Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Clone Saga, Age Of Apocalypse, Heroes Reborn, OMD/BND and Iceman's coming out.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    How did this thread make it out so far without this?

That Osborn face gives me nightmares to this day, and I don't even hate the story!

Something that I do hate, though, and I don't know how it was allowed to exist:

Old sweet aunt NO MORE!
    Holy chrimeny! Can't believe I forgot about this, I must have pushed it out of my mind. *shudders* You totally forgot about the real life pictures of those girls on the covers, god so creepy

I can't believe they gave Millar & JMS that much rope

From 1984, I was surprised Marvel allowed Spidey to ditch his original threads for the symbiote:

Celebrating Spider-Man's 700th issue by having him switch bodies with a villain, him dying in that villain's body, and that villain swinging off into the sunset with a happy ending

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Something that I do hate, though, and I don't know how it was allowed to exist:

Old sweet aunt NO MORE!
    Curiosity increases ... what was this? I have no memory?

Found the wikipedia entry ... OK you win, good sir. How on earth?
    Last edited by GrandEleven; 11-02-2019 at 08:30 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    Curiosity increases ... what was this? I have no memory?

Found the wikipedia entry ... OK you win, good sir. How on earth?
    Two words: Mark Millar

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Also surprising is when Fantastic Four #278-279 (1985) used the n-word multiple times: http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chron..._278-279.shtml
    Or in X-Men when Kitty pryde said the n word a multiple times to fictional Black characters a d was made worse by first trying to say that a real life word that was offensive and hateful to Black people, was just as bad as calling her a mutie, a fake made up word for mutants. And then later when a Black character excused her for saying the words and agreed with her for why she said them.

I would add to this thread. All of Coates black panther series. Let's put it this way, of Coates was a white writer and wrote the book the exact same way that Coates is currently writing it, he would of be crucified hard and marvel comic's would of instantaneously burst into flames from all the heat they would be receiving

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    [B]Or in X-Men when Kitty pryde said the n word a multiple times to fictional Black characters a d was made worse by first trying to say that a real life word that was offensive and hateful to Black people, was just as bad as calling her a mutie, a fake made up word for mutants. And then later when a Black character excused her for saying the words and agreed with her for why she said them.
    Yeah, I think there's a limit to much the histories of black people and mutants can be compared with each other before the comparison stops in its tracks. I feel what further complicates the comparison is the evolutionary and loss of control of power aspects of mutants, as well as Magneto in particular saying he wanted to enslave humans on multiple occasions.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-03-2019 at 12:40 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HipHopAvenger View Post
    Ms Marvel getting raped and the Avengers not batting an eye and Ms Marvel accepting it
    Yup. Even by 1980 standards.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

At the time, the biggest surprise for me was Monica Rambeau getting the moniker of Captain Marvel. I never, ever, ever thought Marvel would permanently allow something like that. And as it turns out, I was right.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Allowing a practicing hooker on the X-Men.

I like Stacy X's design though.
    Well, if they let Mantis on the Avengers given her past, nothing should surprise us. I'm waiting for the X-Men to create a version of Cardi B. to join the team.

Boisterously Confused

Of less offensive caliber than some of the entries offered here: The Winter Soldier.

There used to be a phrase: "Bucky Dead." Bucky and Heinrich Zemo were the only two characters that seemed capable of jamming death's revolving door in Marvel comics. When I realized what was going on, my eyebrows went pretty far up.

In 2018's "Life of Captain Marvel", I was surprised the Kree Cleaner referred to Carol as a "Half breed".

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Celebrating Spider-Man's 700th issue by having him switch bodies with a villain, him dying in that villain's body, and that villain swinging off into the sunset with a happy ending
    Yeah, and issue 800 ended with the death of a supporting cast member who'd been there since Amazing Fantasy #15.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, and issue 800 ended with the death of a supporting cast member who'd been there since Amazing Fantasy #15.
    Ehh that one isn’t shocking. Neither will it be if he comes back to life.