Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Where we're currently at is actually where I've most wanted to be for a while now. Not a fan of outright bloating the franchise with characters just for the sake of them, but I'm of a fan of the characters around Superman acting as a monument to the progression in his world. I think that's really the only time where it's worth it to have any substantial number, but that also means redundancy has to be cut down where it can be, and certain characters can still exist without actually being linked at the hip to his IP.

I think the mistake most tend to make is to think of Superman's family as anything like Batman's or even Flash's. The structure just isn't the same, and it doesn't need to be. People tend to think in those terms because it's simple shorthand. Batman is a testament to the idea of a found family, and forged support system. Flash is more or less comic's "upper middle class" family. But Superman's family functions far closer to royalty, or in today's case, a presidential First Family. There's this inherent standard of grace and gravitas that they all bring with them and that they all must carry themselves with that the other families have leeway on. This is not subtext. It's just plain text. There's something greater that's expected of you once you wear the shield, and you serve at the pleasure of the world and, honestly, all of creation.
    Yeah! I just don't view them as royalty. That's making him into an elite that he was never meant to be. Clark's father being a scientist is one thing. But, i hated the whole el family being kryptonIan royalty or noble family thing.As for sheild and wearing as a symbol. Strawhat of luffy has symbolism and a deep meaning. Only luffy, shanks and people who predated him wore it spoilers:
    presumably gol d roger
    end of spoilers. His crew mates don't. 's' can stay where its at.
    I just want rich and diverse view points to the main character.
    Edit-Clark is very similar to luffy. Luffy is a priate. Clark is vigilante. Clark causes chaos on arrival. Luffy does the same.luffy's arrival means progress and transformation and that is supposed to be Clark's function. Heck! Even your royalty thing also fits if 'd' family are indeed kings of the lost kingdom of void century. Superman is part of the 's' family while luffy 'd' family.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-02-2019 at 10:52 AM.

My ideal is just Kal-El, Kara Zor-El, Kon-El, and John Henry Irons. Eradicator in a kinda comes and goes status. Going beyond superheroes, Lois, Lana, and Jimmy. No more than that for an extended family. Batman's right now for example is way too big.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    My ideal is just Kal-El, Kara Zor-El, Kon-El, and John Henry Irons. Eradicator in a kinda comes and goes status. Going beyond superheroes, Lois, Lana, and Jimmy. No more than that for an extended family. Batman's right now for example is way too big.
    I don't believe in way too big. Especially, when you can have any amount of panel time to develop characters.i just don't feel his 'family' challenges him or compliments him currently. Kara is basically clark but as a female.i think kara being a bit more kryptonIan culturally with vast difference from earth culture would work . Conner used to be different. But, now i don't know. The latest trend is to channel goldenage guy in conner (atleast in other media). Henry is great but he isn't seen as someone clark can need or compliment. I mean, both superman and the guy that inpired john Henry's character were both anti-machinisation figures. Even though now they are both pro-machinisation in books(the guy wears an iron suit).I would take alpha centurion as cast.john henry iron need some work as a character that could provide different view point.
    Lois, lana and jimmy are great. But, they are rarely superpowered nowadays. Without superpowers taking part in action would be hard. That's why i want jimmy to have his wierd as powers stick. It would really enhance the outthere adventures and comedy for superman.
    Didn't new52 had devil looking thing baka. I think that thing will be good also.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-02-2019 at 12:01 PM.

That's cool, I respect that. I just prefer something smaller, especially for Superman. Everyone knows my ideal is very much not what his status quo is now and the should be more of a loner than he's been in a very long time. A smaller, close circle of friends lends into that preference.

As far as Baka, basically when it comes to Pak's run I'm willing and able to throw anything out for his ideas, lol. He's earned that with me. DC doesn't know great Superman writers when it lands right on their face.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah! I just don't view them as royalty. That's making him into an elite that he was never meant to be. Clark's father being a scientist is one thing. But, i hated the whole el family being kryptonIan royalty or noble family thing.
    I don't mean literally.

They're royalty insofar as the level of reverence, respect, and expectation given to them by literally everyone around them. In that sense, they may as well be royalty. Each member of the family, in text, hold themselves to extremely high moral standards and a life of very direct public service in whatever form they can. They aren't the Bat Family in that they function as a found family with distinct paramilitary overtones. They aren't the relatively normal "upper middle class" Flash family that come complete with a literal "grandpa Flash". There's an in-universe level of gravitas and regality that's inherent after Clark builds the family via example.

What a lot of people tend to forget is that the idea of Superman is in part that he capital I and S IS a person in a position of great power and inherent privilege --that's always been the point-- but he uses it exclusively for the betterment of those around him. You hear terms like "royalty" or "privilege" and you are understandably trained to assume the worst, but the idea with Superman is that he has all of that, and all he wants to do is make sure those less fortunate than him benefit from it.

Superman is the fairly tale we tell ourselves of what our politicians and people in power or with money are supposed to be like. The fact is that he top to bottom lives up to that, and thus he's freely, and sincerely given the respect and gravitas that all of those awful people in power kill for, and he doesn't even want it, but that makes us admire and love him more.

This is what he's always been, and it's also the concept behind his divide with Lex. I'm not saying anything new.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 11-02-2019 at 01:17 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That's cool, I respect that. I just prefer something smaller, especially for Superman. Everyone knows my ideal is very much not what his status quo is now and the should be more of a loner than he's been in a very long time. A smaller, close circle of friends lends into that preference.

As far as Baka, basically when it comes to Pak's run I'm willing and able to throw anything out for his ideas, lol. He's earned that with me. DC doesn't know great Superman writers when it lands right on their face.
    I just want clark to have more wierd ass friends like him to be around him. I mean, the character that inspired me to create these two threads(superman's world and this one) luffy does. I wanted characters from Clark's publishing history to fill in as support cast. The wierder and diverse the better.

The wierder the better. The list i posted was just a place holder with characters thrown in.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-02-2019 at 01:11 PM.

Astonishing Member

Why bother to build up a retinue of hangers-on, when the whole thing will be re-booted after the new Crisis?

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Why bother to build up a retinue of hangers-on, when the whole thing will be re-booted after the new Crisis?
    True, that has always been superman's problem. But, building a memorable cast essentially means they will have to carry on even if a reboot occurs.

I don't mean literally.

They're royalty insofar as the level of reverence, respect, and expectation given to them by literally everyone around them. In that sense, they may as well be royalty. Each member of the family, in text, hold themselves to extremely high moral standards and a life of very direct public service in whatever form they can. They aren't the Bat Family in that they function as a found family with distinct paramilitary overtones. They aren't the relatively normal "upper middle class" Flash family that come complete with a literal "grandpa Flash". There's an in-universe level of gravitas and regality that's inherent after Clark builds the family via example.

What a lot of people tend to forget is that the idea of Superman is in part that he capital I and S IS a person in a position of great power and inherent privilege --that's always been the point-- but he uses it exclusively for the betterment of those around him. You hear terms like "royalty" or "privilege" and you are understandably trained to assume the worst, but the idea with Superman is that he has all of that, and all he wants to do is make sure those less fortunate than him benefit from it.

Superman is the fairly tale we tell ourselves of what our politicians and people in power or with money are supposed to be like. The fact is that he top to bottom lives up to that, and thus he's freely, and sincerely given the respect and gravitas that all of those awful people in power kill for, and he doesn't even want it, but that makes us admire and love him more.

This is what he's always been, and it's also the concept behind his divide with Lex. I'm not saying anything new.
    Yes, i understand that. i just don't want to be there to be a perception that of clark to be this dynasty that stands over everyone telling them right and wrong. .People love and admiration is one thing. But, that doesn’t make one royalty. Nor do i think clark becoming some cult of personality is good for the people that admire him.

Astonishing Member

True, that has always been superman's problem. But, building a memorable cast essentially means they will have to carry on even if a reboot occurs.
    Other than Lois and Jimmy who has actually survived reboots? Perry, who has largely faded away since 2000? Cat "What's my personality today" Grant? "Peek-a-boo" Pete Ross who makes a cameo in Clark's teen years during a flashback scene?

He had a memorable supporting cast in the Bronze Age, but Crisis removed most of them.
    He had one at the height of the Triangle Era- they left with Jurgens and Simonson.
    Since 2000 no supporting cast member has lasted and half the time Lois was the only person appearing besides Superman in stories. Even Batman had more appearances than the rest of Superman's supporting cast in the Supertitles.

Extraordinary Member

I'd try and keep it as small as possible as well. As far as powered and costumed people are concerned, mine would be the following:

Superman
    Jon Kent
    Conner Kent
    Kara Zor-El
    Steel
    Krypto

That's it. If you want to throw another lady in there, sure, but that's where I'd put the cap at. I mean, I love Mon-El and Power Girl, but they always seemed more connected to the Legion and JSA, respectively.

As far as civilians...

Lois
    Jimmy
    Perry
    Maggie Sawyer
    Dan Turpin

And maybe Cat Grant, Natasha Irons, and Ma Kent.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 11-02-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't mean literally.

All very well said. It's funny because when I thought about the difference between Superman and other franchises, I thought about the literal Uncle Marvel. And a few of the Hulk's illegitimate children, I guess.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Depends. What makes a Superman Family any different from Superman's cast?
    Is Kal-el the last of his kind (Kara and Lor-Zod)? Is Kryptonian DNA compatible with human DNA (Conner and Jon)? Should Superman die in order to inspire others to take up his mantle (John Henry)?
    Last edited by Crabble; 11-02-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Astonishing Member

I'd rather have a large cast that isn't omnipresent and has more regular people (if Lois or Emil Hamilton or Bibbo can be called regular).

A more diverse Planet staff that sticks around past Bendis. Not seen every issue but popping up from time to time.

Actual friends for Clark. Not for Superman, but for Clark. Guys like Pete Ross from his Smallville days, the guy who runs a small store that Clark visits to get some obscure candy/soft drink/whatever, "Bobby Big-Mouth" who is Lois & Clark's pipeline to local crimes, Professor Hamilton/Potter/Pepperwinkle the "mad" scientist, Lois & Clark's neighbors.

Other Metropolis heroes but not ones who Superman teams up with regularly (Guardian, Steel). An occasional JLAer looking for help- with Batman being the only one doing this more than once a year. And then Kal, Kara and Jon as the actual family who interact regularly as the story requires.

Yeah! I just don't view them as royalty. That's making him into an elite that he was never meant to be. Clark's father being a scientist is one thing. But, i hated the whole el family being kryptonIan royalty or noble family thing.As for sheild and wearing as a symbol. Strawhat of luffy has symbolism and a deep meaning. Only luffy, shanks and people who predated him wore it spoilers:
    presumably gol d roger
    end of spoilers. His crew mates don't. 's' can stay where its at.
    I just want rich and diverse view points to the main character.
    Edit-Clark is very similar to luffy. Luffy is a priate. Clark is vigilante. Clark causes chaos on arrival. Luffy does the same.luffy's arrival means progress and transformation and that is supposed to be Clark's function. Heck! Even your royalty thing also fits if 'd' family are indeed kings of the lost kingdom of void century. Superman is part of the 's' family while luffy 'd' family.
    One of the best things MoS did was showing the various Kryptonians wearing their own crests, not just copying Zod's.

Ultimately, it's the crest of the House of El. If you're not part of the house, then why wear it? Supergirl, and Superboy arguably ARE members of the House of El. John Irons? One could argue he's an honorary member.

Thing is... Not all Kryptonian families ARE part of a house at all. The fact that there is a "House of El" means that they're at least aristocracy even if not royalty.

Kal-El survived the destruction of Krypton because his family was influential. His father knew Krypton was doomed because he had access to knowledge that the common man didn't.

Being royalty doesn't mean Superman has to be a jerk. It's the reason he's alive, not the core of who he is.