Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

OP Question - I sure do.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I don't know how much he got paid, but after having to deal with all the crap behind the scenes of Justice League, I know it wasn't enough.

And let's be real, playing Superman is often the end of an actor's career; once you put on the tights no one ever thinks of you as anything else, which makes it damn hard to find more work. So looking at a potentially career defining *and* ending role, having to put up with that damn studio the whole time? Yeah, I'd ask for a raise too.

Clearly, being one of the only things people liked about JL wasn't enough to get him what he wanted, but I don't blame him for trying.
    When you put it that way, it's hard to blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Despite the mixed reviews, the Witcher was loved by the audience and the series got a positive word of mouth:

Some critics aren't in love with Netflix's new fantasy series "The Witcher," but it's a hit with viewers.

The show has a "rotten" 56% critic score on the review-aggregation site Rotten Tomatoes based on 57 reviews but a 93% audience score based on nearly 12,000 user ratings.

It's also one of the biggest TV shows in the US right now. "The Witcher," which debuted on December 20, was the third most in-demand original streaming series in the US for the week of December 18 to December 24, according to data provided to Business Insider by Parrot Analytics. It's behind only Netflix's megahit "Stranger Things" and Disney Plus' "Star Wars" series "The Mandalorian."

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/netf...eviews-2019-12

Yay! The Witcher is a HUGE success!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies...n-mandalorian/

Going up against Baby Yoda, the biggest thing atm, is no mean feat.

It's great to see. And shows that Henry has so much charisma that the DCEU stifled and they gave him a lousy script and poor character arc/development. I would be pretty happy if this gives him some leverage to get into talks with WB and I hope they soft reboot and recast the other roles. He has good chemistry with Anya so it's about finding someone to gel with Cavill. Routh definitely had the same prob with script and casting given the huge positive reception to him as Kingdom Come Superman.

The problem with Superman imo has always been the poor motivations and development. If Chris Evans, who is no greater an actor than Cavill, can make Cap, as Marvel's moral compass, so beloved, then Cavill can with Superman with the right director and script. Snyder did not harness what he had well and the vision for Superman and script just did not work. I have been saying this a while and I stick to it. Many people and fans have a lot of good will towards Cavill because he is a gentleman and despite the role of Superman nearly destroying his career he still has been supportive and loyal of the character. Bad enough the guy was killed prematurely and shoved aside and prob would have turned evil etc...but then we had the debacle with the bad CGI etc. He was ridiculed for a while and yet he took it in his stride. Unlike Ben. Who was pissed from the start. He also reads the source material so I think he understands what the character is about.

I wish Henry all success! Give him a chance, WB. I want to see him lead the Justice League! But if he does not, no matter who they cast, they need to examine what they did wrong with both him and Routh and try to get it right. Heroes with optimistic , inspiring vibes are embraced as seen with Cap, Black Panther , Wonder Woman etc.
    Last edited by hellacre; 01-05-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Yay! The Witcher is a HUGE success!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies...n-mandalorian/

Going up against Baby Yoda, the biggest thing atm, is no mean feat.

It's great to see. And shows that Henry has so much charisma that the DCEU stifled and they gave him a lousy script and poor character arc/development. I would be pretty happy if this gives him some leverage to get into talks with WB and I hope they soft reboot and recast the other roles. He has good chemistry with Anya so it's about finding someone to gel with Cavill. Routh definitely had the same prob with script and casting given the huge positive reception to him as Kingdom Come Superman.

The problem with Superman imo has always been the poor motivations and development. If Chris Evans, who is no greater an actor than Cavill, can make Cap, as Marvel's moral compass, so beloved, then Cavill can with Superman with the right director and script. Snyder did not harness what he had well and the vision for Superman and script just did not work. I have been saying this a while and I stick to it. Many people and fans have a lot of good will towards Cavill because he is a gentleman and despite the role of Superman nearly destroying his career he still has been supportive and loyal of the character. Bad enough the guy was killed prematurely and shoved aside and prob would have turned evil etc...but then we had the debacle with the bad CGI etc. He was ridiculed for a while and yet he took it in his stride. Unlike Ben. Who was pissed from the start. He also reads the source material so I think he understands what the character is about.

I wish Henry all success! Give him a chance, WB. I want to see him lead the Justice League! But if he does not, no matter who they cast, they need to examine what they did wrong with both him and Routh and try to get it right. Heroes with optimistic , inspiring vibes are embraced as seen with Cap, Black Panther , Wonder Woman etc.
    The Witcher has proven that Cavill works very well with the right cast and makes an incredible partner with a woman of the same sex appeal as him! I can't wait for next season!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deiasilva10 View Post
    The Witcher has proven that Cavill works very well with the right cast and makes an incredible partner with a woman of the same sex appeal as him! I can't wait for next season!
    The fact that instead of critiquing the WRITING and DIRECTION choices that were used in both Man of Steel and BvS you went straight to essentially implying that Amy Adams doesn’t have “the same sex appeal” as Henry Cavill is...a real choice. A ...real....choice.

The actress playing opposite Henry Cavill in The Witcher is beautiful and wonderful. She’s also 13 years younger than Henry Cavill. There’s a larger age difference between her and Cavill than the one between him and Amy Adams and it’s not lost on me that Adams took thinly veiled abuse like this literally since the second she was cast but now that he’s paired with a woman 13 years younger, suddenly, it’s the “same sex appeal.”

How convienant.

Stick to critiquing writing and direction and refrain from commenting on the “sex appeal” of women, particularly when you are taking thinly veiled shots at a woman over 40, please. That’s not ok and all of these women deserve better than that.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 01-05-2020 at 01:34 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    To me, Cavill is a vain and selfish human being and a mediocre actor. I loved the Snyder films but can't stand Cavill. THE WITCHER didn't impress me either. I'm fine with Cavill returning as Superman if only because i want his character's story to continue and I like Adams. Cavill has made it easier for me to be okay with a fresh start too, though.
    I enjoyed The Witcher for what it was and I was impressed with the acting specifically of the actresses most notably Anya and Frey’s but...this. I really wish the show had not saddled Anya with a backstory and character arc that is so entrenched in ableism and disrespect to the disabled community. The actress is excellent and that’s not her fault but the showrunners need to address this next season.

I’m over Cavill. I think he’s a fine actor but I think he’s out for himself. I’m fine with him getting another Superman film provided Adams and Fishbourne and Lane are with him. If not? No interest. Recast the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I enjoyed The Witcher for what it was and I was impressed with the acting specifically of the actresses most notably Anya and Frey’s but...this. I really wish the show had not saddled Anya with a backstory and character arc that is so entrenched in ableism and disrespect to the disabled community. The actress is excellent and that’s not her fault but the showrunners need to address this next season.
    Same. I didn't hate the show. It was entertaining and had some good ideas in it. There were some elements of it that were off-putting (e.g. the ableism), however, and Cavill didn't really do anything for me one way or the other. He's a beautiful looking guy and his character had a decent edge and warmth, but overall I just felt "meh" about it.

I’m over Cavill. I think he’s a fine actor but I think he’s out for himself. I’m fine with him getting another Superman film provided Adams and Fishbourne and Lane are with him. If not? No interest. Recast the part.
    Sadly, yes.

The fact that instead of critiquing the WRITING and DIRECTION choices that were used in both Man of Steel and BvS you went straight to essentially implying that Amy Adams doesn’t have “the same sex appeal” as Henry Cavill is...a real choice. A ...real....choice.

The actress playing opposite Henry Cavill in The Witcher is beautiful and wonderful. She’s also 13 years younger than Henry Cavill. There’s a larger age difference between her and Cavill than the one between him and Amy Adams and it’s not lost on me that Adams took thinly veiled abuse like this literally since the second she was cast but now that he’s paired with a woman 13 years younger, suddenly, it’s the “same sex appeal.”

How convienant.

Stick to critiquing writing and direction and refrain from commenting on the “sex appeal” of women, particularly when you are taking thinly veiled shots at a woman over 40, please. That’s not ok and all of these women deserve better than that.
    Yes, to all of this. Adams does not deserve this kind of ageist critique. Not to mention the styles and audiences for these projects are totally different. There are boundaries that The Witcher could push and things they could show that the DC films couldn't. When one can only sense something is "sexy" when people are literally naked and having sex with the overall context of a narrative oozing sensuality, then perhaps it's just a certain kind of sexual content that is appealing and not that there wasn't any in MOS/BvS, both of which had to be more family friendly and were stories with different intentions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Henry Cavill as an actor has a lot of range. Like has anyone here seen The Man From UNCLE, a totally different character...think Sterling Archer but somewhat competent. He was great in that role.

The Witcher likewise is quite a different character from that. As in the case of Superman. So he's got a lot of range. To be honest, I think he would have made a perfect James Bond as well, but maybe that ship has sailed. He's got a lot of ambition for a performer so I think we haven't seen the full extent of what he can do and who he can be.

I think the problem with his Superman was down to a lack of overall clarity rather than him. At the same time, I don't entirely disagree with people who feel Superman was miscast. I think Superman should be played by an American actor primarily. I also think that Cavill's naturally personable and sociable but he was cast as a version of Superman who was a total shut-in, so I think he was miscast even for Snyder's take on the character. Cavill's Superman was sexy so that helped in the interactions with Amy Adams' Lois (which I legitimately like and thought was the best part of those movies), and Cavill's Superman at least dispensed with the eternal virgin/can't lay with humans version of Reeve's Superman (and before anyone brings up Superman II...he got busy with Lois after surrendering his powers).
    I liked Henry and Amy together when they were allowed to talk to each other and share screentime. Which was not enough imo. But when they did have moments together (the bathroom scene as the highlight) they were sensual and intimate. I like Cavill as an actor but, to be honest, I like Adams more as a human. I’ve been turned off enough by Cavill’s behavior in the last few years (his comments about the me too movement were extremely off putting) to feel that I’m fine if they reboot Superman even though I liked him in the films.

(**the Superman 2 “to be with a human you have to live like one” was about lifestyle. It was akin to forcing him to live like a Jedi...no attachments, no personal desire etc. It was not about not being able to have sex and, in fact, in the Richard Donner cut they make love BEFORE he gives them up. It was a larger idea essentially akin to the idea that Superman needed to devote himself to a life of solitude. The fact that portions of fandom used it for years as a means to justify Superman not being able to sleep with Lois with powers reveals the sexism of the fandom....because that’s not actually the point that particular narrative was making. I get why you are happy Snyder addressed it but..well...yeah.)
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 01-05-2020 at 02:23 PM.

What exactly does this mean though? Pretty much all actors are out for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    What exactly does this mean though? Pretty much all actors are out for themselves.
    Yeah lmao. It’s no crime to want more money from these companies that want to pay actors peanuts for acting in their billion dollar cinematic universes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah lmao. It’s no crime to want more money from these companies that want to pay actors peanuts for acting in their billion dollar cinematic universes.
    Unless it's about him not being a team player with Shazam and not supporting the Snyder Cut (though being diplomatic about it). The extreme fringe of Snyder Cultists are of course saying negative things about him.

Considering he was a team player for MoS, BvS and JL and that all turned into a shitshow of epic proportions, it's hard to blame him. It's not like Adams or Fishburne or Affleck are losing any sleep about jumping ship at this point either.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Unless it's about him not being a team player with Shazam and not supporting the Snyder Cut (though being diplomatic about it). The extreme fringe of Snyder Cultists are of course saying negative things about him.

Considering he was a team player for MoS, BvS and JL and that all turned into a shitshow of epic proportions, it's hard to blame him. It's not like Adams or Fishburne or Affleck are losing any sleep about jumping ship at this point either.
    Oh I’ve seen those people and frankly they need to get over themselves. Snyder did Cavill’s career no favors, people were routinely criticizing him as the worst part of these movies, of course the dude isn’t on board with seeing Snyder’s “vision” for Superman continued. If Cavill ever gets another movie he will assuredly take the character in a new direction. I’m kind of surprised we haven’t heard anything since the Witcher came out, if Cavill was hoping to make one last push, now is the time. Otherwise he should content himself with escaping the “Superman curse” by becoming Geralt. Being Superman might end up being a footnote for Cavill if the Witcher improves over the seasons.

Watched The Witcher last week. It was very entertaining and it looked great. Loved the 3 leads. Henry was very good as Geralt and I can't wait for season 2.

It's also great to hear that it beat The Mandalorian with baby Yoda in views worldwide.

I like Henry a lot, as an actor and as a person, as far as I can see in interviews. I think he wanted more creative control of Superman in his future movies. I really can't blame him at all because Snyder and WB did him very dirty after Man of Steel especially.

Glad to see The Witcher show is a huge success. Hope this opens more doors for Cavill, I like watching him.

‘The Witcher’ on Track to Be Netflix’s Biggest TV Show Premiere Ever, Company Claims

https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...re-1203474724/