Spectacular Member

Default How hard would it be to create and publish my own comic book story universe?

I've been warned not to do this, because one of the comic book juggernauts, Marvel, is now owned by Disney, and Disney is super litigious about their intellectual property, going after true offenders and also people who just seem like offenders. Assuming I ignore the warnings, though, how close could I get to Marvel and DC with parody characters without committing copyright or trademark infringement?

Here's my first idea:

This is the Batman parody

Dawn is a city built on crime. Sin runs through her veins. Only one hero dares prowl these dark streets in vain attempt to save her--enter Nightfall and his trusty sidekick Gary the werewolf. Nightfall, a special agent recruited by the hero foundation, comes equipped with a suit that can cancel light for hundreds of feet, creating an illusion capable of blinding and disorienting enemies. He also has an alter ego who is part of the seedy dilapidated underworld, mob member Carson Felts. Moonlighting as one of the city's villains while simultaneously playing the part of her hero, this dark avenger prowls the night.

Frenemies

Monsoon--a beautiful woman who can summon storms with an alluring chant

The Alchemist--a level headed criminal mastermind who can use his alchemical prowess to create deadly chemicals and cast strange spells

Vampire--he's a vampire

Siren--a water-based supervillain who can control water and create and mind control sea life

The Storyteller--an enigmatic villain sorcerer who often works behind the scenes. He believes they're all just characters in a comic book, and he also has an alter ego who runs a comic book shop. He's also obsessed with Nightfall and Carson, perhaps he knows they're one in the same?
    Last edited by kcomics; 03-15-2024 at 09:11 PM.

When you do something about creation, the idea is to make things first and discuss later…

The ideas you wrote… at this point they are just ideas. You have to make stories and subject them to criticism. It’s a painful process… If you look at the story of comics (and mangas), you will see that people who had success often had it tough during a while.

And don’t forget that to exist next to people who are already there, you have to bring something new.

Before thinking of a universe, think of making a comic… My 2 cents, as they say…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    When you do something about creation, the idea is to make things first and discuss later…

The ideas you wrote… at this point they are just ideas. You have to make stories and subject them to criticism. It’s a painful process… If you look at the story of comics (and mangas), you will see that people who had success often had it tough during a while.

And don’t forget that to exist next to people who are already there, you have to bring something new.

Before thinking of a universe, think of making a comic… My 2 cents, as they say…

This is all good advice, but I just want to know if legally I'm in the clear to create such a thing before I pour hard work into something that turns out to essentially be fanfiction. I would think so, because I've seen a lot of parodies get a lot closer, but maybe they're doing something specific that I might somehow leave out? I know you probably aren't lawyers, but if you've ever created something similar to your favorite comic book franchises, how did you do it? What would be the safest steps for me to take?

Quote Originally Posted by kcomics View Post
    This is all good advice, but I just want to know if legally I'm in the clear to create such a thing before I pour hard work into something that turns out to essentially be fanfiction. I would think so, because I've seen a lot of parodies get a lot closer, but maybe they're doing something specific that I might somehow leave out? I know you probably aren't lawyers, but if you've ever created something similar to your favorite comic book franchises, how did you do it? What would be the safest steps for me to take?
    I have never created something similar to my favourite comic franchise…

I like reading fanfiction, though… The quality of writing with a rich vocabulary is a good point but, as English is not my native language, I am not that hell bent on it as long as the story is interesting.

Writing fanfictions will teach you how to write stories that will catch the eye and capture the reader’s interest. Having good ideas is not enough.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

There's a lot of flexibility when it comes to parodies. The main rule is that it has to be clear that you're not trying to convince people that you have an official Marvel/ DC product.

Your ideas seem distinct enough that you won't get sued.

We could consider when Marvel and DC sue independent creators. It's pretty rare.

The next step would be to make some comics.

Making webcomics probably makes the most sense if you're honing your craft, and trying to get your work out there.

If you can draw, you have everything you need to make some shorter stories.

If you can't draw, the next step would be to find an artistic partner. If you can pay them, you could start publishing your universe.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Off the top of my head I think only Valiant Comics is the only publisher from the the explosion of CBU's of the 1980s and 1990s that's still around. The rest are basically dead. Okay, there's still some around, but I'm focusing on the major publishers. There's a very good reason for that, it's unsustainable. You can't publish hundreds of books a year without having the income for it, and DC and Marvel has direct market in their iron grip. They flood the market to squash any competition.
    You're better off staying away from the direct market unless you have the money to compete.

I've been warned not to do this, because one of the comic book juggernauts, Marvel, is now owned by Disney, and Disney is super litigious about their intellectual property, going after true offenders and also people who just seem like offenders. Assuming I ignore the warnings, though, how close could I get to Marvel and DC with parody characters without committing copyright or trademark infringement?

Here's my first idea:

This is the Batman parody

Dawn is a city built on crime. Sin runs through her veins. Only one hero dares prowl these dark streets in vain attempt to save her--enter Nightfall and his trusty sidekick Gary the werewolf. Nightfall, a special agent recruited by the hero foundation, comes equipped with a suit that can cancel light for hundreds of feet, creating an illusion capable of blinding and disorienting enemies. He also has an alter ego who is part of the seedy dilapidated underworld, mob member Carson Felts. Moonlighting as one of the city's villains while simultaneously playing the part of her hero, this dark avenger prowls the night.

Frenemies

Monsoon--a beautiful woman who can summon storms with an alluring chant

The Alchemist--a level headed criminal mastermind who can use his alchemical prowess to create deadly chemicals and cast strange spells

Vampire--he's a vampire

Siren--a water-based supervillain who can control water and create and mind control sea life

The Storyteller--an enigmatic villain sorcerer who often works behind the scenes. He believes they're all just characters in a comic book, and he also has an alter ego who runs a comic book shop. He's also obsessed with Nightfall and Carson, perhaps he knows they're one in the same?
    You should write this as a story and get an artist to make a comic out if it.

Beyond that, your issue is getting it published and distributed. So you'd have to take the story you wrote and pitch it to publishers.

Your idea is solid and it's hard to see the Batman allusions at first glance. You should be fine putting it out as your own work, but the actual act of getting it in people's hands would be your hard part.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-23-2024 at 06:14 PM.