Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The mental health support thread

We have a GLBT thread for support and discussion so I thought I would start one for people who have mental health struggles or just need a helping hand after a bad day. If the mods dont think this is appropriate am take it down I am sorry for having started it.

Here is a little about me. I have schizoaffetive disorder. I have mood swings that go from Manic and extreme happiness to extreme depression. I also have hallucinations and hear voices. For the longest time I thought my voices were real people and didnt understand why other people were ignoring them. Now I know they are not real and that has been a struggle to accept. I often times for sorry for people without voices because I think of how lonely they must be. I also have a hard time leaving the house.
    I get very nervous and at time have panic attacks in public. I have a mental health caseworker who takes me places like to the grocery store and doctors. He stays with me while I am out and without him I doubt I would have the courage to get anything done.

This makes things very hard for me at times. It doesnt help that I am a caretaker for my disabled father and cant really afford to have a bad day. When I do I have to struggle through it for his sake. I am controlled somewhat with meds and in the last month my good days have outnumbered my bad. I am talking with my doctor about scaling back my medicine regiment. Right now I am on 12 pills a day and that is hard. Sometimes I forget to talk them and that leads to bad times. I dont work and get social security disability though I am hoping as I get better I can return to the workforce.

I try very hard to distract myself. I read comics a lot. More then I should probably. It is my main hobby as it picks me up when I am having a bad day and calms me down when I am manic. I may go overboard sometime like the days I read 15 or 30 issues in on day on Marvel Unlimited. I remember the day I couldnt sleep and woke up at one am and ended up reading 60 that day. I read normal books on my kindle. I also write though I have not done a lot of that as of late. I also come to this site This site has helped me a great deal. It has given me a place to talk about comics and I have been getting more active on other threads to become a better member of this community.

I wanted to be open about what I am going through because maybe then others will be open as well. I know I am not a role model or anything and am not trying to be but all it takes is one person sometimes.

So if you want to talk about struggles you are going through or if you are just having a bad day I encourage you to open up here. I have found a good many people on this site supportive and willing to help.

I understand mental health is a personal and hard thing to talk about at times so if this thread dies on the vine I will understand.
    Last edited by babyblob; 11-04-2019 at 06:27 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Hi tbaron. So sorry to hear about your struggles. I hope you maintain the strength to continue to deal with them. It must be very difficult at times. I think it is great that you have found comics as a refuge. Though I have never dealt with problems as tough as you are, there have still been times when having comics as a refuge has been of great help for me.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Is there any reason this thread died on the vine? I have schizophrenia, I would feel odd bringing it up in any other discussion or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Is there any reason this thread died on the vine? I have schizophrenia, I would feel odd bringing it up in any other discussion or anything like that.
    You can talk about it here. I would be very willing to offer what help and encouragement I can.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    You can talk about it here. I would be very willing to offer what help and encouragement I can.
    Do you ever find it hard to read or focus when you're having a bad day or due to meds?

Do you ever find it hard to read or focus when you're having a bad day or due to meds?
    When I am having a good day my focus is amazing. Like I said above some days I read up to 30 issues. When I am having a bad day I try to read but it doesnt always work. Most bad days walking helps ore then anything. When I am manic I have been known to walk ten miles a day. I do laps around my house. When I am depressed reading doent really help that much. When that happens I lay in bed all day and only get up when my father needs me.

May I ask you a few questions about what you go through so I understand where you are coming from better? I am on the schizo spectrum so I have a good idea about symptoms.

Boisterously Confused

tbaron: thank you for starting this. I'm sorry for the struggles you face, but I am grateful to you for reminding me how lucky I am when I get to moping over what I think are problems.

I don't know how hard it is for you. I do know it takes guts for you to keep going. You've proven you can do it, so you can keep doing it. Don't quit.

ETA: I don't have anything diagnosable, is it okay for.me.to share things that really stress me here? I understand if this isn't the right place for that
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 02-04-2020 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    tbaron: thank you for starting this. I'm sorry for the struggles you face, but I am grateful to you for reminding me how lucky I am when I get to moping over what I think are problems.

I don't know how hard it is for you. I do know it takes guts for you to keep going. You've proven you can do it, so you can keep doing it. Don't quit.

ETA: I don't have anything diagnosable, is it okay for.me.to share things that really stress me here? I understand if this isn't the right place for that
    Of course it is. I created this thread for anyone who needs it. Share anything you like.

I had ADHD attention deficiet disorder and schizophrenia. I have been depressed many times before

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I had ADHD attention deficiet disorder and schizophrenia. I have been depressed many times before
    Sorry to hear. I hope comics and this community helps.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    When I am having a good day my focus is amazing. Like I said above some days I read up to 30 issues. When I am having a bad day I try to read but it doesnt always work. Most bad days walking helps ore then anything. When I am manic I have been known to walk ten miles a day. I do laps around my house. When I am depressed reading doent really help that much. When that happens I lay in bed all day and only get up when my father needs me.

May I ask you a few questions about what you go through so I understand where you are coming from better? I am on the schizo spectrum so I have a good idea about symptoms.
    I had schizophrenia undiagnosed throughout my teens and early twenties. I was diagnosed some years ago and have been on and off treatment since, as well as in and out of hospital since. I hear voices and have paranoiac symptoms too, but I tend to fall on the 'disorganised schizophrenia' spectrum more than paranoiac type, but I was very isolated for a long time. I have periods of withdrawal and depression as well as delusions, including delusions of grandeur; I have bodily symptoms that are disturbing (e.g., heightened sensations in my body that feel foreign, electrical nodes and currents in parts of my body and similar issues); delusions that people are putting thoughts in my head as well as people taking thoughts from me, reading my mind, telepathic type sensations... Other delusions too, once I thought I was dead. Once I thought my body/organs were rotting/I was rotting from the inside out. I often see my face and stuff distorted or rotting. I find it difficult and very stressful to go outside a lot of the time, even just having other people look at me is very distressing. Usually when I have paranoid delusions, like government agency spying on me, they are very fleeting rather than what you'd see in a paranoid person. Disorganised speech and seeming to be inventive or gibberishy with language is common, though I can be quite articulate too. Voices are big thing for me though - it is rare that I don't hear voices, and usually more than one. Sometimes I can stay up for days on end - but usually when I don't sleep or have sleeping issues it is followed by a bad episode, so I try to look out for sleep issues a bit or get on top of it. Focus and stuff can be an issue for me, these days everything is an effort but it is worse when I'm on meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Sorry to hear. I hope comics and this community helps.
    Thanks sir. And yes, comics are helping me in a way.

Well I feel kinda of stupid for sharing that info about me

Well I feel kinda of stupid for sharing that info about me
    Why do you fee; stupid. I am sorry if it was anything I did.

Hey all. First off, I'm glad to see that there's a thread devoted to mental health. It's something that a lot of people still unfortunately misunderstand. Straight jackets and mental asylums for the criminally insane. Psycho killers and lone gunmen. Special buses and family embarrassments. I'm willing to bet that many of us associate those ideas with mental health. I know I did. And I know that's what prevented me from getting help for a long time.

As for me, well, I can only share so much. All I can say is that I have severe stress and anxiety and have had depression. There have been times I wake up an hour to two hours before my alarm clock goes off and I'm just panicking about the day ahead of me. I'm afraid of failure and making mistakes. But for the past six months, I've been dealing with it through online psychological counseling. Personally, I've really appreciated this. Online therapy has been convenient, on my schedule, and in the privacy of my own home. No need to travel at all. Yes, I'm speaking with my therapist on a smartphone. Yeah, it's a little bit more expensive than in person services. But I'll tell you, I've had a lot of good emotional, cathartic, and enlightening experiences. Still a work in progress, but hey, I'm making progress.

To all of those who are embarrassed or afraid of admitting that there's an issue, or maybe you're afraid that your family or your job is going to find out, don't be. There are ways around it. There are ways to get help.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."