Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Does anyone remember the Arrako story off the top of their heads. What happened to it?
    ha! I just now had to google it....

Powers of X #4 gave us a brief history of Krakoa - it was originally one island, Okkara, that was split in two by an invasion from what appeared to be Limbo, a realm of demons. The demons were repelled by Apocalypse and his first horsemen, and Krakoa was left on Earth, while Arrako and possibly the first horsemen were sealed away in another realm, with the first horsemen standing guard in case of another invasion
    GrindrStone(D)

ah ok so it was Limbo. Not Otherworld. Still intrguing though. Hmmm.

Does anyone remember the Arrako story off the top of their heads. What happened to it?
    A land mass was split, I forget its name, but the two parts left were Arrako and Krakoa, Arrako seems to be evil, maybe even Limbo, Poccies first Horsemen subdued it and have been keeping it at bay.

[Ninja'd]

"We were Okkara. The one land. The twilight sword of the enemy tore the world asunder, and what was one became two: Arakko and Krakoa. And from the chasm between them - from whatever wicked place they came - the enemy poured into this world. If not for the man who was not a man - the first mutant - the warrior-god in blue - the world would have fallen. But using all his mighty powers, he stood in the gap - pushed Arakko through the chasm - set his FOUR to sentinel that land... and sealed the chasm shut. Never to be opened again.
    It was a thing that had to happen - it was - but Krakoa remains alone - a half not whole - for now and forever".

I'm obsessed with this story.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Arrako or Akkaba?

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Interesting read for a first issue. Great to see Brian and Betsy interacting along with Meggan and Jaime. Not sure how A factors into things,but i am wondering where is Evan?Otherworld is a good place to intersect magic and mutants. Hope the Technet show up. Good start.

Ooh I would totally dig Genesis showing up in this. Would definitely help in differentiating him from Apoc. Even though he is now showing interest in the new status quo of magic.

Decent issue. As a fantasy reader yes it’s very 101 so far.

I enjoyed Morgana the most in her Tarot appereance some years ago. It made her more nuanced as this went the other way. Still she is the villain and I shouldn’t be so hard on Tini so far.

Betsy was great and Apocalypse was bearable. Witch in itself should be read as high praise for Tini.

Gambit was back to Chump-bit and Rouge felt a bit bland. Jubilee was just shoehorned in.

I liked Trinity and I felt she handled Apocalypse with just the right amount sass. A comic like this needs characters like her to treat apocalypse like a prick. Not the Gambit way who is just a bad action hero stereotype. It was Xander from Buffy without the comedy or the emotional core he provided.

I have read Excalibur and a lot of Marvel-magic. Morgana is a hard character to get right. At best she is conflicted and her arrogance covers a rather lonely soul. She is,as a villain and magic user, woefully different in power feats under different writers. If one where to create any sort of normalcy she one of the more powerful casters in MU. More of a magic being the say Dr strange but bellow others like Dormamu or any entities.

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    How about if they had put a McDonalds next to the castle, would that have made it better for you?
    No, I am ok with it being old-worldy, I do not know from where do you get the McDonald thing. But you know, for it being the plane of magic, Otherworld is just... medieval england. Just in Europe there are a ton of magical traditions, and Otherworld is supposed to reflect all magic. Like, is there another plane for bantu magic, for example? Do roma sorcerers all draw their magic from Avalon, too?. As I said, this has nothing to do with this issue in particular, it has always been a feature of Otherworld. This made sense when it first appeared, because it was supposed to be kind of the magic shadow of Great Britain, and Brian would even lose his powers when he was away from the islands. But now that it is presented as the plane of all magic, it feels weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    No, I am ok with it being old-worldy, I do not know from where do you get the McDonald thing. But you know, for it being the plane of magic, Otherworld is just... medieval england. Just in Europe there are a ton of magical traditions, and Otherworld is supposed to reflect all magic. Like, is there another plane for bantu magic, for example? Do roma sorcerers all draw their magic from Avalon, too?. As I said, this has nothing to do with this issue in particular, it has always been a feature of Otherworld. This made sense when it first appeared, because it was supposed to be kind of the magic shadow of Great Britain, and Brian would even lose his powers when he was away from the islands. But now that it is presented as the plane of all magic, it feels weird to me.
    I have no idea what you're talking about or what your complaint is.
    There were extremely few scenes shown of outside, the main one was of a castle and that could have been anywhere in Europe. It didnt look uniquely british at all. Have you even been to the UK?

Jamie Braddock talking with Betsy was one of the highlights of the issue. lol I hope we see more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about or what your complaint is.
    There were extremely few scenes shown of outside, the main one was of a castle and that could have been anywhere in Europe. It didnt look uniquely british at all. Have you even been to the UK?
    Yeah, I am sure Camelot was not british at all, and neither was Morgana Le Fay. My point with Otherworld, not here but in general, is the one I pretty clearly spelled out. It is the plane of all magic, but only reflects one tradition. No need to be this agresive about it, but if you have to ask, yes, I have lived in England a couple of years. Which is way closer to my homeland than America, btw.

Did anyone translate the last page. I just tried but it didnt make sense.

Omg I just read the Book of High Shadows, Coven Akkaba

Human magic users are dicks too. Damnnnnnn.

There like the Voldemorts of the X-Universe or the Pure Bloods?

I'm intrigued to learn what they think of CLAN Akkaba

Quote Originally Posted by Wissenschaft View Post
    Jamie Braddock talking with Betsy was one of the highlights of the issue. lol I hope we see more of that.
    Same here. I wonder if that's who Tini was referring to when in an interview she said a character that we don't know is appearing yet has been fun to write. Jamie adds a whole other element of fun here.
    Last edited by JB; 10-30-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Not sure if posted here yet, but here's CBRs review of this issue

Excalibur #1 Gives Dawn of X Its First Fairy Tale
    https://www.cbr.com/review-excalibur-1-2019/