Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I have been gradually been weaning myself off of social media. Particularly twitter and reddit. I have have blockers on my computer at work and at home. I also put one on my phone. I really don't like the person it's turning me into. SM is making me cynical, nihilistic, angry, and sad. My therapist is pretty proud of me. I don't want to be a terminally online freak.
    I think this is a good thing. I did the same not too long ago. Just limited myself to this site and a couple game sites for Blood Bowl and board games.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Good for you. SM is not a necessity, you can engage in the places you want, like talking about comics books, without the more toxic sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I think this is a good thing. I did the same not too long ago. Just limited myself to this site and a couple game sites for Blood Bowl and board games.
    Thanks a lot, this study by pew research center is a real wake up call. I might be showing my age, but I still don't think of YouTube as social media. More people use LinkedIn and Pinterest than twitter and reddit so this idea that Twitter is the new public square doesn't hold water.

I also might go to church on sunday. Now I know that the internet doesn't like religion. I get it. I'm not interested in debate. Every time I go, I always end up being glad I did, so it's beneficial for me, but I understand why people don't like it.

I quit drinking. I am 41 years old. A type 1 diabetic and beer is just not good for me. Took me a long time to realize it.

I feel great though. I mean there are always issues (family fights, new career opportunities, just getting over a divorce) but I am working through them the best I can.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    I quit drinking. I am 41 years old. A type 1 diabetic and beer is just not good for me. Took me a long time to realize it.

I feel great though. I mean there are always issues (family fights, new career opportunities, just getting over a divorce) but I am working through them the best I can.
    Good for you. Not to be cliche, but it's one day at a time.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Good for you. Not to be cliche, but it's one day at a time.
    I am on like 5 months now. I feel wonderful.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    I am on like 5 months now. I feel wonderful.
    I am so happy for you It is a struggle my date is July 1st 2010. it is 12 years later and I still have issues sometimes. Dont get to focused on the long term. Like Kirby said it really is one day at a time. Wake up in the morning and focus on that. And at the end of the day when you go to bed say a word of thanks thats you made it through another day

And if there is a minor slip dont let it ruin what you are working towards. There may be slips. There may mistakes. Do not let the mistake take you down a dark road.
    If you need to talk please reach out.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Thank you guys...really. I said after the first year of divorce I was giving up alcohol for good. I actually think I can do this. I love a good craft beer. Love em. I brewed my own beer for years. Worked at a brewery once. Loved it all. Now these days being a bit over 40 I believe alcohol helps nothing. Nothing really. It is wonderful if someone likes any type of alcohol and drinks or uses it the right way. Like anything really.

Beer raises my blood sugar and i feel like crap even after like 2 these days. So I said no more. Here we are on like 5 months.

Thank you for letting me tell my story here. It has been very hard. Divorce two years ago came out of no where. I now live like a hour and a 1/2 from my kids. I work 24/7 in a busy emergency room and I lost like all my friends. I am trying to become a nurse at the same time by going to school slowly. My health is a big concern as I have had diabetes since I was 7 years old. I dont remember not taking insulin needles. Anxiety is always hard but I get help with it.

I talk to some about stuff when at work or a distant friend through text. I dont open up though much with people because life has just SUCKED for awhile now. It is life though or at least that is what I am told. I never thought I would get divorced. We were together for 25 years. Since late high school. We did everything together. She was it. I still love her to death. Its awful. I like cant let her go. Dont know how. I honestly want to let her go. I need to. I still go mow the lawn, watch the dog, help out with house. Child support is just awful. I hate the term. I would do anything for my children (9 and 6 year old). They miss and love me. Was just with them for 4 days. It was wonderful but always very sad to see them go.

So ya...thats me. Again thanks for letting me open up above. That felt great. I am praying things will get better. If I have to go back to church then I will.

If any of you know how to fall out of love with a woman after loving her for 25 years please let me know. That is the hardest part of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I Hope everyone is doing well.

I have been having a bit of a rough patch. Just feeling a little depressed and over whelmed and angry all at the same time.

Health issues with my father, World Events, And I wake up this morning and find out there was a double murder on my road about a 4th of a mile down. It is in a mobile home park and I know several people there. Not close but a few I talk to and have met up with a few times one guy I was in prison with lives there. Not sure who the victims are. There are police there blocking off the road.

Crazy times right now.

I hope everyone is doing well. I hope we all take the time to check on those we care about.

Despite what some people think we share this world together and we need to look out for each other.
    Hope that heads in the right direction really soon.

Thanks a lot, this study by pew research center is a real wake up call. I might be showing my age, but I still don't think of YouTube as social media. More people use LinkedIn and Pinterest than twitter and reddit so this idea that Twitter is the new public square doesn't hold water.

I also might go to church on sunday. Now I know that the internet doesn't like religion. I get it. I'm not interested in debate. Every time I go, I always end up being glad I did, so it's beneficial for me, but I understand why people don't like it.
    Honestly?

"People..." get wound a little too tight about that sometimes.

My mom had aunts on her mom's side whose husbands wound up passing too young. Later in their life? Church wound up being a big part of their social circle. Same with my dad's mom even though husband wound up outliving her.

As long as a church isn't really hitting folks with the serious hard sell about the collection plate?

They aren't hurting anybody most of the time when it comes to this particular aspect of it.

(There's also that there is the occasional really interesting worship band. Totally had one at a church that was in between a music store and a bar in a strip mall. Little bit different tangent, but worth the mention...)

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Hope that heads in the right direction really soon.
    Thank you

It depends on your Church. I think the "internet" is upset with the radical churches that are trying to impose their version of Christianity on everyone.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

It depends on your Church. I think the "internet" is upset with the radical churches that are trying to impose their version of Christianity on everyone.
    Unfortunately, the loudest voices are those who use religion to justify bigotry and hate. AOC had a really good rant on this.

Individually, people are probably more positive. Kind of like how people don't trust the healthcare system but trust their own doctor. I moved to a new city in December and was not able to get home for Christmas. Alone in a city where I knew no one at the holidays, I went to Church. It was very helpful in uplifting my spirits and getting me through the season.

Extraordinary Member

Great, I have a real reason now to have a panic attack, and for some reason I'm not. Maybe later, tonight, when it sinks in. Damn, I don't even smoke. Hopefully, whatever it is can be gotten rid of. I mean, I just went on a ten mile hike, with a lot of it hill climbing; I'm not terribly short of breath. Which by the way has always been my biggest phobia. Not my best day all of the sudden.

Extraordinary Member

Well, today I suppose I get started on finding out if I'm going to suffer a lingering death soon as I have an appointment with my usually nearly impossible to get one with my GP, who will look at those CT scans I was informed of yesterday. Meanwhile, I can barely breath from the feeling this is giving me. My aunt and uncle both died from smoking diseases as they smoked like chimneys, and I got a front row seat for it all, helping to care for them. I've never smoked and have spots on my lung. Not to mention the heart thing. Turns out having a real reason to panic isn't as fun as it sounds.

I suppose he'll order more tests, more CT scans, and it will be days after that before I know anything definitive.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, today I suppose I get started on finding out if I'm going to suffer a lingering death soon as I have an appointment with my usually nearly impossible to get one with my GP, who will look at those CT scans I was informed of yesterday. Meanwhile, I can barely breath from the feeling this is giving me. My aunt and uncle both died from smoking diseases as they smoked like chimneys, and I got a front row seat for it all, helping to care for them. I've never smoked and have spots on my lung. Not to mention the heart thing. Turns out having a real reason to panic isn't as fun as it sounds.

I suppose he'll order more tests, more CT scans, and it will be days after that before I know anything definitive.
    Will keep you in my thoughts. I hope you get good news.