Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What you expect to see Palpatine's possible development in EP9?

I'm very against bring back dead characters. But it's understandable since Rian Johnson killed Snoke.

Palpatine was simply embodiment of evil in EP6 to act as the big bad and redeem Vader. In PT he got a lot of development to show us his disguise of a charming chancellor and the grandplan to use the Clone Wars to become the Emperor and eliminate the Jedi. It was highly praised.

I hope he gets some development in EP9 like he created Rey or Kylo to fulfill his goal instead of repeat his EP6 self again.

I'm expecting nothing. It's so obvious that they're only digging him up because they burned every plotline to the ground in TLJ and later realized, "uhh...oops. We still have 1 more movie to go and there's no more villain".

Assuming that he's actually in the movie and that this isn't another one of those red herrings that the sequel trilogy loves so much, I'm not anticipating much aside from him being in the movie for 10 minutes before dying again.

I expect him to be used as a gimmick to get Rey and possible Kylo over nothing more. I hope I'm wrong and they have bigger plans for him.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I could live with Palpatine trying to manipulate somebody bringing him back to life via his own Holocron that Kylo or somebody else discovers.

I wonder if they'll explain how his spirit survived. The prequels sort of implied that the whole Force ghost thing was something that Jedi had to learn or something. Wonder if it's somehow connected to the whole thing about Plagueis stopping death?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I wonder if they'll explain how his spirit survived. The prequels sort of implied that the whole Force ghost thing was something that Jedi had to learn or something. Wonder if it's somehow connected to the whole thing about Plagueis stopping death?
    I'm thinking it may tie in with the Legend of Darth Plaguusis and cheating death... That and Yoda hung out with the ghost type thing of Darth Bane at his tomb in the Cone Wars cartoon (he seemed to be attach to the tomb some how don't think it was ever explained), the second Death Star could be considered Palbatine's tome and it may play out like that too.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

iMan 42s

Son of Dathomir actually has Mother Talzin possess Dooku and we know Palpatine had dealings with the Nightsisters. In canon Palpatine possessing someone might not be out of the realm of possibility considering someone he worked with actually does this. Mother Talzin could also manifest again at a point by draining the life of Dooku meaning while Palpatine's end goal is likely to get a new body, he could manifest again should he have the ability. Said book has also been out for years now and it's canon so people who've kept up on this shouldn't be that taken aback by it. Maul actually had to summon Talzin for her to initially manifest, so perhaps the same happens here with whatever happens on the second Death Star. Basically they had to do what was essentially a double tap on Talzin and it might be a thing with Sheev.

Assuming Palpatine was capable of manifesting again, he would still have the physicality of an aging man. While he could keep himself alive with life-force consumption, he wouldn't be in that great a shape so he might need a bit of help to move around. He'd basically be physically dead, his return from the netherworld of the force might've brought him back but he'd be physically weakened given his last appearance was plummeting down a reactor shaft, and he's likely in his hundreds at this point. So if he has anything to prop him up I wouldn't doubt it. Matt Smith's character as a result might be him getting enough life-force he's returned to his youthful state or that he'd be able to jump into a younger body.

Perhaps Snoke was a malformed clone grown too quickly or left in the pod too long. Perhaps growing Force sensitives is still an imprecise science and Palpatine had to make due. Whoever Matt Smith's character is he may be a successful clone grown in that period.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    i would assume that sith ghosts cling to the physical realm while jedi force ghosts transcend into the "in between". that is based on my observations of the depiction of the likes of exar kun or palps himself in dark empire.
    ofc TLJ f*cked the guiding jedi force ghosts with lighting striking mad yoda. thx rian&kathy
    Last edited by abulafia; 11-01-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

My money is still on him being a red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    My money is still on him being a red herring.
    I hope you are correct as using someone/something other than Palpatine for the conclusion would be more interesting, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I hope you are correct as using someone/something other than Palpatine for the conclusion would be more interesting, IMO.
    and what in the realm of all possibilities could that be?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Depends on how they use it, is the antagonist menacing enough is the most important thing.

Bringing back Palpatine is a trashy idea. His story was done in ROTJ. There is no way Kennedy and Abrams will pull it off that would be please fans.

Curiously, a lot of Disney's Star Wars material has the Emperor use holograms in quite a few ways, which is in kind of keeping a bit with the character; in both trilogies, that's how he's introduced and largely how he communicates as Sidious. So that might help with the red herring theory.

The droids used to carry out the contingency plans in the immediate post-ROTJ stuff (Aftermath, Shattered Empire, Battlefront II) use the Emperor's holographic face to carry out his plans. As noted by CBR, one of the Knights of Ren-with a lightsaber-has a similar faceplate.

Second is in Rebels and some Imperial propaganda stuff seen in various media, which shows the Emperor pretty much the same way he appeared in AOTC and the first half of ROTS even though he doesn't look like that anymore. Apparently in Disney canon most, including the Imperial navy, are unaware that his face is messed up and he wears a cloak most of the time. I think there's one EU (Lost stars?) from the POV of one of the officers when the Emperor arrives on the Death Star, who is shocked that this guy who looked like a regular old man on "TV" is really not in the flesh.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Hard to care. The only reason why he is back is because this trilogy has failed to produce a memorable villain. I remember Kylo because I have to. I barely remember Smoke and I have forgotten the names of armor chick and the other first order guy.

Contrast this with the prequels that gave us Darth Maul, Count Dooku and General Grievous.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest