Default Dr. Strange vs. Green Lantern

Kyle Rayner GL. Post Crisis. Classic Strange.

Arena.

1: just for fun, regular fight.

2: Black Magic Strange (the galaxies trembling shuma gorath killing one) vs. Kyle at his most powerful - presumably Ion or something.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Kyle Rayner GL. Post Crisis. Classic Strange.

Arena.

1: just for fun, regular fight.
    Strange can amp his shields to the point where supernovas aren't getting through and Dormammu needs to actively work to kick him around like a hackey-sack. If Kyle can get through that before Strange...I don't know, stuffs him somewhere awful or assaults his soul, he can manage.

Classic Stephen without prep is at least somewhat limited to roughly that level.

2: Black Magic Strange (the galaxies trembling shuma gorath killing one) vs. Kyle at his most powerful - presumably Ion or something.
    For clarity, it wasn't galaxies trembling. It was 'If Strange shows up in the 616 universe, galaxies (multiple) burn and die. From him showing up, not actually doing crap.' This was the power of Shuma-Gorath layered on top of another power-jacked (Moorcock-referencing) being that ALLOWED Strange to fight roughly equally with Shuma-Gorath.

Kaluu just touching him almost killed Kaluu right off the get-go, despite Kaluu being a guy who could throw down quite effectively with Classic Strange himself. And Kaluu noted 'if he touches me, I'm a leaf in a bonfire.'

So, that's literally all we have to go on with Shuma-Gorath Eating Strange. 'Galaxies die in multiples just because he shows up in the 616 universe.' 'Just touching Classic Strange level beings would insta-kill them.' Nothing more, because it was a point in that comic and the next one that they get Stephen back to normal.

I would say this puts him at least into the Galactus territory, if not a chunk higher. How that stacks up to Ion, I don't know.

Granted, we can go DOWN from that and say 'Okay, it was the Strange that killed Shuma-Gorath, not the one afterward who actually absorbed Shuma-Gorath and slapped that power on top of what he stole from Arioch.'
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Clarity is good! ^_^

I would place that slightly beyond Galactus myself.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Also, seems like both Kyle and Strange operate in the supernova weight class at a glance. I would say a maxed out Kyle with nose bleeds and everything can probably generate more raw oomph then Strange can reasonably defend, but again, getting punched in the soul tends to dampen one's spirits a bit.
    - big_adventure

If Kyle can instantly start putting out Supernova level energies, that could be difficult for un-prepped Strange. If he needs to actually will himself up to that level, Strange can likely get his shields going up at that level at the same time. His base shields are good against people who casually shoot through planets, and against planets exploding with enough force to send him flying at multiples of light speed through the cosmos. Not sure how that will go against Kyle's first shots, mind.

If he DOES last to the point where he can oomph his shields up to 'irritate Dormammu and eat supernovas', it comes down to 'Can Kyle defend himself against a guy with all kinds of weird attacks operating on a level of Casually Plays With Black Holes?'
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

...as a clarification, Strange fiddling around with black holes is just that - he supernova's the Living Star into a black hole (let's ignore how long that would normally take to happen), he basically says 'I'd better tuck this away', and does so by wiggling his fingers. No incantation, nothing.
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

To be fair, if Kyle can fire a single beam beam that had anywhere near Supernova levels of energy, it would most likely be many orders of magnitude more intense than the person-sized portion of an actual supernova that Classic Strange managed to more or less no-sell with the Crimson Bands of Cytorrak.

I believe Kyle Rayner at his most powerful was when he was in possession of the Life Equation. Likewise, Strange, not too long ago, had the power to rewrite reality. It was in that arc involving Galactus consuming magic and such.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

To be clear, Kyle's supernova feat involved containing it with great stress and drain on his ring, and eventually needing an assist. It's a helluva feat, but I'm not sure it translates to being able to fire a single beam of power containing all that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    To be fair, if Kyle can fire a single beam beam that had anywhere near Supernova levels of energy, it would most likely be many orders of magnitude more intense than the person-sized portion of an actual supernova that Classic Strange managed to more or less no-sell with the Crimson Bands of Cytorrak.
    Being equally fair, Strange no-sold the supernova with Crimson Bands that were created by his astral form. Which means they were weaker than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomzilla View Post
    I believe Kyle Rayner at his most powerful was when he was in possession of the Life Equation. Likewise, Strange, not too long ago, had the power to rewrite reality. It was in that arc involving Galactus consuming magic and such.
    That's not Classic Strange, though. Also, the situation wasn't that Strange's magic was strong enough to rewrite reality. It was that all of reality was in a state where Strange's magic COULD rewrite it, which is a rather important distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    To be clear, Kyle's supernova feat involved containing it with great stress and drain on his ring, and eventually needing an assist. It's a helluva feat, but I'm not sure it translates to being able to fire a single beam of power containing all that.
    Hm.

Sounds like a fight, at least.
    Why are we here?

For clarity, when you say "Post-Crisis"--are you referring to the pre-Flashpoint era? New 52? Rebirth?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra_Sonic View Post
    For clarity, when you say "Post-Crisis"--are you referring to the pre-Flashpoint era? New 52? Rebirth?
    You can get a bit more screwy if you add in Zero Hour, DoS and stuff like that, but our shorthand DC timeline is usually:

Golden Age —-> Pre-Crisis —-> Post-Crisis —-> Nu52 —-> Rebirth

I recently re-read a low-powered version of this fight. A couple of times during the early issues of Defenders, a very distracted Dr. Strange battles Dr. Spectrum of the Squadron Sinister, who is a thinly-disguised evil version of Green Lantern. Spectrum tended to have the upper hand in these encounters, but Strange was generally only casting a handful of spells at that time. Bolts of Bedevilment, teleportation, some small and basic shields, miscellaneous plot detection, etc. Towards the end of the Gerber run, it was explained that Dr. Strange wasn't operating anywhere near full strength because the ongoing distraction of living with folks like Hulk, Valkyrie, and Namor was disrupting his mystical focus.

Defenders Strange wasn't exactly operating on the same level, no...the usual 'Powerful people who get put on teams get downgraded so that the non-powerful people can actually do something' situation. At least they had some vague reason for it...though, simultaneously with all of that, Strange was still in the middle of possibly his most powerful Classic era in his own mag.

Which is kind of amusing. ^_^
    Why are we here?