Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I see two things happening on the digital media landscape.

The first has been going for a while, but may be soon reaching its bursting point: Fragmentation.
    Once it was discovered that viewers would pay a small fee to access a select brand or program, everyone began rushing out their own services.
    If left unchecked, we'd eventually have a separate service for every show or movie we'd want to watch.
    I see this winding down soon as companies realize that some niche programs and channels don't have an audience large enough to support its own service.

The other thing that I see, which appears to be moving into place, is the bundle streamers like Philo and Sling.
    But even more-so, the FREE ad-supported ones, like Pluto, Xumo and Stirr, are gaining in appeal.

I think we'll start to see fragmentation slow down.
    However, Disney+ will be huge and it could revive fragmentation.
    But for anything to compete with it, they'd have to bundle together to be just as big.
    And the only service I see reaching that level would be HBO Max.

Hulu and Netflix have been safe because of brand recognition. They're the old kids on the block, and they have established users.
    Netflix has done the most to ensure it'll be relevant in the future by making tons of original shows.
    Hulu has done a few originals, but its biggest strength has been access to network shows the day after they air.
    This would go out the window when the broadcast networks get on a bundle streaming service with dvr capabilities.
    Hulu has some challenges ahead if it wants to stay in the game.

We currently keep Amazon Prime, because it bundles with our ordering from Amazon and because our digital library is there. Everything we buy digitally is bought on Prime Video.
    So it's convenient that we can watch our owned content and the streaming content with one service.

We had Sling, but dropped it for Philo. However, we're now giving Sling another chance, but I'm still edging towards Philo.
    My other half is currently digging Sling more, and we added a few extra channels to it to cover most of the things I'd lose if we dropped Philo.
    We'll be keeping one of the two. Place your bets!

We have DC Universe, but we rarely use it. I'd use it for reading comics, but hardly anything post-2011 interests me. The '60s Batman tv series isn't carried on it and to prepare for dropping DC Universe, we've bought all the Superfriends episodes available on Amazon Prime.
    So DC Universe is on its way out.
    We may pick it back up briefly for Season 2 of Doom Patrol if it's still around.

Same thing happened with Boomerang. Really cheap service, but I only kept it for Scooby Doo.
    So we started buying the seasons of Scooby Doo on Amazon Prime and dropped Boomerang.

I'm also enjoying Pluto.
    Xumo and Stirr are both still kinda new.
    And I'm glad to see Comet TV is now on some of these bundle streamers because it cuts down on the number of apps to keep up with.

We also have a digital receiver/dvr for our antenna outside, and our main channels on it are PBS Create, MeTV, AntennaTV and CoziTV, all of which aren't available streaming.
    Although, some of the shows we watch do appear on streaming channels if we search for them.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

Hulu and Netflix have been safe because of brand recognition. They're the old kids on the block, and they have established users.
    Netflix has done the most to ensure it'll be relevant in the future by making tons of original shows.
    Hulu has done a few originals, but its biggest strength has been access to network shows the day after they air.
    This would go out the window when the broadcast networks get on a bundle streaming service with dvr capabilities.
    Hulu has some challenges ahead if it wants to stay in the game.
    One thing to keep in mind with Hulu is that Disney is it's majority shareholder and they have operational control over it. Disney has offered a bundle deal with it, Disney+ and ESPN+. Hulu is likely the dumping ground for all the Fox and mature properties in Disney stable. No way movies like Alien will be on Disney+

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    One thing to keep in mind with Hulu is that Disney is it's majority shareholder and they have operational control over it. Disney has offered a bundle deal with it, Disney+ and ESPN+. Hulu is likely the dumping ground for all the Fox and mature properties in Disney stable. No way movies like Alien will be on Disney+
    This is true.

I could see Hulu becoming a streaming service like Philo and Sling, but limited to the networks owned by Disney, with that more adult content and the original programs thrown in as VOD.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

I’m on the free trial for Disney+. What I seen so far Disney+ will be the loser.

Extraordinary Member

At this point it’s fair to say that Hulu and Disney should be a package and considered one. There will be synergy and the bundle is too high a value.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    I’m on the free trial for Disney+. What I seen so far Disney+ will be the loser.
    They’ll add everything. Don’t underestimate the nostalgia factor and massive IP’s. You won’t get the prestige television Amazon and Netflix and HBO give you, but it will have values

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Actually, I think Netflix stands the most to lose and could be hit the hardest.

It's only a matter of time before all the studios pull their content from Netflix to put on their own streaming service. What drove people to Netflix was the convenience of being able to watch any movie or show desired whenever the person wanted to watch it. When that transferred to streaming, it made it even more convenient. Netflix was smart by branching out and developing original content but it was established shows and movies that initially brought people to Netflix. With that likely to be gone within the next few years, can Netflix really survive on original content alone, when HBO, Hulu, and Disney will be able to provide both? I mean are people really going to pay $10-17 a month for 1 or 2 shows or movies they really want to watch, when they can likely buy the season on disc all at once much cheaper in the long run?

There's also the issue that Netflix is entirely dependent on shows and movies, whereas Disney, Warner, and Amazon have other product for which they can generate revenue.
    Paramount just buddies up with Netflix and now they have a Nickelodeon deal. They aren’t going anywhere. Maybe share more pie, but that’s it

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    They’ll add everything. Don’t underestimate the nostalgia factor and massive IP’s. You won’t get the prestige television Amazon and Netflix and HBO give you, but it will have values
    I think they're waiting for a lot of licenses with outside companies to expire, and will gradually add the stuff that gets freed up.

As far as I'm concerned there's no excuse for them not to have their entire film and TV library up for streaming eventually... including all the Disney cartoons.

BANNED

Giving us one week free trial with little content is not smart.

Giving us one week free trial with little content is not smart.
    Little content???? Disney +
    I have it and my husband and I watched all thru out the afternoon and evening without problems and we thought they have a ton of movies and shows.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

You gonna explain this one. D+ is busting with content. Unless you want to complain their isn't enough new material to consume.

BANNED

It’s little content, no explanation needed

It’s little content, no explanation needed
    What qualities as "little" content? Just about everything I can think of from Disney appears on this service. I'm scrolling through this list of the known content from launch and I know I couldn't get through all of it
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/14/...nal-geographic

BANNED

What qualities as "little" content? Just about everything I can think of from Disney appears on this service. I'm scrolling through this list of the known content from launch and I know I couldn't get through all of it
    It’s a lot of content for a child, but very little for an adult.

Dont bother, the app will speak for itself. only issues it has are technical. It doesnt tell you left off or have a continue watching section. Along with other crap they got to fix. It just launched and they have a gold mine of stuff they are still sitting on to drop onto Hulu and Disney+. Not to mention all the originals they got planned. I expect Hulu to start trending up and eventually them bundling the two together. Marvel is already got Planned Adult Cartoons with Hulu.v All the Deadpool stuff and Horror movies from fox will end up over at Hulu I bet. I'm willing to bet they end up Bundled together in the near future.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-14-2019 at 02:41 PM.