Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Cavill was being a real gentleman about the toxic fans question..

Honestly, the Witcher looks very interesting and intense to me.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Despite the mixed reviews, the Witcher was loved by the audience and the series got a positive word of mouth:

Some critics aren't in love with Netflix's new fantasy series "The Witcher," but it's a hit with viewers.

The show has a "rotten" 56% critic score on the review-aggregation site Rotten Tomatoes based on 57 reviews but a 93% audience score based on nearly 12,000 user ratings.

It's also one of the biggest TV shows in the US right now. "The Witcher," which debuted on December 20, was the third most in-demand original streaming series in the US for the week of December 18 to December 24, according to data provided to Business Insider by Parrot Analytics. It's behind only Netflix's megahit "Stranger Things" and Disney Plus' "Star Wars" series "The Mandalorian."

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/netf...eviews-2019-12

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I mostly hope it does for Cavill's sake.
    Dude got a raw deal, along with the character.
    Ditto. Same as with Brandon Routh, I hope his current venture works out because I like the actor, not because I want him back necessarily as Superman. (Not that I'd *mind* him back as Superman, but DC kind of stuffed it, and I just want the actor to get a good landing and not suffer for other people's choices.)

To me, Cavill is a vain and selfish human being and a mediocre actor. I loved the Snyder films but can't stand Cavill. THE WITCHER didn't impress me either. I'm fine with Cavill returning as Superman if only because i want his character's story to continue and I like Adams. Cavill has made it easier for me to be okay with a fresh start too, though.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    To me, Cavill is a vain and selfish human being and a mediocre actor. I loved the Snyder films but can't stand Cavill. THE WITCHER didn't impress me either. I'm fine with Cavill returning as Superman if only because i want his character's story to continue and I like Adams. Cavill has made it easier for me to be okay with a fresh start too, though.
    It feels like you know the guy personally to have such strong personal opinions of him.as for being mediocre actor, he is capable of doing a superman role.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It feels like you know the guy personally to have such strong personal opinions of him.as for being mediocre actor, he is capable of doing a superman role.
    And a surprisingly solid Geralt of Rivia.

BANNED

Henry Cavill as an actor has a lot of range. Like has anyone here seen The Man From UNCLE, a totally different character...think Sterling Archer but somewhat competent. He was great in that role.

The Witcher likewise is quite a different character from that. As in the case of Superman. So he's got a lot of range. To be honest, I think he would have made a perfect James Bond as well, but maybe that ship has sailed. He's got a lot of ambition for a performer so I think we haven't seen the full extent of what he can do and who he can be.

I think the problem with his Superman was down to a lack of overall clarity rather than him. At the same time, I don't entirely disagree with people who feel Superman was miscast. I think Superman should be played by an American actor primarily. I also think that Cavill's naturally personable and sociable but he was cast as a version of Superman who was a total shut-in, so I think he was miscast even for Snyder's take on the character. Cavill's Superman was sexy so that helped in the interactions with Amy Adams' Lois (which I legitimately like and thought was the best part of those movies), and Cavill's Superman at least dispensed with the eternal virgin/can't lay with humans version of Reeve's Superman (and before anyone brings up Superman II...he got busy with Lois after surrendering his powers).

Last I check it managed to crawl back up to 60% making it fresh on RT. Either way I think it’s a success in Netflix’s eyes I think.

I don't know if this is reliable data but I heard it surpassed The Mandalorian last week.

Finished Witcher last night, and it's good. I'm not as in love with it as my wife, but I also haven't played the games or read the books like she has. But I enjoyed it, and the song Toss a Coin to Your Witcher has been stuck in my head for over a week now.

I hope it all goes well for Cavill. He's playing a character that is insanely withdrawn and tight lipped. Seriously, 90% of Geralt's dialogue seems to be "Hrrr" and "F**k." That's it. And all the emotion has to be bottled up so only hints of it show through the cracks. And I think Cavill did a fantastic job of expressing that. I believe Geralt has a deep well of emotion and keeps it bottled up. Cavill sold that. But it's not the most....emotive.....role for showing off one's acting talent.

I gave up hope of Cavill returning to Superman. And odds are WB will screw up the next movie anyway. But from what I hear Cavill is a decent guy, and he plays Horde on World of Warcraft so he can't be all bad. So I hope The Witcher brings him at least some of the success he deserved to get with Superman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It was good. Cavil was very good as Geralt. Though I’m still not big on his Superman. Being good as an emotionally stunted monster hunter from Rivia is very different as being good at playing an inspiring alien superhero from krypton.
    The nonlinear storytelling could have been handled better though. Really had me confused for a while there.

Great freaking Gaea, Lane. Why not tell us how you really feel about the bloke. LOL

I don't know about vain but Cavill has made no secret of his motivations for acting. He wanted more money and unfortunately his attempt to strong arm the studio did NOT pay off.

I was a bit disappointed to hear he tried to do that especially when the brand was in such a vulnerable position. But this is not like Marvel where the thesps have arguably more import than the character. Superman is an icon who has been depicted by numerous people. I don't know why Cavill or hus team thought he was irreplaceable. But I look forward to seeing better DCEU products hopefully based on more iconic fare rather than the emo post Flashpoint edge lord stuff.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

So is most of Hollywood to varying degrees. We don't know any of these people and they are in the business of lying about who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I don't know about vain but Cavill has made no secret of his motivations for acting. He wanted more money and unfortunately his attempt to strong arm the studio did NOT pay off.
    If wanting money for his chosen profession is selfish, we are all selfish. A lot of my problems could be solved by having more money, I don't feel a sense of disillusionment for Cavill being upfront about it. I don't give a **** about what he wants in his bank account, it's none of my business.

It was pretty boneheaded of him and his manager with how they dealt with studio, but I don't have much sympathy for the studio either.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think Cavill just didn't like the lack of screen time and general direction they took the character in after man of steel. I agree, to a certain degree.

Extraordinary Member

My take, for what it's worth. I didn't like the Snyder DC movies, though I thought MoS had squandered potential...though not as a superhero movie, more of a straight sci-fi invasion movie. I also didn't like Cavill as Superman...right up until his final moments as Superman in League, when I thought he finally sort of got it, though not as well as Routh or the TV guy.

So...The Witcher. I will note that I have not read the books or played the games, and in fact knew and still know pretty much nothing about it. I have seen one episode and plan to at least see one more, which means I kind of like it. Cavill...was much better than he was as Superman...for me at least. While I don't care to see him again as Superman, I'm fine with seeing him again in this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It was pretty boneheaded of him and his manager with how they dealt with studio, but I don't have much sympathy for the studio either.
    I don't know how much he got paid, but after having to deal with all the crap behind the scenes of Justice League, I know it wasn't enough.

And let's be real, playing Superman is often the end of an actor's career; once you put on the tights no one ever thinks of you as anything else, which makes it damn hard to find more work. So looking at a potentially career defining *and* ending role, having to put up with that damn studio the whole time? Yeah, I'd ask for a raise too.

Clearly, being one of the only things people liked about JL wasn't enough to get him what he wanted, but I don't blame him for trying.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-04-2020 at 04:13 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.