Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Thank you guys for asking. I love that the people on this site are very friendly towards each other and we legit care about each others wellbeing. I didnt notice that you did until now. Sorry for the late reply. my dad does not have covid. huge weight off my shoulders. he does have a respiratory infection but the doctor thinks he will get over that pretty quickly. Well as quickly as one can.

I have been pretty scared around the house on my own. Went nuts last night and pushed my sofa in front of my front door because I was worried about people breaking in. But I have been keeping busy. I think I have read every post on this boards lol. And I have been reading comics like mad cray. I am at 60+ issues for this month. Other then eating and showering I have been reading. my shrink said I need a more healthy way of dealing with my fears and problems as an addiction is not healthy. but there are worse things to do then go nuts on comics I think.

DrnewGod how are you doing? Are you still distressed by watching the news? have you found a way to help deal with that?
    Glad to hear the positive news. Being addicted to comics is surely better than most other addictions. I don't think 60 issues in a month given; (A) most people are working from home, (B) we can't go out [not sure how it is in the USA but lockdown is tight where I am] , (C) people get bored at home. It happens! I've been going for two daily runs as opposed to one.

Boisterously Confused

Thank you guys for asking. I love that the people on this site are very friendly towards each other and we legit care about each others wellbeing. I didnt notice that you did until now. Sorry for the late reply. my dad does not have covid. huge weight off my shoulders. he does have a respiratory infection but the doctor thinks he will get over that pretty quickly. Well as quickly as one can.

I have been pretty scared around the house on my own. Went nuts last night and pushed my sofa in front of my front door because I was worried about people breaking in. But I have been keeping busy. I think I have read every post on this boards lol. And I have been reading comics like mad cray. I am at 60+ issues for this month. Other then eating and showering I have been reading. my shrink said I need a more healthy way of dealing with my fears and problems as an addiction is not healthy. but there are worse things to do then go nuts on comics I think.

DrnewGod how are you doing? Are you still distressed by watching the news? have you found a way to help deal with that?
    The new administration being...y'know...not deranged is helping immensely. I actually wound up in a pretty good spot this past week; a couple of students and an alumna (all separate incidents) gave me some affirmation that what I'm doing is valued and worthwhile. The biggest thing nagging at me currently is procrastination; it's causing my work to-do list to morph from a bothersome gila monster into a full-sized fire-spewing dragon (he laments whilst visiting a thread rather than working on said list)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The new administration being...y'know...not deranged is helping immensely. I actually wound up in a pretty good spot this past week; a couple of students and an alumna (all separate incidents) gave me some affirmation that what I'm doing is valued and worthwhile. The biggest thing nagging at me currently is procrastination; it's causing my work to-do list to morph from a bothersome gila monster into a full-sized fire-spewing dragon (he laments whilst visiting a thread rather than working on said list)
    Doc, are you an ADHDer like I am?
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    Doc, are you an ADHDer like I am?
    I don't know. Could be. Could be just enough happening that I can't focus.

I just wanted to wish everyone a great weekend and hope all are doing well
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

ugh nevermind
    Last edited by RisingForce; 02-17-2021 at 01:33 AM.

I am sorry you are going through such a hard time RisingForce. One thing i would do is see if your area has a Suicide hotline number. The one here in the USA does not care about social situation or political beliefs. They will stay with you on the line as long as you need to talk to them. most countries have something the same. At the very least they should have some form of mental health center you can reach out to that should have a crisis line. or if it gets really bad go to the hospital and see if they can help.

I wish you the best and if you need to talk please feel free to pm me or post on here.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

I am sorry you are going through such a hard time RisingForce. One thing i would do is see if your area has a Suicide hotline number. The one here in the USA does not care about social situation or political beliefs. They will stay with you on the line as long as you need to talk to them. most countries have something the same. At the very least they should have some form of mental health center you can reach out to that should have a crisis line. or if it gets really bad go to the hospital and see if they can help.

I wish you the best and if you need to talk please feel free to pm me or post on here.
    It's not really beneficial at all to me, in my experience with suicide hotline numbers is that generally they do not say very much to you at all, they basically are as impersonal as you could possibly imagine and repeat verbatim exactly what you said to them and that's all, it seems like a useless service to exist, I don't think they really can break their protocol at all, it is like talking to an automated messaging machine or a robot.

It's hard not to be atheist in turn I guess when I really think about it. I just don't think I deserve to have suffered so much in my life, like I have experienced extreme inequality in life, and generally, no one really cared at all and it's kind of intolerable that in a 1st country I have experienced some of the things I have. I guess I could have a relatively nice life and then become some horrible burn victim that may be worse.

I am just pissed off that I came into this world and despite the horrendous self esteem I suffered and had to likewise overcome, I mean just hating myself entirely, I actually had a lot of positive things going for me, I was happy and content in the world for a time being, but that was generally all taken away from me and I just ended up growing up in complete squalor, like I don't know how I could end up with such seemingly poor blue collar working class uneducated failures as surrogate parents. I look back now and I realize most of my life was a sham as well, they were not really my parents hardly, they divorced and I was virtually neglected quite severely. And add to this I have had the world out to try and ruin my life for whatever reason as well, I have had to half way fight the entire world, I mean I feel like I am living underground at the moment, I have be a really vigilante person, and live my life in a different way for various reasons.

I just don't deserve it that fucking much I think, what the ****? I think my real parents were actually quite successful and such, and I just wonder what the hell happened to me? I deserved more of a chance at happiness and to have kind of normal things, I could have had a normal life and been quite happy and successful somehow, but instead my life has just been really bizarre and have experienced half of the world attempting to seemingly eradicate me, label and do away with me somehow as some imperfect person who is simply the sum of their income and financial status and have virtually just had an endless amount of **** pelted at me my entire life non stop.

I mean it seems as well like most white people are pretty comfortably middle class or something at least or have comfortable lives somewhat, I am like the only white person who has experienced these situations which kind of make me feel out of place, but maybe that's not entirely true I don't know.

BANNED

these famous (female) musicians put some node to me in a music video they just released, so I mean that's quite surprising I don't know if they were trying to be supportive somewhat or something I don't know. I have spent much of my life isolating myself and learning to play the guitar and I have become like a virtuoso at it, but I don't know if it matters or if it's that big of a deal like "yeah I mastered the guitar" it feels like a lot of people don't have respect for guitarists or something and likewise it's kind of frustrating not just because of how free music is but because I don't think guitars are as popular anymore. I hope I can do something with it at least, I should be able to make some money off it at least. It's just here I am, isolating myself and starting to practice the guitar for like 12 hours a day again.

Mastering the guitar was actually really, really difficult, it makes me almost nervous to play sometimes as a result because I mastered the guitar and sometimes I think "wow, isn't this famous?" but I don't know for sure, it makes me hyper ventilate and super nervous.

I relate a lot to Jimi Hendrix's experiences, he was like a poor black kid, I remember reading his biography they were so poor they hardly had any food to eat and had to steal and as well he was almost put into foster care multiple times, his mother died etc all he really did was play the guitar. I really relate to Jimi Hendrix I guess, but Jeff Buckley is also one of my biggest musical inspirations I think all he did was play the guitar mostly as well. I listen to a lot of music and sometimes I almost laugh at the guitar, but it's not that funny because I think I went over board you don't have to really be that good at the guitar to make good music.

it feels a little like being high sometimes when your dreams come true I guess if I could best describe it, it's almost too overwhelming.
    Last edited by RisingForce; 02-17-2021 at 04:21 AM.

BANNED

I guess I was middle class for a while, when I was really young, I don't know what happened really.

I used to dream about being a successful musician now it almost doesn't matter to me as much and I just feel incredibly cheated and wish I have had a more normal life. I used to love table hockey, and just normal things, I even liked sports a little bit, I wore flannel shirts and I liked being taken for rides in this person's red car on warm sunny days I just used to imagine what kind of car I would have when I was older, or something I used to imagine having a relatively normal life and being a normal person with normal mile stones. I don't really know what happened. I never realized it, but somehow even though I never got a chance to know him I somehow turned out to be just like my dad. It's a really bizarre and strange feeling, I do weird things all the time and I realize "wow that's something my dad would do" I sometimes throw apples in the air and catch them before I eat them, that's my dad, so many weird things.

I have lost a lot of people close to me that I loved or cared about, I sometimes just wish I knew my real parents, I imagine them like this impossibly fabled thing in my dreams or far off memories. I miss all the houses I have lived in. Sometimes those memories strangely keep me going though, I had this weird dream the other night, this old town I lived in was completely flooded and there were all these giant seals swimming around, it was strangely tropical and everyone hated the seals or were scared of them, but for some reason, I decided to swim with the seals and they let me ride on their backs. I then remembered this time one of my surrogate fathers (who also died quite young and tragically) took me to this place where there were these dolphins that swim with you and lift you over the water and was strangely similar to that I guess, I thought that was quite strange. I do not know why I dreamed so vividly of these strange seals, they were very form and friendly to me in the dream, I loved swimming with them and riding on their backs. Everyone else hated them though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RisingForce View Post
    I guess I was middle class for a while, when I was really young, I don't know what happened really.

I used to dream about being a successful musician now it almost doesn't matter to me as much and I just feel incredibly cheated and wish I have had a more normal life. I used to love table hockey, and just normal things, I even liked sports a little bit, I wore flannel shirts and I liked being taken for rides in this person's red car on warm sunny days I just used to imagine what kind of car I would have when I was older, or something I used to imagine having a relatively normal life and being a normal person with normal mile stones. I don't really know what happened. I never realized it, but somehow even though I never got a chance to know him I somehow turned out to be just like my dad. It's a really bizarre and strange feeling, I do weird things all the time and I realize "wow that's something my dad would do" I sometimes throw apples in the air and catch them before I eat them, that's my dad, so many weird things.

I have lost a lot of people close to me that I loved or cared about, I sometimes just wish I knew my real parents, I imagine them like this impossibly fabled thing in my dreams or far off memories. I miss all the houses I have lived in. Sometimes those memories strangely keep me going though, I had this weird dream the other night, this old town I lived in was completely flooded and there were all these giant seals swimming around, it was strangely tropical and everyone hated the seals or were scared of them, but for some reason, I decided to swim with the seals and they let me ride on their backs. I then remembered this time one of my surrogate fathers (who also died quite young and tragically) took me to this place where there were these dolphins that swim with you and lift you over the water and was strangely similar to that I guess, I thought that was quite strange. I do not know why I dreamed so vividly of these strange seals, they were very form and friendly to me in the dream, I loved swimming with them and riding on their backs. Everyone else hated them though.
    Why did you give up the ice hockey>

BANNED

I wouldn't say that I have a mental health problem. But on the Meyers Brigg personality spectrum I am an ISTJ so that means I tend towards being hyper serious and can take things too seriously from time to time and catastrophize things at others. There are a few things that really help me:

-My faith in the Creator
    -Strenuous exercise. Due to lock down where I live, it has either led to gym closures or a maxed out capacity of 10 so it's virtually impossible to get a space. So I ended up buying an elliptical
    -Reading, mostly business self help
    -Writing.
    - I also keep a sheet of inspirational quotes which I read first thing in the morning. They really help me to set my mind.

We have a GLBT thread for support and discussion so I thought I would start one for people who have mental health struggles or just need a helping hand after a bad day. If the mods dont think this is appropriate am take it down I am sorry for having started it.

Here is a little about me. I have schizoaffetive disorder. I have mood swings that go from Manic and extreme happiness to extreme depression. I also have hallucinations and hear voices. For the longest time I thought my voices were real people and didnt understand why other people were ignoring them. Now I know they are not real and that has been a struggle to accept. I often times for sorry for people without voices because I think of how lonely they must be. I also have a hard time leaving the house.
    I get very nervous and at time have panic attacks in public. I have a mental health caseworker who takes me places like to the grocery store and doctors. He stays with me while I am out and without him I doubt I would have the courage to get anything done.

This makes things very hard for me at times. It doesnt help that I am a caretaker for my disabled father and cant really afford to have a bad day. When I do I have to struggle through it for his sake. I am controlled somewhat with meds and in the last month my good days have outnumbered my bad. I am talking with my doctor about scaling back my medicine regiment. Right now I am on 12 pills a day and that is hard. Sometimes I forget to talk them and that leads to bad times. I dont work and get social security disability though I am hoping as I get better I can return to the workforce.

I try very hard to distract myself. I read comics a lot. More then I should probably. It is my main hobby as it picks me up when I am having a bad day and calms me down when I am manic. I may go overboard sometime like the days I read 15 or 30 issues in on day on Marvel Unlimited. I remember the day I couldnt sleep and woke up at one am and ended up reading 60 that day. I read normal books on my kindle. I also write though I have not done a lot of that as of late. I also come to this site This site has helped me a great deal. It has given me a place to talk about comics and I have been getting more active on other threads to become a better member of this community.

I wanted to be open about what I am going through because maybe then others will be open as well. I know I am not a role model or anything and am not trying to be but all it takes is one person sometimes.

So if you want to talk about struggles you are going through or if you are just having a bad day I encourage you to open up here. I have found a good many people on this site supportive and willing to help.

I understand mental health is a personal and hard thing to talk about at times so if this thread dies on the vine I will understand.
    There is nothing like a good book to pick you up, to comfort you and keep you company. I have been collecting SH comic books for a very, very long time and I find that I get more inspiration from it than any heavy handed self help book. Don't apologize for reading comic books. Many successful people do and I understand the average age is 30 years old. So it's hardly something for stunted 15 year old boys.

It's better for you to 'read too many comics'. Than for you to indulge yourself with other harmful stimulants or vegging on the net or tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I wouldn't say that I have a mental health problem. But on the Meyers Brigg personality spectrum I am an ISTJ so that means I tend towards being hyper serious and can take things too seriously from time to time and catastrophize things at others. There are a few things that really help me:

-My faith in the Creator
    -Strenuous exercise. Due to lock down where I live, it has either led to gym closures or a maxed out capacity of 10 so it's virtually impossible to get a space. So I ended up buying an elliptical
    -Reading, mostly business self help
    -Writing.
    - I also keep a sheet of inspirational quotes which I read first thing in the morning. They really help me to set my mind.
    I like the idea of Quotes. I have a few that I enjoy but I dont look at them everyday.

There is one that I love. it is some thing my uncle used to say. When some one asked how he was he would say.

Better then yesterday worse then tomorrow. I really loved that.

Extraordinary Member

Oh God, I'm having a severe anxiety attack. Its so bad, I don't know what to do. It's all I can do to keep from screaming my head off, and I want to run somewhere, anywhere. But I don't know why. Or how to make it stop.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Oh God, I'm having a severe anxiety attack. Its so bad, I don't know what to do. It's all I can do to keep from screaming my head off, and I want to run somewhere, anywhere. But I don't know why. Or how to make it stop.
    When I am having this I go into a room by myself and listen to relaxing calm music and sounds and pace like crazy.

I dont know if this is an option for you but if it is try.