Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    We'll see where this goes I guess. If Betsy's identity crisis ends with her realizing that she's as much of a victim as Kwannon then I'll eat my words. But I doubt that's how Marvel wants to roll it.

Still no excuse for so many 'Muricans in the book though. Talk about cultural appropriation, lol. Apocalypse has some class at least
    I feel like that's exactly where it could go? Tini Howard seems to have some good thoughts on Betsy, according to an interview:

Howard: Leah and I have talked a lot about Betsy. I think one place we both really connect with her is that she has both the literal complicated-relationship-with-her-own-body, and also the same ones that many of us have as women. She’s a model, she’s been changed by the people who had power over her, distrusted, had a lot of messy affairs. There’s something I really connect to in ‘woman feels that another body would be better, easier to live in than her own, but is wrong about that in so many ways.’ There’s the added complexity that she is a white woman who took over the body of an Asian woman, at the hands of a man who was making her into the object of his desires… there’s guilt that’s legitimately hers and guilt that isn’t, guilt she’s feeling because the men responsible for it won’t feel it like they should. There’s a lot to say about Betsy.

That's why I hate that it happened now and not all the way back in X-Treme like Claremont wanted. At least then we wouldn't have to deal with her silly white guilt. But now Marvel seems to be perfectly content with blaming the character for their own racist history.
    How's it Silly? Who else would Marvel use to iron out it's past social wrinkles than it's characters?? Honestly I didn't even think about in terms of Race. But it's

This panel maybe one more in One issue. So much for it being explored if these speech bubbles caused that much unease
    Except it isn't. They simply gave it to Kwannon.
    Yeah there's been several people who try to explain that to no avail. Maybe that was their biggest turn on about the character? She's Asian ....but really she's white...so ya know it's cool to bring her around Dad and Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Bruh, when that Apocalypse movie came out and people were complaining that Olivia Munn's leotard covered too much, I wanted a lightning bolt to carry me to Narnia.
    Lol No way bro?? Covered too much? Damn!Were those fans tryna see inside her? #smdh
    lol
    Buuuut
    They Might've guessed early on X-Men Apoc wasn't gonna be that great and wanted something to they'd actually enjoy looking at
    GrindrStone(D)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    It’s Kwannon.
    Hi sir. If it helps. In the unlettered preview pages her hair was colored purple. It’s seems kwannon hair is being colored in a darker blackish/brownish shade in the latest released images. It might be an editorial push to avoid confusion, since we all know that marvel artists cannot differentiate caucasian and asian features in their characters

I really wish I had time to read the thread, and I imagine my comments may be unoriginal but some thoughts.

I really appreciate how little is needed to jump into this book. We get introduced to what we need to know about the Braddock family, we get a basic understanding of what the current status of Otherworld is which is a new status quo anyway. Let’s face it, we only need some basic Arthurian knowledge to know who Morgan le Fey is and even then her archetype is so broad one could work it out in this issue (evil sorcerer who seeks to rule Camelot and seems to be in a siege situation).

The Apocalypse / magic stuff is presented as a fait accompli, where many books would take a whole run to get there. I really like that the Krakoans are creating a new paradigm for magic and we instantly see the conflict developing with the cabal that clearly opposes this. It’s a paradigm shift to thematically match the wider one in HoX/PoX.

Then we come to the probably controversial return to Rogue and her power dampener. Things have changed. Suff happened in the period between the old books and the new books. Hickman has clearly mandated that the classic characterisations are back and we will not be getting flashbacks to explain every little issue. That’s a very brave and IMO excellent choice.

Rogue’s characterisation is interesting. She is being portrayed as a true believer in the Krakoan manifesto. She doesn’t want to suppress her powers, she wants to follow the new laws, she is OK with the new truce and previously evil mutants being given amnesty. Structurally this is a new aspect to her character that allows potential conflict and drama. Not least that she may be changed in interesting ways by her interaction with the gate.

This is really not the kind of book I would naturally gravitate to, Rogue and Gambit are really not my thing, but I am intrigued enough to stick around for a while and see where this goes.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

BANNED

Id feel guilty too if I hijacked someones body and got THEIR back blown out by Sabretooth, Beast, Wolverine, Fantomex, Archangel... nothing wrong with being a thot but theres also nothing wrong with having some standards.
    Not to mention Betsy had a couple opportunities to get back to her own body and refused, or all the blood under Kwannon's nails that will prolly never wash out.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Id feel guilty too if I hijacked someones body and got THEIR back blown out by Sabretooth, Beast, Wolverine, Fantomex, Archangel... nothing wrong with being a thot but theres also nothing wrong with having some standards.
    Not to mention Betsy had a couple opportunities to get back to her own body and refused, or all the blood under Kwannon's nails that will prolly never wash out.
    She banged Beast? In Exiles too or 616?

BANNED

Last edited by tuck frump; 11-01-2019 at 03:28 AM.

If you really think about it, that body swap would be a horror story for Kwannon. Let's be real, Betsy broke that thing in like a leather saddle. If I came back to life and learned someone had spent years walking around in my skin, wiping my ass, having sex, getting into fights, pretending to be a ninja, I'd have a psychotic break. I don't even want a slice of cheese if someone else touches it first.
    Well if you are not eating that cheese... *

I really don’t get why a book can’t at least nod to the problematic cultural appropriation of the past. Betsy is not being literal when she considers herself to have stolen a life. She ended up in that position and she recognises the wider issues. If you are going to have Brits in the book then some acknowledgment of the deep seated colonialist attitudes of the upper classes is kind of on point. Especially in an era about forming an independent nation. Let’s really dig into that.

I need to know is Betsy worthy of being my champion. Holding an inherited sword is not enough.**

*So hard to resist a Python reference
    ** Even harder to resist
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-01-2019 at 04:10 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    Tini Howard seems to have some good thoughts on Betsy, according to an interview:
    Thanks for the link. Sounds like a fascinating take. I will put in In my reading list.

I worry about Mrs. Claremont sometimes. She’s either very, very tired... or very, very into all this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    I assume that's Saturnyne.
    Or Roma herself. Roma cane back to life some time ago.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I worry about Mrs. Claremont sometimes. She’s either very, very tired... or very, very into all this.
    We are, I believe, on the third Mrs C (but this one seems to have stuck, they’ve been married 30+ years).

Quote Originally Posted by djoki96 View Post
    Selene would have been far better for this story, in my opinion.
    Yup first mutant with magic...sounds like she would fit better
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Incredible Member

If you really think about it, that body swap would be a horror story for Kwannon. Let's be real, Betsy broke that thing in like a leather saddle. If I came back to life and learned someone had spent years walking around in my skin, wiping my ass, having sex, getting into fights, pretending to be a ninja, I'd have a psychotic break. I don't even want a slice of cheese if someone else touches it first.
    I never thought of that. Poor Kwannon and her ruined puss. Plus all the men around who had sex with her body, how awkward.

BANNED

Yep. While Bets is also a victim here, it would be sociopathic for her to not feel remorse for the things she did to and in Kwannon’s body.