Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default DC fans, how do you feel about Brian Bendis?

Focusing on his DC work (though feel free to bring up his other stuff, as well as his writing in general), how do you feel towards Brian Michael Bendis' writing and direction he's been going in for the DCU?

I've been very pleasantly surprised. Event Leviathan, the Action Comics leading up to it, and Batman Universe were all solid.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Before he came on, I had never read his stuff, and heard both good and bad things.

After he came on, the only positive I can say is that he gets good artists. I have NOT liked anything of his, and this 5G stuff seems to be the icing on the cake of getting me to drop DC comics.

BANNED

I'm generally not a fan of his work.

I appreciate his interest in diversity, but I don't think he always approaches it the right way. Nowadays, there are some methods that I'm usually firmly against, such as creating diverse characters to fill the roles of white ones, and racebending. He's guilty of both. Neither does favors to anyone, but some people just can't see that because they believe diversity is great any way you get it. I don't believe it. I think there are graceful ways it can be done that are beneficial with a long game view that don't disrupt existing fanbases. However, it typically takes more effort and creativity to do them. The "black man in a white man's suit" and racebending approaches are quick, easy, lazy, often destructive ways of doing things...kinda' like the dark side of the Force.

Incredible Member

He brought YJ back and that's his greatest achievement so far. Its great though, I'm happy he did it.

I think he is over rated at this point and will be one of the primary reasons DC will fall/fail in the up-coming years.

I also think he is taking the current political climate to his advantage and does not really care about what he professes to.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

His Superman is one of the dumbest comics I’ve ever read

I like his work but I don't think it's worth getting month to month.

I like his work overall.
    Now that I just buy collected
    Editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I')such as creating diverse characters to fill the roles of white ones, and racebending. He's guilty of both. Neither does favors to anyone,.

I've heard some poc call this "tokenism" and characterize it as insulting.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

To me this is very bait-y, considering it should and is well known that Bendis is a controversial figure, to the point that he has a hatedom, that he's blamed for everything that happens... And tbh this question has already been answered, through the multiple times that Marvel and DC fans continuously bring up his name so they can insult and/or put blame on him for something that's he's not associated with.

As for the actual question, I like him and his writing, his comics can be dialogue heavy but he's a talker himself so it make sense. His writing style along with how he paces is very similar to how a mangaka would structure a manga so as a manga lover, it's easy to deal with. His characters tend to be used frequently and even when they aren't they're not shelved completely so they're easy to invest in and he brings the best artists on his books, so that's a worry I don't have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I've heard some poc call this "tokenism" and characterize it as insulting.
    Then those poc don't even know what tokenism is which is sad b/c they should.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I've got no issues with the guy.
    I think he's a very talented writer.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I haven't liked anything of his since his first major run of Daredevil. It's almost as if his writing has degraded over time.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 11-03-2019 at 10:45 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Not crazy about BENDISPEAK™ or his take on Krypton.

Loving his characterizations and other status quo decisions.

Naomi is a great character!
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

He might be a catalyst for jon kent getting erased.he is good at world building ideas.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-03-2019 at 10:43 PM.