Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The "status quo" is a sticky subject. There's a lot variables to consider when talking about changes to the status quo, but I'd just rather not get into it. However, I still don't know why Joe Quesada was so hellbent (pun intended) on getting rid of Peter Parker's marriage. The marriage didn't really change who Spider-Man was deep down, and it was a chance to create even better Spider-Man stories. Best of all, it made sense for his character. It's a shame we're stuck with the version we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    The "status quo" is a sticky subject. There's a lot variables to consider when talking about changes to the status quo, but I'd just rather not get into it. However, I still don't know why Joe Quesada was so hellbent (pun intended) on getting rid of Peter Parker's marriage. The marriage didn't really change who Spider-Man was deep down, and it was a chance to create even better Spider-Man stories. Best of all, it made sense for his character. It's a shame we're stuck with the version we have now.
    I think those in favor simply had a different idea of what Spider-Man should be then those not in favor.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

iMan 42s

Welcome Superior Spider-man! Welcome to the graveyard of good ideas gone too soon. You can join your pals like Infamous Iron man, Life Bringer Galactus, Scarlet Spider and his unique power-set.

Ironically things like Pymtron remain despite nobody having a god damn idea what his deal is.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Welcome Superior Spider-man! Welcome to the graveyard of good ideas gone too soon.
    Except it was neither of those things, in fact it was quite the opposite a bad idea that stuck for too long.

Astonishing Member

Welcome Superior Spider-man! Welcome to the graveyard of good ideas gone too soon. You can join your pals like Infamous Iron man, Life Bringer Galactus, Scarlet Spider and his unique power-set.

Ironically things like Pymtron remain despite nobody having a god damn idea what his deal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    Except it was neither of those things, in fact it was quite the opposite a bad idea that stuck for too long.
    Or it was an idea that some people liked but others disliked. Personally I enjoy stories like Superior Spider-Man and Infamous Iron Man, but have no problem with the characters going back to their villainous roots.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

This is why I enjoy comics about smaller characters or mini series, because they take more risks with them. Otherwise they are too worried about losing readers for popular characters.
    Baby Thanos

iMan 42s

And what would you have suggested in a situation where fans of Superior could've had him still around and for those who didn't like it get Doctor Octopus back? We had clones and god damn Mephisto. You had more than enough narrative wiggle room to have both.

But then again some people are still saltier than Crait over Amazing Spider-man 700.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    I would understand it if at least it worked. But with a number of readers that diminishes all the time, even with the MCU out there, I'm surprised that Marvel is still publishing comics. How long before some executive decides that, with all the films, TV series, videogames and stuff, comic books are no longer worth the effort of publishing and that they should simply drop it?
    Comics aren't going to stop being published any time soon because they still serve a purpose despite not selling as much as they once did.

Ultimately the comics are IP factories for the various other Marvel media (video games, films, television, merchandise, ect).
    Even if they stopped making print floppies I still think they would be making comics to read online.

BANNED

And what would you have suggested in a situation where fans of Superior could've had him still around and for those who didn't like it get Doctor Octopus back?
    I'd say tough s*** for the people who wanted Doc Ock to be another lame Spider-Man ripoff.
    None of this "keep both around" crap Superior was nothing but a massively dumb idea that needed to go away entirely.
    Hell if I had written it I'd bring the Real Doc Ock back, remind everyone how "Elliot" was just a copy and end it with Ock snapping his copy's neck proudly cementing his return back as Doc Ock and the end "superior" Spider-Man

iMan 42s

I'd say tough s*** for the people who wanted Doc Ock to be another lame Spider-Man ripoff.
    None of this "keep both around" crap Superior was nothing but a massively dumb idea that needed to go away entirely.
    Hell if I had written it I'd bring the Real Doc Ock back, remind everyone how "Elliot" was just a copy and end it with Ock snapping his copy's neck proudly cementing his return back as Doc Ock and the end "superior" Spider-Man
    And what exactly is the benefit of doing that? That's a franchise you've just kneecapped for no reason other than you didn't like Superior. A book which I'm almost certain you didn't read anyways. So if put in a position for both parties to get what they want, you'd rather burn it all down for a subjective bias?

BANNED

Define "kneecapped" Superior brought nothing new to the table, Venom already did the evil Spider-Man thing and reformed villain/anti-hero Spider-Man thing, Kraven already did the better than Spider-Man thing, there's no new ground being covered here.
    It didn't help the franchise, it just serves as another example of the Spider-Man name being watered down, so yes if put a position where I can either bring Doc Ock back and get rid of this superior nonsense I'll do it

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I hate when they try to make villains anti heroes. It almost never works. Seeing them treat Doom like a member of the family after decades of him trying to kill them all is just beyond stupid to me. It is the same when the X-Men writers try over an over again to make Mystique and Sabertooth "grey" characters. They aren't and neither is Doom. They are evil, and it just makes the heroes look stupid when they all of a sudden just forgive them and are all buddy buddy. As a readers we all know this is never going last, but most modern writers these days just don't want to have just bad guys anymore. Everyone has to be grey.

iMan 42s

Define "kneecapped" Superior brought nothing new to the table, Venom already did the evil Spider-Man thing and reformed villain/anti-hero Spider-Man thing, Kraven already did the better than Spider-Man thing, there's no new ground being covered here.
    It didn't help the franchise, it just serves as another example of the Spider-Man name being watered down, so yes if put a position where I can either bring Doc Ock back and get rid of this superior nonsense I'll do it
    It means you're willing to cut off a franchise before it can fully demonstrate its potential.

-So did Scarlet Spider and both of them stuck around. Why is Otto any different?
    -Kraven doing it was much smaller in scope and never intended to be a lasting character change. Y'know cause he died at the end of KLH. There was no way it could've been retained or altered one way or the other since he was dead until he got pointlessly resurrected assuming people wanted to use him and he's farted around the MU with no real purpose since. Also kneecapping Kraven's Last Hunt I might add since not only was he back but nothing he ever showed up in since lived up to the former anyways.

And on the note of watering down the franchise, a dozen or so Spider-man books have came and went along since Superior happened; The Amazing Mary Jane, Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen, Venom, Absolute Carnage, The JJ Abrams book, the upcoming Daily Bugle book, one shots like Red Goblin, Spiderverse, Edge of Spidergeddon, Scarlet Spider, Symbiote Spider-man, or Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man.

But somehow, it's Otto's title of all things that water down the Spider-man brand. Otto was the thing that broke the camel's back. Not everything else that came out after or as Superior was being written.

BANNED

Superior had no potential.
    It was crap when it started and it was crap when it ended, the fact Kraven wasn't supposed to be Spider-Man for a lasting time is just another example of him doing it better
    And nice that you put words in my mouth because I said Superior is ANOTHER example of the Spider-Man name being watered down, not the only one the rest needs to be trimmed too but at least some of that are just one shots and limited series.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post

Old man logan and female wolverine--Nope bring the old one back.
    Nope not me. Saying this as a liberally minded individual, I think what the comic book industry misses (Particularly some writers and most certainly the editors in charge) is that comics are a culturally conservative hobby by nature. By that I simply mean that you fall in love with a character when your young, and your resistant to any change for that is the hero that makes you put the $$$ down to buy a comic either physically or digitally.

I did not buy Wolverine when they replaced Logan, nor Thor or Hawkeye, (nothing against the new characters, but their not the ones I love) and I am currently reading more Marvel now than DC because they've returned to the status quo, while DC appears to be headed in the opposite direction. The best way to deal with a comic book titles sales slump is to give the title a rest until popular demand, demands its return, changing the status quo with replacement heroes generally doesn't sell, and alienates its readership.