Default Newsarama: "G. WILLOW WILSON Looks Back on Her WONDER WOMAN Run"

WW The Just War.jpg

https://www.newsarama.com/47639-g-wi...der-woman.html

I have a new appreciation for how difficult it is to, number one, tell a new story about a character who’s been around that long, because we’ve kind of heard it all on some level, and number two, sort of keep all those balls in the air - all of those different story elements, all of the different genre elements, these very complex backstories and continuity, which is not always clear and obvious, even to the people who made it.

So it’s a real challenge, I think, to take on one of these legacy heroes and try to push that story forward.

I think Wonder Woman is a character that I will forever be thinking about and mulling over and saying, “what if we did this?” And “if I could go back, I would do this,” because there’s so much on the table, and there’s so much story to work with that I think it’s easy to want to take out all the toys and play with them all at once.

And refining those ideas and getting them really tight and focused is quite tough in a way that it isn’t for secondary superheroes, newer superheroes, superheroes without quite such complex continuity.

So yeah, it’s definitely been the biggest challenge. But also, I have to say, one of the most rewarding challenges that I’ve taken on so far.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Extraordinary Member

Funny how she talks about challenging WW is, when she seemed to spend most of her time investing energy in her own creations.

Equally funny the choice to have the image of Dos a talkin* about her lasso, when for the last three issues of the run she seemed have forgotten she even HAD one.

From this interview, I would say GWW’s mistake was overthinking it. The minute you start thinking about how huge the character is you are shooting yourself in the foot.

That’s not to say ignore the characters history and nature, but don’t approach them like unassailable royalty either. There is a middle ground where you can have fun with it. And above all, give them the chance to shine. Readers will forgive minor hiccups if you show a real ove for the character and a desire to show them in a good light.

Which sadly she often didn’t.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Her run was NOT good. I'm sure most people will try to forget it as soon as possible.

Her run was trash tier, IMO. It is nothing to be proud of.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Her run was trash tier, IMO. It is nothing to be proud of.
    I totally agree. What a shame. I was really hoping she would be the writer to come in and finally tell some high quality Wonder Woman stories, the way she was hyped up after her Ms. Marvel run. But her Wonder Woman run was so bad that now I'll be leary of any book I see in the future with her name on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I totally agree. What a shame. I was really hoping she would be the writer to come in and finally tell some high quality Wonder Woman stories, the way she was hyped up after her Ms. Marvel run. But her Wonder Woman run was so bad that now I'll be leary of any book I see in the future with her name on it.
    The problem seemed to be Wilson did not want to tell a story about Wonder Woman rather a story with Wonder Woman in it that focused on others. At least this is how I interpreted her tenure. Which is odd considering Diana is the gold standard of female superheroes. One would think a writer like Wilson would embrace the character with gusto and refuse to let go rather than seem disinterested.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-31-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I don't think anyone's gonna dethrone Azzarello.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    As what? The worst run? HEYYY-OOO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    The problem seemed to be Wilson did not want to tell a story about Wonder Woman rather a story with Wonder Woman in it that focused on others. At least this is how I interpreted her tenure. Which is odd considering Diana is the gold standard of female superheroes. One would think a writer like Wilson would embrace the character with gusto and refuse to let go rather than seem disinterested.
    Spot on.

10 char

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I think you’d have to back to Kannigher pre-COIE to even attempt it.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor