Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Oh oh! Pepper taking advantage of Tony Stark while in the process of him deleting his brain.
    Huh. Now that you mention it, I never thought of it that way but that probably wasn't the best time for them to be sleeping together...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Marvel has a problem with treating female rapists as a joke or no big deal. See Moondragon being allowed to remain a hero or Ewing attempting to make Lorelei, a serial date-rapist, into a hero during his Loki run.
    It's a problem society has, by taking some issues less seriously because of "who" is suffering for them and ignoring because "This other one suffers more" instead of looking at the person suffering.

Hypocrital, self-destructive, moronic, whatever, it's bad, and the female rapists is reflecting some of this, and I'd honestly be happy if that kind of double standard was only in fictional stories and not in real life, but ain't the case unfortunately.

Not even just isolated to Marvel as pointed out, how many times did a woman rape Dick and nobody cared? I also vaguely recall a case of one woman raping another, I'm not sure if that was Marvel or DC, but I think the writers excused as "She (The victim) enjoyed it!".

Quote Originally Posted by BitParallel View Post
    Scott wasn’t paying her, so she wasn’t his official therapist.
    For all intents and purposes, she was, Scott was certainly treating her like such, and she was trying to help him out too, but then she also decided to be what is at least a fucking unprofessional creep with that ****.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    What issue was this?
    Amazing Spider-Man #603.
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/spider-mans-...reator-5358396

Though I got it wrong about the author; article says it was Van Lente.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    But the issue is that Ultimatum didn't just change things, but changed them in the most violent and ridiculous way possible. It just felt...blah and tainted the line.

The issue with Stacy X wasn't that she was a hooker, but that the writers just treated her horribly. She was hardly evdn a plot devise.

Oh, and while we're at it, Angel having sky sex with an underage girl in front of her mother.

I came into comics during Dark Reign, so for most of my comic book reading years, Jean Grey just wasn't really around. It's still taking time to get used to her being back.
    If memory serves Stacy X while a hooker never actually slept with any of her clients, she used her mutant powers to do the work for her, making her a virgin hooker...then future writers just threw that in the trash and made her into a stereotype and such...as for Warren and Paige, Austen tried to ease the anger from that moment by saying that he wrote Paige as being 19 at the time of the sex so she wasn't underage...

And let's not forget Austen having Hawkeye and Wasp have sex, with Hank walking in on them, then later on when Captain America calls the team together for a mission Hawkeye shows up with Wasp's panties hanging from his belt like a trophy and everybody just accepts it and moves on, then later writers had to fix it all...

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Also surprising is when Ardian Syaf managed to insert anti-semitic messages into X-Men Gold #1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardian_Syaf

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Also surprising is when Ardian Syaf managed to insert anti-semitic messages into X-Men Gold #1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardian_Syaf
    Actually, those were given as easter eggs, looking like random numbers in the background to the unaware eye, so the editors did not "allow" it on purpose, it simply passed under their radar. And when it published and noticed, that man was fired immediately. So, no, I wouldn't list it as things that "Marvel allowed".

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    I would say Gwenpool.
    Gwenpool wasn't really that shocking when you remember how Spider-Gwen's debut issue sold like gangbusters. Marvel was pretty transparently trying to make lightning strike twice with Gwenpool.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    ...And let's not forget Austen having Hawkeye and Wasp have sex, with Hank walking in on them, then later on when Captain America calls the team together for a mission Hawkeye shows up with Wasp's panties hanging from his belt like a trophy and everybody just accepts it and moves on, then later writers had to fix it all...
    WTF?!? Makes me glad I wasn't following Avengers at the time.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    If memory serves Stacy X while a hooker never actually slept with any of her clients, she used her mutant powers to do the work for her, making her a virgin hooker...then future writers just threw that in the trash and made her into a stereotype and such...as for Warren and Paige, Austen tried to ease the anger from that moment by saying that he wrote Paige as being 19 at the time of the sex so she wasn't underage...

And let's not forget Austen having Hawkeye and Wasp have sex, with Hank walking in on them, then later on when Captain America calls the team together for a mission Hawkeye shows up with Wasp's panties hanging from his belt like a trophy and everybody just accepts it and moves on, then later writers had to fix it all...
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    WTF?!? Makes me glad I wasn't following Avengers at the time.
    Yeah, same here. That sounds just all kinds of messed up.

And as for the ongoing argument about Scott and Emma, even Moonstone wouldn't go that low, and she used to manipulate her patients into killing themselves for s***s and giggles.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Austen was a mad lad; not gonna lie.

If Moonstone was manipulating her patients into killing themselves then she already stooped lower than Emma.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, a gang-beating like that . . . I wasn't expecting that when I first read that issue as a kid. As for Spider-Man demolishing Titania . . . superior speed, skill, and experience beats brute force and overconfidence (almost) every time.
    I was thinking more that a male beat up a female that badly. Even if she is a villain.

It's honestly a little surprising Marvel allowed Chuck Austen to write two of their flagship X-books and Avengers. And if I may cross over to the other company briefly, it's even more shocking that DC took a look at his work and decided he'd be the right fit for Action Comics.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Austen was a mad lad; not gonna lie.

If Moonstone was manipulating her patients into killing themselves then she already stooped lower than Emma.
    Yeah, that's a good point, I must admit.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I was thinking more that a male beat up a female that badly. Even if she is a villain.
    Hmm, yeah? I just thought of it as Titania getting her comeuppance for helping beat up She-Hulk and riding high on it until she was encountered by someone who made her every bit as helpless as She-Hulk was.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    SInce we're mentioning Hickman (a writer I overall really really like), I absolutely hated the scene where Shuri basically decided to throw her life away for no reason and T'CHalla just kind of let her do it and left her. WTF was that?
    I was kind of treating it as a cultural responsibility everyone took for granted. But I see your point that in US society, no guy let’s their sister take the fall and he gets away. But then we are talking about the guy who let his wife get captured by Doctor Doom, while he gets away free. I could never understand that one, at all.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    There was a mutant that was a skeleton in pink goo with cartoony eyes. And he was being featured in many comics. Marvel should have an editor, someone who oversees what the artists are doing and say "Really? This? This is what you call a good character? Do it again, and do it fine this time!"
    Hey, don't be knocking on Herman! He was great in Grant Morrison's "Riot at Xavier's" arc, a big jumb jock made of paraffin and easily manipulated by Quentin Quire. Dunno if he was well used elsewhere.

2SSqsoe.jpg