Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Decision

Exclamation My Decision

I've decided to leave the Spider-Man Fandom. After the lackluster ending of Superior (along with the terrible mess which was Ben Reilly's return which ultimately ended in a reset) I can't wast any more of my time on characters who never progress or change. Spider-Man has given me decades of enjoyment but there is no point in revisiting the same tired old stories and tropes forever. I'll watch the movies, enjoy the video games but I'm done with the comics. I'll dip in every now and then to see where Kindred goes but otherwise I'm taking a break until further notice.

Farewell, everyone and thanks for everything. Posting here and meeting all of you has been a blast.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-03-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Godspeed, soldier.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Sorry to see you go, Celgress.

But thanks for responding to a few of my posts, and for providing excellent reading material whenever I visited your Spider-Man forum.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 11-14-2019 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Made an addition.

Celgress, you're breaking my heart! But I understand
    Hell, in a couple of months, I may join you. I wish you the best.

BANNED

I don't know your age, Celgress, but I think pretty much every longtime fan walks away from Marvel and DC at one point or another. I sat out almost the entirety of the '90s, myself. I became disenchanted and bored, for many of the same reasons you cite.

In time, I was drawn back in and had adopted a different, much more sage, outlook on continuity in comics and the adherence to the status quo.

Rather than being frustrated by the lack of progress, I became attracted to the unique creative challenges that serialized storytelling in mainstream superhero comics presents in moving things forward but also maintaining a forever "now."

I only mention my own experiences to say that it's totally normal - and probably healthy - for fans to reach a point where they need to take a long break and sometimes that time away brings a different perspective when (or if) you come back to comics down the line.

Don't worry, friend! If you feel like you're missing out on the Spencer run, just read all the old stories it remixes instead!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Break the Matrix. Start writing your own Spider-Man stories and you'll probably never miss Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Break the Matrix. Start writing your own Spider-Man stories and you'll probably never miss Marvel.
    Way ahead of you, friend -

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5362168/

Thanks, everyone, I'll still be around. I plan to follow Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales Spider-Man (he's become his own thing in recent years and has had kick-ass story progression), Batman (for the most part), Superman, Wonder Woman, exact but not anything directly associated with 616 Peter Parker. I won't post here much if at all as I'm a firm believer if you don't buy a product you shouldn't review it (especially in a negative fashion).

Mighty Member

I stepped away from Spider-man for a LONG time (ASM 411 to Big Time), and I have to say, it's easy to get back into whenever the urge overcomes you (if it does). There's a lot of fun in re-discovery, and not a lot of burn out on dumb stories if you have a good resource for getting back. Have fun with the other characters, and we'll see you back here some day
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

I hear ya.
    Your voice will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Spider View Post
    I hear ya.
    Your voice will be missed.
    Thanks, the way I see it Batman & Superman (as bad as they can be at times) are at least trying new things the same goes for Miles & Immortal Hulk (oh, and Venom, of course). They haven't atrophied like 616 Peter & co. have (where nothing new is allowed, at least for more than a hot minute). At this stage in my fandom experience, I need something different not the same old same old. I can't become excited by the stories I've read a million times, no matter how good they may be.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-03-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Way ahead of you, friend -

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5362168/

Thanks, everyone, I'll still be around. I plan to follow Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales Spider-Man (he's become his own thing in recent years and has had kick-ass story progression), Batman (for the most part), Superman, Wonder Woman, exact but not anything directly associated with 616 Peter Parker. I won't post here much if at all as I'm a firm believer if you don't buy a product you shouldn't review it (especially in a negative fashion).
    PRetty cool! Will read when I have time

probably keep you happier than reading books you don't enjoy
    troo fan or death

BANNED

I walked away from Spider-Man/Marvel and superhero comics after OMD and I read non-superhero and indie stuff, i.e. that was when I discovered Alan Moore, Gaiman, Eisner, Barks, and all the other masters. I DID follow Ultimate Spider-Man though in that time, and I was there at Ground Zero when Ultimate Fallout came and Miles Morales made his debut. And of course I dipped in when I heard about Dying Wish (with that big spoiler leak) and the early issues of Superior which I dropped.

I actually didn't get back into proper Spider-Man until the PS4 game that came out last year. Take a look at my join date and you will see I haven't been here for a year and it's also a good approximation of the time after I got back into comics.

In my case, my anger about OMD and issues about that remained as fresh as ever. In some sense it's energizing to realize that age hasn't dulled me a bit.

BANNED

I like your decision. It's best to step away when things are not going according to your liking and reassess.