Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Old Woman Laura discussion

Old Woman Laura was the last arc of All New Wolverine written by Tom Taylor. I think it might actually be one of the most underappreciated arcs in an X-men book. For those unaware, Old Woman Laura took place in an alternate/potential future where THE GOOD GUYS WON. Pretty much every villain and major threat has been taken care of. Laura is Queen of Madripoor, Gabby is the newest Wolverine with laser claws, Ms. Marvel is now President of the United States, etc. The only remaining threat was Doctor Doom, and taking care of him was the plot of the arc. We didn't see much of it, but the very idea of a future where the good guys win and things are largely peaceful is an interesting one.

In light of recent X books changes, I think the idea should come back. If nothing else it strikes at the core of everything Moira stands for.

I maintain that had Tom been able to continue ANW I am sure we would have had a meeting between OWL and current Laura.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

How did you manage to make this an attack on HOXPOX?

Last edited by Tycon; 11-01-2019 at 10:10 PM.

BANNED

Remember when Gabby was married to a (wo)man named Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    First name Taylor, middle name Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Old Woman Laura was the last arc of All New Wolverine written by Tom Taylor. I think it might actually be one of the most underappreciated arcs in an X-men book. For those unaware, Old Woman Laura took place in an alternate/potential future where THE GOOD GUYS WON. Pretty much every villain and major threat has been taken care of. Laura is Queen of Madripoor, Gabby is the newest Wolverine with laser claws, Ms. Marvel is now President of the United States, etc. The only remaining threat was Doctor Doom, and taking care of him was the plot of the arc. We didn't see much of it, but the very idea of a future where the good guys win and things are largely peaceful is an interesting one.

In light of recent X books changes, I think the idea should come back. If nothing else it strikes at the core of everything Moira stands for.
    I didnt read it ( Avoiding the characters X-23, Gabby, and Quire) but it sounds horrible. If mutants dont have people gunning for them they are no longer interesting. There is a reason fear and irrational hatred is a thing. Without it they are just normal boring heros.
    I only continue to read X-books because I don't spend any money on it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    I didnt read it ( Avoiding the characters X-23, Gabby, and Quire) but it sounds horrible. If mutants dont have people gunning for them they are no longer interesting. There is a reason fear and irrational hatred is a thing. Without it they are just normal boring heros.
    Then why do you have X-23 in your avatar?

And I agree with the OP. Bleak futures are a dime a dozen. You literally can't throw a rock in the Marvel Universe without starting one. Seeing a future timeline where everything works out was frankly a breath of fresh air and something I'd like to see explored further, especially the implications for the heroes themselves; IE what do they do when the fight is over, and there's no more villains to face?
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 11-02-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    First name Taylor, middle name Thomas.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I enjoyed this arc a lot. The art was specially beautiful.

I agree that we are oversaturated with dystopic futures. It was interesting the first few times they done it, but nowadays everytime they show one of those I just roll my eyes. I guess Age of Apocalypse was the last interesting one for me.

Overall, Tom Taylor did a nice job on the mutants. His X23 was awesome and X-Men Red was pretty good too. I'd love if he came back on board.

I didn't expect to see the hate on for Tom Taylor here. I thought it was a breath of fresh air. Some actual optimism in the X books was a godsend.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    I didn't expect to see the hate on for Tom Taylor here. I thought it was a breath of fresh air. Some actual optimism in the X books was a godsend.
    You are new here.

i really liked Tom Taylor take on the characters, but now seems like he found more freedom over DC.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I thought it was an underwhelming end to an otherwise solid comic book series. It was a little more optimistic than some, but it wasn't much different from any other hypothetical "end" story in a superhero series. An overly boastful sequence of issues that largely only re-iterate what the creator has already said about the character in their previous work. It definitely took the overall series down a few notches.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I understand that it wasn't perfect, but I did like Gabby's futuristic Wolverine costume and I admired that the writer went for a more optimistic and less bleak vision of the future, something we could all use these days. It's the same reason I enjoy the MC2 universe spinning out of the Spider-Girl comics so much; it's a future that doesn't completely suck and where hope can be and is rewarded instead of punished and trampled on. Even 2099 and Old Man Logan, as bleak as those timelines started off and were, seemed to have ended on (or be about to end on) a more optimistic note, because again, having all those future timelines so oversaturated with pessimism, cynicism, and even nihilism is just a recipe for apathy. If all the futures depicted are almost monochromatically depressing and dark, then what's the point of getting invested? Thankfully, Jonathan Hickman's current run on X-Men is finally pushing past all that and into a place where the characters (and the readers) actually have hope for and in the future again. That's something I am here for and can get behind.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Thought the story was okay. Not my favorite, but did work as a thematic ending to the series, whether it be one possible future, a AU, or whatever (sure hope it was an AU, since I don't want "our" X-23 dying from clone sickness in a few decades).

They never did specify whether her spouse was a husband or a wife; thought that really funny given I recall seeing outrage online from certain parties about her being made LGBTQ despite the stories they were complaining about not actually saying it one way or the other. (Gabby was mentioned to have biological children, so make of that what you in regards to her martial status). That said, really wish we could've seen the family in the story.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Thought the story was okay. Not my favorite, but did work as a thematic ending to the series, whether it be one possible future, a AU, or whatever (sure hope it was an AU, since I don't want "our" X-23 dying from clone sickness in a few decades).

They never did specify whether her spouse was a husband or a wife; thought that really funny given I recall seeing outrage online from certain parties about her being made LGBTQ despite the stories they were complaining about not actually saying it one way or the other. (Gabby was mentioned to have biological children, so make of that what you in regards to her martial status). That said, really wish we could've seen the family in the story.
    Hmm, Laura dying of clone degeneration in Old Woman Laura puzzled me, but considering the story ended with Gabby vowing to help her find a cure so she could live out a full lifetime . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.