Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

He's fine to me. His Batman Giant series is good. He expanded the Superman family by reviving Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen's books. He also brought back teams that no one in DC seems to care at this time.
    But I don't like Naomi. She feels like a copycat of Clark Kent to me. Just like how Bendis copied Peter Parker's origin when he created Miles Morales. And Teen Lantern is just a hideous idea.

Mighty Member

This is definitely a bait thread. But i never had any problems with him. He's one of my top five favorite comic writers of all time and i enjoy how he's bringing something fresh into the Superman line. Period.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The first words that came to mind are "unnecessary changes" which is not about writing style or quality and more about decisions.

I'm... super not interested in yet another take of something behind Krypton's destruction, I have no idea what's the point of aging Jon up instead of going with natural aging when business-wise comics usually want to keep status quo as long as possible for it to stick and recognizable to as many people or generations as possible.

I have absolutely no interest in Naomi, which if it's created by any other writer it probably won't pass the pitch because why would a long-running company promote and star a character they never heard about whose premise is a mystery on who she is, instead of going for a more well-known character who already has a fanbase... the book could be good, the character can be interesting, I don't know, I just abhor the blatant writer favoritism.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I have absolutely no interest in Naomi, which if it's created by any other writer it probably won't pass the pitch because why would a long-running company promote and star a character they never heard about whose premise is a mystery on who she is, instead of going for a more well-known character who already has a fanbase... the book could be good, the character can be interesting, I don't know, I just abhor the blatant writer favoritism.
    Those are the perks of building your name up the level that Bendis has. It isn't favoritism. Regardless of how some may feel about Bendis' work, he worked, he sold, he earned those perks. DC had reason to believe the book would sell based on the writer's pedigree and name. And it sold, so it wasn't like releasing Naomi was a bad idea. Similarly, if Stephen King wanted to do Naomi, DC would publish it by him as well. And it would probably sell. If Steve Orlando had pitched Naomi, DC probably wouldn't publish it, because that writer doesn't have the following or reputation of Stephen King or Bendis.

That's basically how the publishing industry works. Name recognition and reputation goes a LOOOOOOOONG way.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 11-04-2019 at 04:20 AM.

Not a fan. After screwing some Marvel characters over there, it's a matter of time before he screws some DC characters. If this happens, DC knew this about him from the getgo.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The first words that came to mind are "unnecessary changes" which is not about writing style or quality and more about decisions.

I'm... super not interested in yet another take of something behind Krypton's destruction, I have no idea what's the point of aging Jon up instead of going with natural aging when business-wise comics usually want to keep status quo as long as possible for it to stick and recognizable to as many people or generations as possible.

I largely agree on the first point. I think he's a great writer who sometimes takes established properties in directions that I don't like.

I could not possibly disagree more on the last point, though. One of the best things about Bendis is his ability to create great characters with real staying power, and this is something that superhero comics could always do with more of. All, as in every last one, of DC's characters were unknown properties when they first launched. Some were boosted by being legacy characters but most weren't. Fresh ideas and characters are what make superhero comics viable in the long run. Rehashing the same old stories and characters can get old quick.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Spectacular Member

I only know him because of his recent work at DC (i started reading comic, almost exclusively DC, not so long ago) so i can't compare what he did in DC with what he did in an other company.

From what i read :
    I like Naomi
    I like his young justice and the fact he put it in continuity with Tim and Stephanie.
    He aged Jon Kent and this is unforgivable. All the point of him is his interactions with his parents (and Damian) as a young boy.
    His characterization of Lois lane is horrible. Hopefully he will never put his hands on Wonder Woman.

Overall : pretty bad

Incredible Member

I don't understand why aging Jon is supposed to be a bad thing... He will be the leading character of LOSH. That's much better than being a supporting role of Superman.

His Young Justice is fun. It's not what i wanted but probably the best case scenario given how they've been treated in the past few years.

Naomi's decent and probably a better version of Miles/Riri. Naomi isn't dependent on another hero dying so she could take over. So there's less baggage with having to loose a character you like for one you don't know. Granted Riri would've been better off if Bendis wasn't burned out or just focus on her exclusively rather juggling her, Tony, and Doom.

Superman and Action comics are good comics but suffer from the same problems. Im unsold on Jon being aged up like this and the rumors of him being aged up again make me facepalm.

I'm enjoying YJ, and I'm so grateful he brought these belowed characters back. The book is very slow though, and so far we've not gotten a lot of deep interaction between the characters.

I enjoyed his Batman 100 Page Giant story, it was a fun romp.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member

I always had reservations but I have a real issue with his Legion take. IF Bendis wants to do a bennetton racially diverse super hero team based in the future fine create one, or add some new diverse characters into the Legion but to haphazardly change up the races on well established characters makes it not feel like your Legion. The difference between the joy I felt with my Saturn Girl being in Doomsday Clock compared to the mix between apathy and dread I feel at seeing this 'new' Legion is sad considering how long I have wanted a new Legion book on the stands. When I say my Saturn Girl I mean the feeling of this is the same Imra I grew up reading through the 80's, the one I understand and have an emotional closeness to. This new Legion feels like an alt universe take on a longtime favorite team. There is no emotional investment there. I wasn't looking for a new teen centered teen book, I wanted the Legion of Super Heroes back those two things are not the same.
    Last edited by EmeraldGladiator; 11-04-2019 at 08:40 AM.

Of what I've read:

Action Comics: Easily his best work. Superman, Lois, the Planet, Metropolis -- he's got the voices down. The Invisible Mafia is interesting.

Superman: Its bonkers to me that he also writes Superman, because it's a total 180. Rogol Zar's story was dumb, and worse, uninteresting and unnecessary. And it lasted, like, 16 issues, even pausing for an intermission midway through. It seemed to stretch on for an eternity, especially when you tack on the Man of Steel mini. Maybe it'll read better in trade?

Event Leviathan: I think I like it more because it's just its own little thing, if that makes sense? As opposed to a LINEWIDE event, I guess. It's been fun, and it's held my interest.

Young Justice: Not sure I'd like this if I wasn't a 90s teen and grew up with Tim, Connor, Bart, Cassie, etc etc. I'm 100% here for the nostalgia kick, and it's delivering in that regard. Couldn't care less about his new creations. Familiar with his Marvel work, it's unfortunate but not surprising it took 6 issues to get through the Gem World stuff, and another 5-6 to do the Multiverse story, but that's what you sign up for with Bendis. His Kingdom Come Alan Scott really bugged the crap out of me.

Naomi: Picked this up on a Comixology sale. It was OK? Loved the art.

LoSH: Millenium: This was a fun two-issue jaunt through the future of the DCU. No idea what it had to do with the Legion, but it was fun.

Astonishing Member

I like what he's doing with Young Justice. Leviathan will either wind up either decent or bad depending on how things end. Not a fan of what he's doing with Superman.

The original USM run is my all-time favorite Spider-Man run(I haven't read most of the subsequent Miles run), his Daredevil run was bonkers too, so I will always have appreciation for Bendis. His DC work has been really hit or miss, but overall I don't have issues with him despite that I think he's past his prime.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-04-2019 at 09:36 AM.

I love Bendis, mostly his early work. Jessica Jones, DD, and New Avengers are some of my all time favs. I also love Miles and Riri is cool (she's better under Ewing's pen). His DC work is alright, Naomi is really promising.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8