Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Ah so your comb’s teeth split hairs with microscopic fibers.

No thank you.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    "The woman whose life I stole" when in fact she had no choice in the matter herself and Kwannon was brain dead long before Betsy came into the picture.
    People are allowed to feel bad. Feeling some guilt over it makes me like Betsy more. There's also the fact that when she was in that body, she didn't act like herself at all. She appropriated a bunch of Japanese customs, started swinging around a katana, and became pretty cringy. She was performing to the expectation of her appearance, rather than just being Betsy but in a different form. Girl might have issues with Asians. Wait, she's upperclass British nobility: She definitely has issues with Asians. Her great-great-great Grandfather probably earned his KBE by blowing up anyone who refused to let him sell them heroin.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Rogue View Post
    Stop talking crazy talk, you nutters, What you trying to say?
    A bit of commen sense goes a long way with these things.

Also, Betsy has been proudly flaunting her Asian skin for years like a true British Imperialist. But now she has a white girl guilt over it? Please.

lol Dude Right? I had no idea psylocke was supposed was the same girl I First read when the New Mutants and X-Men fought MoJo
    Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    People are allowed to feel bad. Feeling some guilt over it makes me like Betsy more. There's also the fact that when she was in that body, she didn't act like herself at all. She appropriated a bunch of Japanese customs, started swinging around a katana, and became pretty cringy. She was performing to the expectation of her appearance, rather than just being Betsy but in a different form. Girl might have issues with Asians. Wait, she's upperclass British nobility: She definitely has issues with Asians. Her great-great-great Grandfather probably earned his KBE by blowing up anyone who refused to let him sell them heroin.
    Also, Betsy has been proudly flaunting her Asian skin for years like a true British Imperialist. But now she has a white girl guilt over it? Please
    As you can read In the post I quoted Betsy seems quite adapt at cultural appropriation
    GrindrStone(D)

Also, Betsy has been proudly flaunting her Asian skin for years like a true British Imperialist. But now she has a white girl guilt over it? Please.
    Isn't this a way for the character to move on now that time and societal standards have changed? See: Tin-tin in Africa. A celebrated adventure in its own time, but now a somewhat embarrassing throwback in ours.

Isn't this a way for the character to move on now that time and societal standards have changed? See: Tin-tin in Africa. A celebrated adventure in its own time, but now a somewhat embarrassing throwback in ours.
    I'm surprised there's So. So. So. many Dudes... I'm assuming Straight who are vocally upset 'The Thong' is gone
    GrindrStone(D)

That's why I hate that it happened now and not all the way back in X-Treme like Claremont wanted. At least then we wouldn't have to deal with her silly white guilt. But now Marvel seems to be perfectly content with blaming the character for their own racist history.

BANNED

Betsy isn't feeling guilty bc of cultural appropriation. She has (irrational) guilt bc she took over a woman's body and life and took so much of that identity as her own. She reveled in life as Kwannon, while all Kwannon got was a wasting death. That's not in any way Betsy's fault, but it did happen. And she's had issues with her sense of self since long before Kwannon and the switch. You can know something isn't your own fault intellectually and still have guilt and grief. It makes sense to me, given her complex history with her own self-image.

That's why I hate that it happened now and not all the way back in X-Treme like Claremont wanted. At least then we wouldn't have to deal with her silly white guilt. But now Marvel seems to be perfectly content with blaming the character for their own racist history.
    Betsy feeling guilty and weird about it it's done to paint her in a good light. The whole "it wasn't really my fault but I still feel responsable" is a classic hero trope. If she was happy and didn't think it was anything wrong, then that would be throwing her under the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I'm surprised there's So. So. So. many Dudes... I'm assuming Straight who are vocally upset 'The Thong' is gone
    Except it isn't. They simply gave it to Kwannon. I guess I can congratulate Marvel for being slightly less racist since the walking stereotype of a a ninja babe is an actual Asian this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Bruh, when that Apocalypse movie came out and people were complaining that Olivia Munn's leotard covered too much, I wanted a lightning bolt to carry me to Narnia.

BANNED

I suppose I should've known I was gay even sooner since I spent most of the '90s praying someone would just give Betsy her pants back.

We'll see where this goes I guess. If Betsy's identity crisis ends with her realizing that she's as much of a victim as Kwannon then I'll eat my words. But I doubt that's how Marvel wants to roll it.

Still no excuse for so many 'Muricans in the book though. Talk about cultural appropriation, lol. Apocalypse has some class at least

BANNED

I see no evidence that Marvel is trying to guilt or shame Betsy or blame her. It's logical character behavior for her. YMMV.