Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I really liked it. Beautifully written, especially the opening. I enjoy fantasy, though I understand that it might not be for everyone here.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    I am curious about the resurrections protocol. Like they didn't even bother to inform Betsy that they were bringing Jamie back. lol

Who decides who's next in line?

I want some data pages on that ASAP.

Jamie is a bit of a lose cannon to be walking about without someone keeping an eye on the bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    X-Men and Marauders got me hooked but I am very confused with Excalibur. I thought it was a very chaotic comic, I don't know if I haven't read much about Captain Britain before.

I think CB and,original Excalibur fans will be fine, but I can see why readers not familiar with the vast and complex back story would be confused, I hope it doesn’t put people off.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphicisnovel View Post
    Since they lumped him into the Krakoa origin, with what appears to be Limbo, in House of X.

His science has always been "beyond" the reader so it would make it magic i suppose.
    Not really. It has always been Celestial tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I find it funny/odd/lazy that a book about "mutant magic" does not include...uh, MAGIK?!
    Editorial logic...

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whist View Post
    Quite like Apocalypse being all mystical, even though it’s a new slant for him, but unsure where Gambit/Rogue/Jubilee fit in..
    Let's be honest, they don't really fit.

Jamie is a bit of a lose cannon to be walking about without someone keeping an eye on the bugger.
    Yes, but he is potentially the only mutant they have that can replace Proteus in the Five.

I understand that they are tempted to take the risk.

BANNED

If Illyana was in play this book really could be a solo, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Yes, but he is potentially the only mutant they have that can replace Proteus in the Five.

I understand that they are tempted to take the risk.
    Mm, yes that’s possible. But I wouldn’t want him just walking about the place, he’s dangerously unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Not really. It has always been Celestial tech.

Editorial logic...

Let's be honest, they don't really fit.
    To be fair, even previous adaptations of Excalibur didn't have many magically inclined characters. Kitty, Kurt, Sage, Dazzler, Kurt's daughter, etc. In most adaptations, Brian is one of the only characters who has anything to do with magic.

BANNED

Mm, yes that’s possible. But I wouldn’t want him just walking about the place, he’s dangerously unstable.
    They rehabilitated Proteus and Vulcan. Same principle.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    They rehabilitated Proteus and Vulcan. Same principle.
    The last omega to resurrect is Mister M, right?

Seems much more stable to me and his sanity loss was due to the tortures he was inflicted, basically they reverted him to the cocky/playful arrogant dude he used to be before .
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

So my thoughts.

This book has more questions than answers. I will try a few more issues and i generally love fantasy but i don't know i feel confused which made it a chore. Art is nice.

-I know nothing about Brian Braddock and Otherworld and don't want to have to go back to read old stories to figure things out.
    -I didn't like Betsy feeling guilty for ending up in Kwannons body and it felt like victim shaming even though she was shaming herself.
    -The conversation between Betsy and Brian felt stunted to me.
    -I don't understand how Rogue ended up losing control of her powers again. Maybe there is something that will explain this but her gaining control was a huge part of MMX and also she had control of her powers in Captain Marvel so it was something also recognized outside the x-books.
    -The data pages, i don't know, my eyes rolled at least once when reading it and this is the first time the data pages felt like a chore.
    I did like Jamie's personality.
    -Who is watching Shogo (not important but i thought it.)
    -Apocalypse new name is annoying and keeps taking me out of the story.
    - The whole witchbreed thing, yes i get this is proably a plotline that will get explored but i kept wonder how it connects to witch's road and wanda's solo.
    -I like all the members on the team but feel there are quite a few mutants that would have fit the story better/

Overall i just don't know. The art was great.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I find it funny/odd/lazy that a book about "mutant magic" does not include...uh, MAGIK?!

I get that Hickman probably had dibs on her for New Mutants, but maybe include a reason...a simple throwaway line...why someone named MAGIK is not involved in all the MAGIC.
    Not really.
    While being a powerful sorceress in her own right, Magik's power is mainly through her specific training and life as connected to Limbo. I'm guessing it may not work or be of much use in Otherworld where it's implied that it's a very different Source of magic being applied.
    Also...
    Her magic abilities are not her mutant power...her teleportation via Limbo is.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

I get that Hickman probably had dibs on her for New Mutants, but maybe include a reason...a simple throwaway line...why someone named MAGIK is not involved in all the MAGIC.
    The first New Mutants arc is set in space - if it happens before this that easily explains her absence.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    When she gets to the Krakoa side she is welcomed by a bunch of mutants. Rogue and Gambit, Jean Grey, Marrow, and Maggot.
    Not Jean. That's Polaris, miscoloured.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    So my thoughts.

This book has more questions than answers. I will try a few more issues and i generally love fantasy but i don't know i feel confused which made it a chore. Art is nice.

-I know nothing about Brian Braddock and Otherworld and don't want to have to go back to read old stories to figure things out.
    -I didn't like Betsy feeling guilty for ending up in Kwannons body and it felt like victim shaming even though she was shaming herself.
    -The conversation between Betsy and Brian felt stunted to me.
    -I don't understand how Rogue ended up losing control of her powers again. Maybe there is something that will explain this but her gaining control was a huge part of MMX and also she had control of her powers in Captain Marvel so it was something also recognized outside the x-books.
    -The data pages, i don't know, my eyes rolled at least once when reading it and this is the first time the data pages felt like a chore.
    I did like Jamie's personality.
    -Who is watching Shogo (not important but i thought it.)
    -Apocalypse new name is annoying and keeps taking me out of the story.
    - The whole witchbreed thing, yes i get this is proably a plotline that will get explored but i kept wonder how it connects to witch's road and wanda's solo.
    -I like all the members on the team but feel there are quite a few mutants that would have fit the story better/

Overall i just don't know. The art was great.
    I think witchbreed is simply a nod to how Neil Gaiman called mutants in Marvel 1602. People in the Middle Ages do not have a word for the concept of "mutation" so they call mutants "witchbreed."