Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

He’s been ok. I haven’t liked everything, but there has been stuff I have.

I still don't understand it, how can DC be so stupid.

Incredible Member

I love his YOUNG JUSTICE nad have been pleasantly surprised what a good grasp of those characters he has (yes, I am serious and I'm sure the Superboy fans will be all over me for expressing that opinion soon enough) andI really enjoy his ACTION COMICS.

I haven't read much of his SUPERMAN but he does seem to have a new lease on life after leaving Marvel IMHO.

He's written some good comics, a long time ago, but in terms of his work for DC, I Don't Like Him. Nothing against the guy personally of course. I'm sure he's not a bad person and I'm sure he's not even a bad writer, he's just producing content I don't like, and that I wish DC would stop publishing.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Fantastic Member

I like a lot of Bendis's past works his Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-Man run are some of the things that made me a life long fans of those characters. However, while I think he has great ideas they are not executed in the best way. For instance, he is writing Young Justice and Legion of Superheroes both featuring a Superboy. Instead of using Conner if wanted to use a teenage Superboy in Legion he ages Jon Kent up. Not only making this relatively new character's history complicated especially if you just came off of Tomasi's Superman where he was a 10-year-old boy and his team-up book with Robin in Supersons. Not to mention Bendis clearly has not read previous runs of Action Comics or Superman based on his writing. I give Bendis a lot of passes in his writing before but I felt like his run on a lot of these characters has not only ruined Tomasi successful Superman run but also made characters like Conner who just got brought back redundant.

Is Jon Kent being apart of the Legion of Superheroes a good idea. Yes, do you need readers and his parents missing 8 years of his life to do that, I really don't think so. I feel like Bendis and the heads of DC really don't know why readers value young characters in comics so much. Its because we like seeing them grow up and develop as people. If readers don't get to see the journey then why bother?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Allow me to introduce you to a four page thread about this.
    Your contribution is noted.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    I love his YOUNG JUSTICE nad have been pleasantly surprised what a good grasp of those characters he has (yes, I am serious and I'm sure the Superboy fans will be all over me for expressing that opinion soon enough) andI really enjoy his ACTION COMICS.

I haven't read much of his SUPERMAN but he does seem to have a new lease on life after leaving Marvel IMHO.
    He hasn't really done anything with the actual characters in Young Justice though. For as many issues as it has, nothing has really happened other than the characters, or some version of them, have returned.

I loved his LoSH, so, you know, tastes and all that ? I also think that his Superman and Action Comics are vastly superior to what they were during Rebirth - especially Action. Naomi has been stellar from the start and I can't wait to see her elsewhere, beyond Bendis' books. Young Justice is serviceable, since I don't really care much for any of the old characters and the new ones are a bit crowded here.

Started off as a fan, thought he was doing some interesting things, not trending in the stuff that got him in hot water with the fans at Marvel from what I had learned about that time second-hand (not a Marvel reader). Then...he did, really bad. He's basically turning DC into Marvel of the last decade and it seems like DC fans are going to be in for a rough ride. I got out before the **** really hits the fan with 5G, but I still keep up and everything I've been seeing over the past month or so is reinforcing that decision.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-13-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    He hasn't really done anything with the actual characters in Young Justice though. For as many issues as it has, nothing has really happened other than the characters, or some version of them, have returned.
    Probably doesn't want to step on other writers' toes. Last thing he needs is Flash contradicting something related to Impulse, or Wonder Woman getting retconned in a way that nullifies Cassie's backstory.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

....Well y'all already know how I feel. But other comics put me in a good mood today (and we already have several threads where I lay into him) so I'll say something nice about Bendis for once:

Even if I'm starting to lose interest, and the non founding members are duller than a pile of grass, the fact that he brought Young Justice back at all is commendable.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Probably doesn't want to step on other writers' toes. Last thing he needs is Flash contradicting something related to Impulse, or Wonder Woman getting retconned in a way that nullifies Cassie's backstory.
    I'm sure he's had his hands tied to one degree or another.

There were (and maybe still are?) plans for Tim involving Dr. Manhattan and the DCU's missing time. Bendis can't screw with that stuff because it's not his story. Conner didn't even exist in current continuity and Bendis' main goal there had to be explaining where he's been and why no one remembers him, and that had to be "Conner priority #1."

Bart and Cassie....I'm not sure if Bendis has had to contend with stuff from the Flash and Wonder books, especially since Cassie, I believe, hasn't been part of Diana's editorial group for a long time (I know that's the case with Donna but not 100% about Cassie). But Bendis does have some subplots with Cass in the pipe, we just haven't gotten to them yet.

I mean, I want to get right into it with all these characters too. I've missed this team so much! But there's a big roster and everyone needs some spotlight time and there's been problems even getting them onto the page (the continuity stuff), so.....I'm willing to give Bendis some time here, yknow?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I think he has been a complete disappointment. Approaching maybe it being a disaster given how much responsibility and pull DC gave him in the direction their universe takes. His Action and Leviathan story turned into such a joke that I don't understand how people can defending spending money on that mini only to have to spend even more money on another mini to continue it.

I have liked some of his work, but others. I liked what he has did with Young Justice and Naomi. In Superman his work on Action is better than his work on the Superman title. What he did to the Legion.... Not for me.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I genuinely think it speaks well of Bendis that he is this polarizing. I don't love everything he does (though I do quite a bit of it) but I admire both his willingness to take risks and that his writing has such a unique voice - and I don't just mean the "Bendis-speak". I also don't think you can overstate just how huge an impact he had on superhero comics, particularly in the first decade of the century, both good and bad.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.