35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 94.29%
  • No

2 5.71%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Did people overreact to JOKER?

Now that the movie has finally come out, it is doing really well at the box office. However, instead of hoards of incels using the movie to attack others, what we are seeing is people imitating the dancing scene. So, I am starting to wonder if maybe people overreacted to the possible threat the movie apparently posed.

Also, here is this article about Joker and art: https://io9.gizmodo.com/this-video-e...abo-1839586267

i'm convinced that the "threat" was a marketing ploy to get unconscious incels to flock to the movie. the movie was tame as hell.

Oh hell to the yes. The amount of overreaction was laughably ridiculous, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Yes. I had already seen The Black Swan.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i'm convinced that the "threat" was a marketing ploy to get unconscious incels to flock to the movie. the movie was tame as hell.
    Absolutely, though the very fact that the movie has to end with him becoming a supervillain meant it never had a chance of saying anything interesting. At worst it stigmatises mental illness, like anyone who takes medication could flip out and turn into a as psychopath, and treads a very fine line between sympathy and glorifying his violent outbursts.

You Were Never Really Here is a more compelling, if less scenery chewing Joaquin Phoenix performance.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 11-04-2019 at 01:46 PM.

I think it's a good movie, amazing performance from Joaquin. But it didn't "sway" me at all.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

It was always moral panic bullshit. The press saw a movie that went against their sensibilities, tried to cancel it but ended up blowing up in their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It was always moral panic bullshit. The press saw a movie that went against their sensibilities, tried to cancel it but ended up blowing up in their face.
    Some of those opposed where normal viewers. As I recall, survivors of the Dark Knight Rises were among those to publicly speak out against it.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i'm convinced that the "threat" was a marketing ploy to get unconscious incels to flock to the movie..
    Why would WB want to threaten their own movie?

the movie was tame as hell
    You mean to say the movie is lame as hell?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Some of those opposed where normal viewers. As I recall, survivors of the Dark Knight Rises were among those to publicly speak out against it.
    The Aurora shooting connection to the Joker has always been fake news. One that continues to persist to this day. The shooters motivations never had anything to do with the character. Anyone who actually followed the facts knows this.

The Aurora shooting connection to the Joker has always been fake news. One that continues to persist to this day. The shooters motivations never had anything to do with the character. Anyone who actually followed the facts knows this.
    Right. For the media somehow him dying his hair red was supposed to make him look like Joker. Never mind that Joker has green hair. And he even said the reason he dyed his hair red was to go along with a friend who dyed his hair blue.
    Dying his hair had nothing to do with Joker.

Speaking of the press, DC needs to sue the asses of Yahoo for libel and slander. Yahoo reported a story of a shooting in Texas and yahoo put a mask of the Joker as the front page even though Joker had no connection to the shooting.

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-shootin...103835639.html.

I can live with yahoo shilling for Disney about how Sony needs Spiderman to make a billion even though the Sam Raimi movies would have done that easily in 2019, however this is now a new territory of harmful lies and dangerous propaganda.

Our Press has become the go to dictionary for garbage news.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Enormously so, and in a way that says much about the nature of both our current society and the mainstream and social medias. Some of the knee-jerk reactions were ridiculous and look stupider as each day passes and the hype over the film gradually dies down. Was it a publicity stunt all along? I doubt it but stranger things have happened.

I've seen Joker twice now and, although it's a pretty good film, it's maybe not the leap forward in superhero related cinema that some made it out to be. That 'superhero movies will never be the same again' reaction was also a little OTT.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Fantastic Member

Of course the media hyped this up - and it would have been the media's fault if something bad had happened because of all the negative press The Joker got. The f#%$%#@ media is indirectly responsible - and in many cases directly responsible - for a lot of social problems we have, especially in the U.S.

I hate going to see movies theatrically anyway due to all of the inconsiderate a-holes. But, when I typically go to movies I get into fights with those who are being rude (talking too loud, etc.), sometimes resulting in all of us being thrown out. So, since I really want to see The Joker uninterrupted - I figure I'll wait until I can stream it - or see it on Blu.
    Last edited by ROM Spaceknight; 11-05-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Why would WB want to threaten their own movie?

You mean to say the movie is lame as hell?
    WB played the Joker "hype" beautifully. All that free publicity was wonderful for the Joker box-office.

Lame? Thanks for going to see it.