men fans all smug and content to be obnoxious to fans of other IPs might want to take that smugness down a notch. If Avengers go down, so, too, do you. You're on the Titanic right along with us.

Astonishing Member

I wasn’t arguing for the X-Men’s supremacy, I was saying I don’t want to lose my favs just to knock the X-Men down a peg (something that probably should have happened after new tian)

Just because I can sort of see the in-universe logic of the X-Men being jackasses doesn’t mean I want them to win the Franchise wars, especially when some time-deaf x-writer will eventually do something dodgy like have an X-men flatten/burn/drown Wakanda (again), send Gorgon after Aero for the “crime” of using a Guthrie’s “true name” or have Betsy go after Faiza for Excalibur.
    Last edited by king of hybrids; 02-14-2020 at 03:01 PM.