Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Amazing Member

I hope this series find success.
    Henry Cavill has received a lot of flak he didn't deserve,so this a great chance to show his talent.
    I would love that this could lead to more Superman projects,since I think his version of Superman and Amy Adams as Lois are great,but this needs to serve first as a Witcher series.

Season 2 has just been announced. It starts production next year.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Season 2 has just been announced. It starts production next year.
    They’re clearly confident in it. I hope it’s as good as they think!

The Superman movie franchise is basically the same as the Terminator franchise. The first two that everyone for the most part loved came out decades ago. And since then we've gotten sequels and reboots that have fallen short one way or another since. But still managed to be profitable enough to keep the series alive. The recent Dark Fate, to my limited understanding of the box office, was a franchise killer. Eventually enough straws broke the camel's back. So I'm very nervous about the next Superman movie. Oh sure people still wear Superman t shirts, just as you people still wear T-800 t-shirts. But nobody cares about their movies anymore. So much goodwill has been lost, if it's not a crowd pleaser, the next Superman movie could be it's own Dark Fate.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    The Superman movie franchise is basically the same as the Terminator franchise. The first two that everyone for the most part loved came out decades ago. And since then we've gotten sequels and reboots that have fallen short one way or another since. But still managed to be profitable enough to keep the series alive. The recent Dark Fate, to my limited understanding of the box office, was a franchise killer. Eventually enough straws broke the camel's back. So I'm very nervous about the next Superman movie. Oh sure people still wear Superman t shirts, just as you people still wear T-800 t-shirts. But nobody cares about their movies anymore. So much goodwill has been lost, if it's not a crowd pleaser, the next Superman movie could be it's own Dark Fate.
    Fascinating analysis. One would think that Superman has a better chance to survive because it's a true reboot whereas the Terminator movies were a weird bunch of sequels, and Superman has a lot of other properties to lean on, but they botched it.

I do wonder if Superman's time in the sun is over. He's such the prototypical superhero that nobody wants to revisit it, but people are nostalgic enough to this idea of Superman that they don't want new takes. Hard to say.

Sorry, that just stings to think that Superman might be in the Dark Fate stage of his movie life cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Fascinating analysis. One would think that Superman has a better chance to survive because it's a true reboot whereas the Terminator movies were a weird bunch of sequels, and Superman has a lot of other properties to lean on, but they botched it.

I do wonder if Superman's time in the sun is over. He's such the prototypical superhero that nobody wants to revisit it, but people are nostalgic enough to this idea of Superman that they don't want new takes. Hard to say.

Sorry, that just stings to think that Superman might be in the Dark Fate stage of his movie life cycle.
    His time in the sun was over after Superman II. Whether we ever get out from the shade really depends on the quality of the director who takes over the franchise post Snyder. But Superman himself isn’t going anywhere. He’s simply too big to disappear like Terminator seems about to.

I’d rather take a big budget animated Superman movie over live action at this point. For all Timm’s many faults, SuperJesus moping about isn’t one of them. Least he does let Supes fight villains.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Terminator is far more limited in what it can do though, because it only has two good films to rehash as a basis. And even with T2, it gave some effective twists on the same basic plot as the first one (John himself is the target instead of Sarah, there are now TWO Terminators and one is is there to protect them, etc) and upped the stakes and action, but came to a solid close and you just can't do that again.

Superman has a whole lot of lore and characters that any director with skill and imagination can utilize, most of whom have not been depicted in film. It's not as if the only two possible options are Donner/Donner rehashes and Snyder. He has yet to interact with Kara in a film, or fight any villains besides Lex, Zod and now Doomsday, the Legion has never made an appearance, etc. Terminators have one goal and one plot in all the films, there is a wider array of inspiration to draw from with Superman

Kind of off-topic (but kinda not?) but Cavill does a surprisingly solid Geralt voice.

yeah and the wig is really growing on me too.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Terminator is far more limited in what it can do though, because it only has two good films to rehash as a basis. And even with T2, it gave some effective twists on the same basic plot as the first one (John himself is the target instead of Sarah, there are now TWO Terminators and one is is there to protect them, etc) and upped the stakes and action, but came to a solid close and you just can't do that again.

Superman has a whole lot of lore and characters that any director with skill and imagination can utilize, most of whom have not been depicted in film. It's not as if the only two possible options are Donner/Donner rehashes and Snyder. He has yet to interact with Kara in a film, or fight any villains besides Lex, Zod and now Doomsday, the Legion has never made an appearance, etc. Terminators have one goal and one plot in all the films, there is a wider array of inspiration to draw from with Superman
    Even if Terminator had some juicy untapped source material, I don't know if it would do it much good now. Hell, maybe I'm wrong and they'll give Terminator another shot in 5 years, who's to say? But I don't think it looks good. I do agree though that when Superman gets another shot, and it may well be his last shot, the best chance at success would be to tap into those corners of the mythos that haven't been used yet.
    I love Lex Luthor. But he should NOT be the villain of the next movie.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 11-13-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Terminator is also pretty tightly tied with Arnie, and his star power has long since faded. I know for some people it’s the same with Chris Reeve but I remember plenty of hype in the lead up to MoS. People were willing to give Cavill a chance. It just got wasted by Snyder.

BANNED

I hope Witcher 3 does well for Cavill's sake as an actor. He's a good performer and Geralt is closer to his strengths than Kal-El.

the Terminator story with the Superman franchise don't work because they are vastly different properties. Superman has survived and thrived 80 years through different versions to different degrees.

Look at the Star Trek, Spider-Man and Batman franchises; Star Trek was considered dead by many with Nemesis, but then JJ Abrams came with Star Trek 2009 and it was a big hit (and it's still going with TV shows and getting awards). The most commercial Trek movie so far. Batman and Robin almost killed the franchise but then Nolan revived it to say the least. Spider-Man has had some lows, but it's still going and reinvesting itself. I think it really depends on the story and execution. Superman needs quality and more innovative stories that stay true to who he is. If he is wildly out of character, fans and audiences will complain and reject it..

The Terminator franchise really picked with T2. Audiences haven't been overly enthused with anything after. This franchise was clearly a lot more finite than something like Superman. A Terminator movie without Arnie is missing the heart it seems.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 11-14-2019 at 10:04 AM.

It seems The Witcher is getting rave review so far. Really hope it's good.

Here you can listen to two songs in the show. I quite like them, it sounds exciting and very adventurous.

https://redanianintelligence.com/201...ona-ostinelli/

I'm really hoping for the Witcher to do well for the exact reason as you, DochaDocha. I'm still holding out that distant hope that Cavill could play Superman again.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Just read the several-day-old article about Cavill's interview about "toxic" fans. Cavill is one chill dude and I can't help but root for him more. I almost feel obligated to watch The Witcher.