Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default DCeased #6 Discussion/Spoilers

This series has come to a conclusion and there are a few good aspects and others less so.

Tom Taylor brings the final chapter that plays with the terrible ramifications of a corrupted Superman (which wouldn't be the first time he does it though). Obviously, every hero here is bound to fail and Earth is pretty much doomed in this situation but Taylor manages to deliver a few interesting moments from a scope standpoint and I suppose this is the least you can expect from him usually, the battles have a nice sense of scale and the end of the world looks appropriately epic.

If there's a complaint I have though is that, once again, I don't like how Taylor writes Green Arrow. He insist on portraying him as an "everyman" reaching the point where Batman didn't even consider him a threat and didn't prepare a takedown plan for him. Sure, I don't think Ollie should be a "planetary threat" and Taylor does give him a little respect halfway but does it in its typical everyman-ish way where his only dangerous aspects reside in his archery skills instead of his flawed and fluctuating personality.

I don't know if this is the end of story per se but it's the end for now at least. Plus, the final page points towards yet another Taylor work, hopefully he will have better luck with this "Earth 2" than with the last one.

Trevor Hairsine remains in art duties and his work has become more polished and better at depicting the huge action scenes.

Decent enough finale, let's see if the universe continues from now on.

I swear to God, I am so sick of the "Absolutely NO ONE--neither individually, nor collectively as a group--can POSSIBLY match Superman when 'he's not holding back'" trope.

It is up there with Batman's "prep-type" as some of the most obnoxious fan-wank in comics.
    F*** Tom Taylor and f*** this comic.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I swear to God, I am so sick of the "Absolutely NO ONE--neither individually, nor collectively as a group--can POSSIBLY match Superman when 'he's not holding back'" trope.
    I wouldn't go so far to insult him but what else were you expecting from Taylor?

I liked it, I will say it does feel like it lessened the impact by feeling as though it set up a sequel and not telling a one and done story. However this was a pretty fun story in the way that Taylor normally writes, though I will admit I’m a fan of his Injustice series so some bias for me. Overall it had some very good moments and I’m glad to see where some characters ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

It is up there with Batman's "prep-type" as some of the most obnoxious fan-wank in comics.
    F*** Tom Taylor and f*** this comic.
    I mean it makes sense in this context, the Virus can spread easy through infection and Superman is hard to kill. Just last issue Superman clearly survived Nuclear detonation, so we already had an idea it would be hard to take him on in a feral zombie state. I think the fact that they damage him was fair, though I’ll admit I don’t agree with the idea that at the end they can’t get him in the manner they say.

I mean you’re telling me spoilers:
    Green Lantern rings can’t reach into the sun? That doesn’t seem right to me.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by sifighter; 10-30-2019 at 05:30 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Overall, that was one hell of a good story. Tom Taylor is one of the most talented writers of lately.

I agree with some criticism about the timing of some jokes and the lack of emotional response... But I guess it was a bloodbath and we couldn't properly react to every death anyway.

The art couldn't keep up tho. The splash page of Diana putting the sword of Clark almost made me laugh, so bad it was drawn.

That was so incredibly stupid, even dumber than Injustice. And the ending was Taylor just literally rehashing the ending for Earth 2. I guess he’ll get another series since this one sold so well, and Zombie Supes/WW will probably follow them to the next Earth. I guess it was better than Marvel Zombies but that’s not saying much.

*shrug* I liked this ending. The only thing I really had gripes with was the part with Vic and Diana (which, honestly didn't need to happen. We didn't need a sequel hook. And of course Vic was stupid enough to turn his back to a zombie Wonder Woman)

Other than that, I thought this whole series was pretty great and it gave me an ending that was WAY happier than I was expecting. Also a very good scene for what is likely the last time we'll see real Jon.

So wait...

Superman, after he got infected, was planning to fly into space where he'd freeze and wouldn't be a threat.

But after the infection took over, he had no problem first flying into space, and then flying across the solar system to fly into the sun.

Huh?!

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    So wait...

Superman, after he got infected, was planning to fly into space where he'd freeze and wouldn't be a threat.

But after the infection took over, he had no problem first flying into space, and then flying across the solar system to fly into the sun.

Huh?!
    I think his plan was to actually suffocate himself or remove oxygen from his body so he’d die without air or something. It wasn’t exactly the best plan but he was Lacking of time to think through his plan so, I’ll let it slightly pass.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think his plan was to actually suffocate himself or remove oxygen from his body so he’d die without air or something. It wasn’t exactly the best plan but he was Lacking of time to think through his plan so, I’ll let it slightly pass.
    Yeah I think that's what he was trying to do, then I'm guessing zombie-Supes doesn't require oxygen to function so he has no trouble spending time in space.

Amazing Member

I think this might be the first thing I’ve read by Tom Taylor. I didn’t really get the sense that he has much of a writer’s “voice” (like, there just seemed to be something generic about everything, from the storyline to the choice of characters to the dialogue) but I did enjoy it overall and there were some quite strong individual moments, like the narration about how Athena and her patronages related to the threat, and how Superman stopped Flash last issue.

One thing I didn’t understand though was whatever insight into the Anti-Life equation Cyborg learned from Wonder Woman. I thought it was saying that they just needed to turn off/kill Cyborg and the infected would go back to normal, but then she killed him and nothing happened. What did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by Blacula View Post
    I think this might be the first thing I’ve read by Tom Taylor. I didn’t really get the sense that he has much of a writer’s “voice” (like, there just seemed to be something generic about everything, from the storyline to the choice of characters to the dialogue) but I did enjoy it overall and there were some quite strong individual moments, like the narration about how Athena and her patronages related to the threat, and how Superman stopped Flash last issue.

One thing I didn’t understand though was whatever insight into the Anti-Life equation Cyborg learned from Wonder Woman. I thought it was saying that they just needed to turn off/kill Cyborg and the infected would go back to normal, but then she killed him and nothing happened. What did I miss?
    Victor did hold the key, but it wasn't an "on/off" switch. He would have been able to develop the cure, but zombie Diana killed him before he could let the arks know.

Anyway, kind of sad there wasn't any Jason. So many missed zombie jokes there.

Give this man SuperSons!
    Give this man Superman!
    Give this man Batman!
    Ffs, do it DC!

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Give this man SuperSons!
    Give this man Superman!
    Give this man Batman!
    Ffs, do it DC!
    They gave him Suicide Squad...so that book will probably be good. Personally after Injustice and this I would give him Green Arrow.
    Words to live by.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Personally after Injustice and this I would give him Green Arrow.
    Good GOD no.