View Poll Results: Which Power Would You Like For Cynthia To Have?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Illusions

7 58.33%
  • Intangibility

1 8.33%
  • Vibration manipulation and dimension travel

0 0%
  • Don't know/all three are good

4 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cynthia Reynolds Powers

So across different media we've seen Cynthia Reynolds (whose code name was unfortunately a slur) be given different powers in different media.

The comics - the original version of Cynthia had the power to project mental illusions and make her self invisible to the mind's eye.

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths animated movie - An evil version of Cynthia appears and has the power to turn intangible. This isn't the "main earth" Cynthia but since the other characters from the Crime Syndicate Earth are meant to be duplicates of their other selves it might mean the good Cynthia that exists in this movie's universe also has intangibility as her power.

CW's The Flash - This version of Cynthia has the same powers as Cisco Ramon, being able to control vibrations and open portals to other dimensions.

So which power for Cynthia do you like the best?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-05-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Somewhere "between" (which is what her name infers)

While Cisco Ramon Vibe can control vibrations and open portals/rifts and travel to other dimensions.
    Gypsy is trapped between them all, or rather actually exits in all of them at once. That is what makes her unique.
    It is in this sense she is both the classic choice a.Illusion, and b.Intangible.
    Yet also connected to Cisco choice c. vibrating between them.

More specifically anyone else (like Vibe, or Flash) going through a rift to an alt-dimension, would encounter in that other dimension(alt-earth) another version of themselves. This alt-earth "other", is a separate being with it's own identity, history etc....
    Gypsy, on the other hand, is, and exists as all those (infinite) versions of herself, in one being. There is only ever her, the one being experiences all those realities, memories, experiences, hence her complexity.

Her constant in flux Illusion/Intangibility "traveling" state is actually her natural state.
    And to the contrary her ever being "real"/tangible/perceptible, etc. is her in fact choosing to exist/be "real" and momentarily tethered to one dimension, that is her power.

Most are looking at it backwards.
    If done right, she is much more interesting and complex than just the usual take on illusion or intangibility.

Last edited by Güicho; 11-06-2019 at 06:50 AM.

Anything that makes her more unique then "female Vibe."

I definitely think invisibility should be in there since that's her original power.

I like Chameleon.

Astonishing Member

Invisibility/Illusions, but is also a very good hand to hand combat like she was practicing to be in Birds of Prey.

Illusions and her Code Name should stay Gypsy. Context and Intent matters and besides that it fits her original concept.

BTW anyone to at me with some non-sense in regards to her name will just be ignored FYI.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Illusions here, too.
    She could easily be the 21st Century's equivalent of Projectra if used correctly.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

For those who say "illusions" should they be telepathic or photokinetic?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Illusions and her Code Name should stay Gypsy. Context and Intent matters and besides that it fits her original concept.

BTW anyone to at me with some non-sense in regards to her name will just be ignored FYI.
    That's fine - then you can remain willfully insensitive to suffering for the sake of your own comics reading comfort and not reply to this small excerpt of an interesting article on the subject:
    "The media offers two stereotypes of Romani women: the beggar, who is dirty and exploiting social welfare, and a hypersexualized magical being who threatens the patriarchy. So, while the use of the word “gypsy” seems innocent, it is dangerous to Romani women. It conjures up a romanticized image of poverty and sexualization, which doesn’t acknowledge that there is nothing romantic about being a victim of institutionalized racism."
    -- https://now.org/blog/the-g-word-isnt...-romani-women/

Also of note and something I didn't know, "Europeans imposed the word “gypsy” on Romani when they came to Europe, believing that we originated from Egypt because of our dark features."

I admit I was on the fence on this but ultimately, it doesn't hurt me to not use the term. And while there might not have been an intent to offend, the original design for her is a racist stereotype as much as an African hero with a loin cloth and a spear named "Spearchucker" would have been. So yes, feel free to ignore this because I don't want to derail this thread any more than it has been.

And I think it'd be cool if she had really powerful powers of illusion.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-05-2019 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Illusions here, too.
    She could easily be the 21st Century's equivalent of Projectra if used correctly.
    That would be an interesting take for Gypsy. I always felt that Illusion projection was an underrated and under utilized power. It would be cool to revitalize the character with something like that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I would perfer a hybrid of both. Just so she can have some real offensive capabilities with something like light energy blast .
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I like telepathic.
    Even telepathic illusions can be dangerous in the right situations.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I also like telepathic, where she can only project into people's heads, not pull things from their minds and that she can with enough effort, affect a large number of people at once to see the same thing. And also with effort, have people see different things at the same time. It could be a super effective and dangerous power - but I'd limit her range to like a hundred yards just so she's not OP.

Mighty Member

It would be creative to connect all of those powers that Gypsy has. I like Guicho’s take on it, that’s actually perfect. It’s unique. There’s multiple Batmen, Supermen, Wonder Women across the multiverse. But only ONE Gypsy. I like that.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Illusion casting, like that of Dani Moonstar’s powers, where she’s getting the images from people’s minds, letting them see what they want to see, and not what actually is.

Also, give her the code name Apparition, since Tinya’s not using it.

So can we add sensory manipulation (smell, touch, taste and hearing) to Cynthia's illusions or would that be too much?