Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

It depends on the week. One week I’m absolutely loving Event Leviathan. The next I’m cursing the fact that the Rogol Zar storyline was dragged out so damn long only to have a crappy explanation. The following week I’m loving everything about Naomi. Then the redesigned Legion of Superheroes are introduced

Overall it’s been more positive than negative. I think he has a great voice for Superman. Brave but not over confident, smart and funny but not quippy.
    Last edited by Robotman; 11-04-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    People don't want him to be the leading character of LOSH. That'd be like Superman taking on the role of Batman and that being a good thing because Batman sells better.

But Clark used to hang out with LOSH. Now the baton has been passed to his son. I thought this could be seen as a family tradition of something?

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    But Clark used to hang out with LOSH. Now the baton has been passed to his son. I thought this could be seen as a family tradition of something?
    Jon being a member of the Legion isn't necessarily a bad idea (though I'd still rather see him become a Teen Titan). And it could have been a nice little baton passing moment between him and his dad. The problem is that, like I said before, Bendis is an idea guy but he's VERY rarely an execution guy. He'll have ideas that sound good on paper and then the way he goes about doing them are completely asinine. And that pretty much sums up everything he's done to Jon over the past year and a half. Asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    Except in this new continuity, Superman has never hung out with the LOSH, so there's no family tradition to speak of.

I like his work. He's fun.

Event Leviathan, AC, Naomi, LoSH and YJ have been great.

- Event Leviathan: Two words: Alex Maleev. Plus Lois Lane (the character) has been great with Bendis and Rucka and the Leviathan is a great Viillain.
    - Action Comics: Much better than Superman. Grounded but fun. Love the invisible mafia.
    - Naomi: Great story, great art. We may be looking at Dc's answer to Kamala Khan.
    - LoSH: Only the Millenium issues have been out, but I like how this looks already. I like his obsession with Rose and Thorne and how she may play a huge role in the series.
    - YJ: Awesome, but a little slow. Love Amy. My only complaint is that i never liked the teenage Conner look. I like the black t-shirt and jeans much better.

Supes is Ok. I'd rate it 5/10. I didn't really like the Rogol Zaar thing, Jon's aging, but it had Ivan Reis and some nice moments.
    I haven't read his Jinx stuff, but Scarlet wasn't awesome as the first volume (it was good tho)
    I did not like Batman Universe. THAT he should do with Alex Maleev.

Overall he's done a better work with DC than his las few years with Marvel (X-men, GotG, Iron Man, Civil War, Defenders were all meh).
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Except in this new continuity, Superman has never hung out with the LOSH, so there's no family tradition to speak of.
    I thought everything counted now?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I thought everything counted now?
    No, bendis decided he didn't want it. Basically, in doomsday clock Clark's legion got thanos snapped. Clark doesn't remember them due to manhattan . Poor saturn girl!
    The one in superman and legion of superheroes are new version. It's Jon's legion.

I would’ve never touched a Superman comic in the past. I loved Man of Steel but never got into the comics. I’ve been a big fan of Bendis for years. His Daredevil got me hooked on comics. I’d read the guy’s grocery list! Now, I actually look forward to Superman & Legion of Superman Heroes. Would’ve never imagined!!! My exposure to the Legion is extremely limited. I’ve seen a few 70’s issues that belong to a friend of mine. They were horrible! Now he’s making making these characters interesting. I’m actually checking out more DC books now. Bendis just rarely disappoints me.
    Last edited by Stick Figure; 11-05-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Incredible Member

Default Bendis

So how are people liking Bendis in the DCU? His sales are not very good so he doesn’t appear to be selling well. I enjoyed his Ultimate Spider-Man and New Avengers but haven’t cared for much else he’s done. I think he doesn’t seem to understand any of the characters he’s writing at DC and the fact that he also writes everyone the exact same way doesn’t help. I’m honestly dumbfounded that he’s been given so much free reign with his low sales and lack of understanding. I what he’s done with Superman and his family. His Young Justice seems pointless and LOSH was just plain bad. That’s just me though. What are others thoughts?

Astonishing Member

I'm enjoying his Young Justice.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

His Marvel work in the last decade has left me no impact but his current DC work, man do I love it.

The interconnectivity of his books, the chances he takes and the lore he dugs up. So many good books because he is in DC. Jimmy, Lois, Wonder Twins and Naomi. Superman books are fresh as hell, the ending to Leviathan makes me excited for Action Comics. He has very good ideas and he expands Superman's world, he adds new elements, plays with old ones in a way they haven't been played. His narrative has gravitas, you feel the risk of the unknown, something the Superman books needed bcause they had been stale for a good while. Even the old ideas he uses, like truth and new krypton, he brings them with a better, more focused spin....well with truth it wasn't that hard, man that new 52 arc sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    So how are people liking Bendis in the DCU? His sales are not very good so he doesn’t appear to be selling well. I enjoyed his Ultimate Spider-Man and New Avengers but haven’t cared for much else he’s done. I think he doesn’t seem to understand any of the characters he’s writing at DC and the fact that he also writes everyone the exact same way doesn’t help. I’m honestly dumbfounded that he’s been given so much free reign with his low sales and lack of understanding. I what he’s done with Superman and his family. His Young Justice seems pointless and LOSH was just plain bad. That’s just me though. What are others thoughts?
    I'm not.

I had never read his work before he came to DC and gave him a chance. And boy did I get burned.

Literally enjoying none of his DC books.

- He doesn't understand many DC characters.
    - He sh@ts all over Superman period of Tomasi/Jurgens.
    - Jon Kent plotline is ludicrous.
    - Jon Kent has changed into an obnoxious dude.
    - Event Leviathan was pointless.
    - His dialogue makes no sense at times, whether it's IC or OOC (more often OOC than IC though)
    I could go on and on but you get the point. I want him to leave DC to be honest.

I'm enjoying what I'm seeing so far.

His Action Comics has been way better than his Superman but he's got a handle on Clark's character I rarely see out of modern writers. Seriously, most of the time I see people complain about how he writes Clark, its just a matter of that poster not actually understanding who Clark is (they only seem to get a small slice of his personality, not the whole thing). And Bendis is trying to build up the mythos and add something to the Super-lore rather than deconstruct everything like 90% of writers these days do, which I greatly appreciate. The United Planets being formed, the whole upcoming Earth President thing, the renewed focus on Metropolis and the supporting cast.....I'm really enjoying Bendis' run, even though a few of his choices (everything with Clark's ties to the Legion) have really pissed me off.

His Young Justice is pretty good too. The first few issues in Gemworld were not anything to write home about, but the "lost in the multiverse" issues have been utterly fantastic. That first issue with the multiverse stuff (#7?) might be my favorite single issue of 2019.

Naomi is just incredible. Probably one of my favorite runs/series of 2019 and definitely the big break-out star of the year. Really well handled, I cannot recommend that book enough.

And I haven't read the last issue of Event Leviathan yet (though I've heard who Leviathan is) and I'm mostly reserving judgement there until I can sit down and read #6. Not sure how I feel about all of that. I'll say no more until we've all had a chance to read it and process it. I will say that Bendis cannot write Damian Wayne to save his life.

So as far as Im concerned Bendis is on a creative high I haven't seen from him since his days on Ultimate Spidey and Daredevil.

Of course, we'll see what this whole 5G nonsense is. By this time next year I might not be reading any DC at all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Allow me to introduce you to a four page thread about this.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans