Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 52 of 52
  1. #46
    Ultimate Member JKtheMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bedford UK
    Posts
    10,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    If that's the case then there shouldn't be continuity, that would solve everything.

    We can have classic heroes with the classic status quo and amazing writers. They could write whatever they want and end it on their own terms and once they do another writer can write their version with the same classic status quo.
    Well that is kind of what we have. Writers can indeed write what they want within a quite broad latitude, and in general the very next writer will tend to do their own thing with variable and often cursory nods to previous continuity. I don’t see why that’s a problem. It has been the same for decades.

    It is notable however how few examples the OP uses before reaching for the Spider-Man marriage. The last thing we need is another thread about that.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-06-2019 at 01:29 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

  2. #47
    Mighty Member Anthony W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,235

    Default

    There it's real change and then there is the illusion of change, Marvel and DC specialize in the latter. Honestly, I don't know what they are expecting. As for why Manga is winning? Maybe because being a hotshot star in that world is a reward unto itself, as opposed to the lowest rung on the ladder/backdoor-into-the-entertainment-industry-by-putting-out-a-comic-that-looks-like-storyboards-for-a-boring-show-that-will-never-get-made-and-if-it-does-it-is canned-in-one-season-or-lost-in-development-hades.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 11-06-2019 at 07:24 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

  3. #48
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    There it's real change and then there is the illusion of change, Marvel and DC specialize in the latter. Honestly, I don't know what they are expecting. As for why Manga is winning? Maybe because being a hotshot star in that world is a reward unto itself, as opposed to the lowest rung on the ladder/backdoor-into-the-entertainment-industry-by-putting-out-a-comic-that-looks-like-storyboards-for-a-boring-show-that-will-never-get-made-and-if-it-does-it-is canned-in-one-season-or-lost-in-development-hades.
    Writers aren't the only ones that love the illusion of change; fans love it to.
    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Every fandom has their own comfort zone. Look at Dragon Ball.

    It’s more or less been settled that most fans prefer Z over all other iterations of DB. That’s why Super is a direct continuation of the period after Buu was defeated but before Uub actually shows up.

    Most fans don’t even care that Super greatly contradicts canon because it takes place in their favorite time period.

    It’s also why Future Trunks still exists despite there being a Present Day Trunks.


    I could go on and on, but the point is, it’s not exclusive to western based comics.

  4. #49
    Extraordinary Member jackolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    If that's the case then there shouldn't be continuity, that would solve everything.

    We can have classic heroes with the classic status quo and amazing writers. They could write whatever they want and end it on their own terms and once they do another writer can write their version with the same classic status quo.
    I suppose they could relegate OMD to an Alternate Universe, much like J.J.Abrams’ Spider-Man. Same with Initiative, Bucky or Sam as Cap, and Jane as Thor. But then you have to wonder how long these stories can last if the status quo heroes are still there in the 616? The MC2 Spider girl only lasted a certain time and then she lost her book. And then you have to wonder how do you do the transition from married Spider-Man to BND and run them side by side? Do you do BND for a few issues, then quickly release more married Peter and MJ stories, and say, “That was a strange dream?”, then let the dream BND stuff still come out?

  5. #50
    Mighty Member dkrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well that is kind of what we have. Writers can indeed write what they want within a quite broad latitude, and in general the very next writer will tend to do their own thing with variable and often cursory nods to previous continuity. I don’t see why that’s a problem. It has been the same for decades.

    It is notable however how few examples the OP uses before reaching for the Spider-Man marriage. The last thing we need is another thread about that.
    This mentality is what's killing books to a certain degree. How many times are you going to shuffle around the same Wolverine, or Captain America fighting the same villains. Even if you consider what's been done with Batman at DC where they mixing in interdimensional villains and characters. Yeah it can work, but now he's taking over other themes and genres that many other characters occupy. All just to keep Bruce Wayne/Batman relevant???? Dammit just let writers and creators make new, or use other characters in the catalogue.

  6. #51
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    This mentality is what's killing books to a certain degree. How many times are you going to shuffle around the same Wolverine, or Captain America fighting the same villains. Even if you consider what's been done with Batman at DC where they mixing in interdimensional villains and characters. Yeah it can work, but now he's taking over other themes and genres that many other characters occupy. All just to keep Bruce Wayne/Batman relevant???? Dammit just let writers and creators make new, or use other characters in the catalogue.
    Fandoms are tsundere. It’s a bad habit.

  7. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well that is kind of what we have. Writers can indeed write what they want within a quite broad latitude, and in general the very next writer will tend to do their own thing with variable and often cursory nods to previous continuity. I don’t see why that’s a problem. It has been the same for decades.

    It is notable however how few examples the OP uses before reaching for the Spider-Man marriage. The last thing we need is another thread about that.
    Up until they have to be part of continuity because of some event or editorial mandate.

    Think about how JMS left Thor because of this or when J. H. Williams III left Batwoman because heroes can't be married or when Morrison couldn't use Stephanie brown or when Marvel brought back Magneto and so on and so forth.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •