Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Who will be the winners and losers in the upcoming streaming wars?

Who will be the winners and losers in the upcoming streaming wars? These articles have some interesting ideas:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...quibi-apple-tv

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2019/1...-it-will-cost/
    Last edited by The Overlord; 11-01-2019 at 08:51 PM.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

I dropped cable about five years ago for Netflix when I bought my Roku TV. The originals shows and movies are the best! And, I still get a lot of the shows that I'd watch on regular cable. I really don't see us breaking up anytime soon.

Shortly after, I subscribed to Amazon Prime. They don't have as many shows that interest me but I keep subscribing because of the other benefits Prime offers.

I bought a year subscription to DC Universe and I'm not convinced the programming will keep me on board. I mean, I'm bored! Really. Luckily they offer digital comics as well and I'm enjoying that more right now.

Disney+ offered a great price for their year subscription and I'm ready for it. So excited!

Then!, to put a cherry on top! I just learned about Apple TV+ a couple of days ago. On the Build network or channel on YouTube. There are a ton of shows that look amazing and it only costs $4.99 a month! So yeah, I just became a member and watched an episode of See and For All Mankind this afternoon. Let me tell you! I don't know who's going to win this war but I feel like it just might be me!

Cable sucks! Subscribe to what you love. Peace!

Astonishing Member

The biggest winners?

Pirates.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

We're headed to a situation where each network and entertainment company is going to have their own dedicated streaming channel, with their content exclusively on it, and charging a separate fee which will of course go up over time. The result will eventually be that you'll be paying a ton of money each month to watch the same dozen channels, only you'll have a dozen different bills to keep track of instead of just one. Eventually the ISPs (in most cases the same corporations you paid for your cable TV) will hit on the idea of offering bundled subscriptions to the streaming services. As bandwidth usage goes up and up... even more when everybody starts streaming in UHD... the ISPs will start metering our usage and charging us more that way, too. And it's only a matter of time before the streamers start greatly increasing the cost of the commercial-free option, or eliminating it altogether.

Since we don't have net neutrality anymore, ISPs will be able to charge streaming services for the privilege of carrying them, and blacking them out in the event of a dispute.

This is why I continue to collect DVDs.

But, at least in the short run, I think Disney+ and HBO Max will be successful, with Disney eventually absorbing Hulu and HBO Max being re-branded as Warner+ or something like that. Netflix will survive mainly on the strength of their original programming (they'll eventually lose most everything else) and Amazon Prime will be OK because they have most of the money in the world.

I ditched cable nearly 10 years ago.

Right now I have Netflix's base plan for $8.99 a month.

Amazon Prime for $6.99 a month (I'm cheating and using my daughters college email address to get student rates. She uses it too so so maybe its not cheating, just sharing).

And I subscribed to Disney+ a few months ago when they were running the 3 year for under $4 a month promo.

That pretty much covers most things and I can still stream many network shows the day after they air. Except AMC, stupid AMC. Not letting us stream your shows AMC without an actual cable account is why people pirate.

Andrew hit the nail on the head.

Right now, subscribing to all the major streaming services will run you slightly over $100 a month. That's a cable bill.

I've always been pro a la carte tv. But once/if the Internet/Cable Providers get involved out of spite due to lost customers, it'll be a different story.

I'm probably going to figure out a streaming rotation in the next year, grabbing one or two for 3 to 6 month stints and swapping out to grab the next channels content after I binge enough of the first. Aside from Amazon Prime, which I have for reasons apart from streaming anyways. The shows are a bonus.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

As for as losers go I'll say CBS. Does it have anything on there worth other than a shitty Star Trek show?

I will be getting Disney+ and I have Netflix. I have Hulu, but I find I'm watching it less and less so I might drop it. I also have cable and they keep improving their DVR service. Despite Star Trek, I did not sign up for CBS. I would love to watch Discovery and the Picard show, but that's not enough. I bought into DCUniverse but who knows what will happen with that - I already have HBO so who knows?

There's a lot to watch and apple and Facebook are creating content now too? It all has to reach a breaking point...

Boisterously Confused

It's going to be hard to say. Traditional logic about TV competition didn't have to concern itself with pricing, and the streaming model does.

Extraordinary Member

Winners:

1. Netflix. Sorry the brand awareness is strong and they are streaming and are the auto default for everyone.

2. Amazon, just the fact that prime is a thing and there are so many benefits with it, it sorta becomes a no brainer

3. Hulu/Disney. The package will make it work and make it an excellent third choice.

Imo that's 30 bucks a month.

I think HBO might also have a shot.

Anyways I think the network services will lose.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Winners:

1. Netflix. Sorry the brand awareness is strong and they are streaming and are the auto default for everyone.

2. Amazon, just the fact that prime is a thing and there are so many benefits with it, it sorta becomes a no brainer

3. Hulu/Disney. The package will make it work and make it an excellent third choice.

Imo that's 30 bucks a month.

I think HBO might also have a shot.

Anyways I think the network services will lose.
    Actually, I think Netflix stands the most to lose and could be hit the hardest.

It's only a matter of time before all the studios pull their content from Netflix to put on their own streaming service. What drove people to Netflix was the convenience of being able to watch any movie or show desired whenever the person wanted to watch it. When that transferred to streaming, it made it even more convenient. Netflix was smart by branching out and developing original content but it was established shows and movies that initially brought people to Netflix. With that likely to be gone within the next few years, can Netflix really survive on original content alone, when HBO, Hulu, and Disney will be able to provide both? I mean are people really going to pay $10-17 a month for 1 or 2 shows or movies they really want to watch, when they can likely buy the season on disc all at once much cheaper in the long run?

There's also the issue that Netflix is entirely dependent on shows and movies, whereas Disney, Warner, and Amazon have other product for which they can generate revenue.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post

It's only a matter of time before all the studios pull their content from Netflix to put on their own streaming service. What drove people to Netflix was the convenience of being able to watch any movie or show desired whenever the person wanted to watch it. When that transferred to streaming, it made it even more convenient. Netflix was smart by branching out and developing original content but it was established shows and movies that initially brought people to Netflix. With that likely to be gone within the next few years, can Netflix really survive on original content alone, when HBO, Hulu, and Disney will be able to provide both? I mean are people really going to pay $10-17 a month for 1 or 2 shows or movies they really want to watch, when they can likely buy the season on disc all at once much cheaper in the long run?

There's also the issue that Netflix is entirely dependent on shows and movies, whereas Disney, Warner, and Amazon have other product for which they can generate revenue.
    Not all studios have the library to branch out on their own. I don't see Paramount, Lionsgate, Sony Pictures getting their own services. They sell exclusivity to any service willing to pay for it. Warner as locked down streaming exclusivity for shows like Doctor Who and South Park for HBO Max.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post

To be honest, I wonder if the network streaming losers will consider shifting content to Netflix when belts start to tighten up, based on the thought that part of a sure thing is a better deal than all of a failing venture.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Not all studios have the library to branch out on their own. I don't see Paramount, Lionsgate, Sony Pictures getting their own services. They sell exclusivity to any service willing to pay for it. Warner as locked down streaming exclusivity for shows like Doctor Who and South Park for HBO Max.
    Sony already has the base of a streaming service with their purchase of Funimation. While anime is a niche, the skeleton is already there for anything more. Although a portion of Funimation content is already pairing with Hulu for anyone wanting to sample stuff.
    Dark does not mean deep.