Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What should happen to Grail

Right now Grail might be done right now. I mean what can be done with her?

Astonishing Member

Grail should be a Cyborg villain since he has a direct connection to the New Gods and needs rogues who aren't cybernetic. I've never been a fan of writers trying to push a connection between Wonder Woman and the New Gods.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

If Titans was still around she could've been a villain for Troia.
    "Cable was right!"

She should slip into the same limbo-coma that befell other failed Wonder Woman characters (Jason, Zola, First Born, etc).

Just use her if one has a desire and a particular idea. It really wouldn't be that hard, there's no inherent problems with the concept of her as a WW villain whatsoever. She's perfectly serviceable.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I think I'm one of the few people who like Grail, but that's only due to her design, origin, ruthlessness and ability to go toe to toe with Wonder Woman. After many attempts she's yet to have a story that truly captures her potential. As far as I know she's still on Themyscira with her own contingent of Amazons, possibly Orlando can spin her lead weight into gold. Though I think right now she needs a rest because she's already been so overused by writers with failed runs and their failure has cast her in a bad light

With Diana's golden age arch-enemy, back in the comic, Grail may be reformed into an antiheroine, like Catwoman ..or Jamie from the Progressive Insurance commercials.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I don't know how to feel about her connection with the new gods. Was it necessary?

She should be one of a few POV characters in a new series about the struggles between Apokolips and New Genesis. Keep the Wonder Woman and Amazon connections and animosity, but develop her character some more in connection with her sinister paternal family and against or in alliance with other New Gods characters before having her set her sights on Diana and her family again.

She's a great character, but hasn't been utilized in a great way.

Yeah I think letting her lurk in limbo is a good idea. If you have a good story idea, great. But if you don't have a good use for her? Use someone else.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 10-31-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Honestly with how things are. I feel like we shouldn't keep putting new characters in Wonder Woman like Grail or Jason. Because they are also just going to be forgetting. If anything the best thing to do is making them mutiverse characters.

BANNED

Grail should team up with Belzebeth in a bid to overthrow the cosmic patriarchy, so Diana has to go to space and then decide if she really wants to stop them.
    Last edited by The Quiet Councilor; 11-01-2019 at 04:02 AM.

Incredible Member

Grail has always reminded me a little of Amazons Attack - something borne out of a "cool image" (what if the Amazons attacked New York? What if Darkseid and an Amazon had a baby?) rather that a character with a purpose. I think she should stay in limbo until someone figures out a good purpose for her, now that baby Darkseid is all grown up. I don't think that what Wilson did with her was illogical; I just don't think that her characterization under Wilson's pen was great, and between Robinson and Wilson, she seems like she's on the brink of being one of those "ruined" characters, like Devastation.

Hm. Actually, in a way, she is like Devastation - created to be Diana's opposite number and then nerfed into lesserdom.

Like most characters, there’s nothing wrong with Grail, but there is something wrong with writers who can’t develop her in an interesting way, given her relationship with the Amazons and the New Gods. I mean, that’s a rich playground from which to draw from. But, if you’re not going to put the creative time and energy and talent into her, you’re going to get diminishing returns.

I mean, who knew Catman could become such a great, interesting character from the joke he was played as before.

I can think of five Grail stories I’d like to tell right off the top of my head. Here’s hoping creators take her seriously and start investing in her creatively.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Like most characters, there’s nothing wrong with Grail, but there is something wrong with writers who can’t develop her in an interesting way, given her relationship with the Amazons and the New Gods. I mean, that’s a rich playground from which to draw from. But, if you’re not going to put the creative time and energy and talent into her, you’re going to get diminishing returns.

I mean, who knew Catman could become such a great, interesting character from the joke he was played as before.

I can think of five Grail stories I’d like to tell right off the top of my head. Here’s hoping creators take her seriously and start investing in her creatively.
    I agree. I also think Grail could have been an amazing character during the "Children of the Gods" arc. If Robinson had reworked the narrative to be about Grail wanting to kill Zeus' children to gain some type of power for herself - say resurrecting her deceased mom - you could have had an amazing parallel between Grail and Diana. Both the daughters of Gods and both separated from their mothers due to the machinations of Gods. I think that would be a more interesting and dynamic way to explore the Diana/Grail rivalry.

Grail has an amazing design, and I think that could get her far in such a visual medium. Grail just needs a story to solidify her as an individual character as opposed to a knockoff Darkseid/Wonder Woman combo.