Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Every fandom has their own comfort zone. Look at Dragon Ball.

It’s more or less been settled that most fans prefer Z over all other iterations of DB. That’s why Super is a direct continuation of the period after Buu was defeated but before Uub actually shows up.

Most fans don’t even care that Super greatly contradicts canon because it takes place in their favorite time period.

It’s also why Future Trunks still exists despite there being a Present Day Trunks.

I could go on and on, but the point is, it’s not exclusive to western based comics.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Some characters that started out as villains turned heroes and stayed good. Rogue is still hero.

Magneto and Emma Frost are more grey anti-heroes at the moment. I wouldn't say either of them are full on villains right now.

Marvel is afraid to let Spider-Man grow up because they feel some younger fans will find him unrelatable despite the fact he spent more time in the comics as a twenty something than a teenager and you have younger characters like Miles Morales to fill the teen Spidey void.

Wolverine is one of Marvel's biggest IP's so don't expect too much change. Any major character that makes Marvel a ton of money probably isn't going to get much radical change.

I would understand it if at least it worked. But with a number of readers that diminishes all the time, even with the MCU out there, I'm surprised that Marvel is still publishing comics. How long before some executive decides that, with all the films, TV series, videogames and stuff, comic books are no longer worth the effort of publishing and that they should simply drop it?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    I would understand it if at least it worked. But with a number of readers that diminishes all the time, even with the MCU out there, I'm surprised that Marvel is still publishing comics. How long before some executive decides that, with all the films, TV series, videogames and stuff, comic books are no longer worth the effort of publishing and that they should simply drop it?
    Every year, fans wonder when publishers will just stop bothering and call it a day. This has been going on for literally decades - long before most posters on these boards were even born. And yet, somehow, the comic industry persists. Who knows what the future holds but I suspect that comics will continue to be with us for a while to come.

As for the "status quo," that's just how it is with Marvel and DC and these kinds of intellectual properties in general. I'm of the belief that these characters are meant to be, and should always stay, "evergreen." They shouldn't grow old with the audience that started reading them in the first place but should always remain in the ballpark of the iconic image that they're known for. You can shake things up from time to time but there must always be a way to return to that classic version. The analogy has often been made that writers can play with the toys but, when they're done, they have to put them back on the shelf the way they found them and I think that's the approach that works best.

If it relied on comic books alone, Marvel Comics would have had to close more than 2 decades ago. Then the films gave them some breating air. But now that the MCU thrives on its own, it does not really need the comics anymore.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

It just goes to show Marvel readers are neophobic and cynical because nostalgia outweighs creativity. It's not art. It's a business. Sales are gallup polls.

[...] But now that the MCU thrives on its own, it does not really need the comics anymore.
    The comics use the movies for reference and have become a promotional pamphlets.

Not even that is needed. Remember those longs months when we had absolutely no trailers or promotional materials for the sequel of "Infinity War"? (not even the name). The internet was raging with fan theories. Nobody can buy that much FREE publicity.

BANNED

If it relied on comic books alone, Marvel Comics would have had to close more than 2 decades ago. Then the films gave them some breating air. But now that the MCU thrives on its own, it does not really need the comics anymore.
    If either DC or Marvel had to rely on comics alone, both would probably either be out of business or radically change their business model. Probably the latter.

After all, if Boom! and Image and Dark Horse and IDW can survive without a fraction of the revenue that the Big Two pull in, Marvel and DC could surely do the same if they had to.

I think many fans give the movies too much credit for the survival of the publishing division. Publishing pays its own way, albeit with a hand from merchandising and licensing.

And I think many fans, oddly, sell the importance of the comics short. Back in the '70s, the Powers That Be floated the idea of DC Comics becoming strictly reprint only. Jenette Kahn argued against that, believing that not having new product from publishing and relying solely on movies, TV shows and cartoons to be the only new product featuring their characters would damage all their IP's and gradually dim their appeal, or words to that effect, and I think she was right and that point still applies.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    If either DC or Marvel had to rely on comics alone, both would probably either be out of business or radically change their business model...And I think many fans, oddly, sell the importance of the comics short. Back in the '70s, the Powers That Be floated the idea of DC Comics becoming strictly reprint only. Jenette Kahn argued against that, believing that not having new product from publishing and relying solely on movies, TV shows and cartoons to be the only new product featuring their characters would damage all their IP's and gradually dim their appeal, or words to that effect, and I think she was right and that point still applies.
    Prof. Warren makes some good points. It would not, however, surprise me to see a day where one or both of The Big Two decide to get out of managing all aspects of comics publishing, and outsource the content creation to other parties, while keeping only the final proofing and distribution to themselves.

Getting rid of "superior" octopus is for the best.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    If either DC or Marvel had to rely on comics alone, both would probably either be out of business or radically change their business model. Probably the latter.

After all, if Boom! and Image and Dark Horse and IDW can survive without a fraction of the revenue that the Big Two pull in, Marvel and DC could surely do the same if they had to.

I think many fans give the movies too much credit for the survival of the publishing division. Publishing pays its own way, albeit with a hand from merchandising and licensing.

And I think many fans, oddly, sell the importance of the comics short. Back in the '70s, the Powers That Be floated the idea of DC Comics becoming strictly reprint only. Jenette Kahn argued against that, believing that not having new product from publishing and relying solely on movies, TV shows and cartoons to be the only new product featuring their characters would damage all their IP's and gradually dim their appeal, or words to that effect, and I think she was right and that point still applies.
    Yep. Also, while they do not make as much money as the movies, the comics still turn a nice profit.

Comics don't make any money, y'see. That's why they have cancellations and marketing and Bozos-owned online storefronts.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Getting rid of "superior" octopus is for the best.
    Do you really want to start this?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Do you really want to start this?
    LOL, do not go into the Spidey forums

Incredible Member

I wish they'd explore the idea of the sandman being morally ambiguous, rather then good or bad. Just A blue collar guy doing what he can to survive...