Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 94.29%
  • No

2 5.71%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ROM Spaceknight View Post
    I hate going to see movies theatrically anyway due to all of the inconsiderate a-holes. But, when I typically go to movies I get into fights with those who are being rude (talking too loud, etc.), sometimes resulting in all of us being thrown out. So, since I really want to see The Joker uninterrupted - I figure I'll wait until I can stream it - or see it on Blu.
    I usually go on a weekday afternoon. Less people. I would say there was probably around 50 people in the theater and everyone that was there was quiet and respectful. Someone in the same row did get up and had to pass
    in front of me to get by and then came back about 20 minutes later. But other than that it was like watching the movie all by myself.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Absolutely, though the very fact that the movie has to end with him becoming a supervillain meant it never had a chance of saying anything interesting. At worst it stigmatises mental illness, like anyone who takes medication could flip out and turn into a as psychopath, and treads a very fine line between sympathy and glorifying his violent outbursts.

You Were Never Really Here is a more compelling, if less scenery chewing Joaquin Phoenix performance.
    Best answer to this topic I've read.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Critics: Maybe Joker could be inspire real world violence. I don't know...

Media: *sees possible controversy brewing*

This is what happened. The media didn't want to shut Joker down. They just wanted to make money.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I mean, yeah, a bit. But it's been overhyped both ways. It's good but it does strike me as being nowhere as profound as it thinks it is and does come across like a genre movie that is disdainful of genre movies - which I really, really hate. It did nothing that Logan and the Dark Knight didn't already do better and, sorry, but I think Avengers Endgame is a much greater accomplishment on pretty much every level.

As for the kneejerk reaction, I do understand that somewhat. Not that it would cause people to commit violence - films can't actually do that - but because it can be read as an endorsement for the worst of incel culture that relinquishes personal responsibility for blaming everyone but yourself for your problems. I don't think that was Phillips' intention, to be fair, but I don't think you have to try too hard to misinterpret it as such. Certainly, though the Joker is clearly supposed to be a loathful and, at best, pitiful character, that is not how he is being received. There is just no way in hell that a film like Joker would make this kind of money if audiences didn't embrace the character of the Joker himself. It's a nasty, nihilistic film of the kind that usually wins critical acclaim and, if it's lucky, a cult following. Even taking into consideration the box office boost that comes with being associated with the Batman brand, its box office take and popularity is completely out of whack with what the film is. It's like Raging Bull making more money than Star Wars!

It's not my intention to be sanctimonious and I'm normally incredibly dubious of the sort of moral panic that often surrounds a film like Joker, but is it just me or is the fact that Joker has struck such a chord with audiences throughout the world, not just a little bit concerning?
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I'm kind of surprised how I've seen many condemn Joker for bringing up the subject of how psychopathic murderers can come to be, as if it's something that isn't worth exploring for the sake of how to better understand how one can prevent such psychopaths from rising up into mass murderers in the first place and that analysis, context, and evidence isn't worth bothering with.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    ...that analysis, context, and evidence isn't worth bothering with.
    Welcome to the age of Flat Eartherism where evidence doesn't matter unless said evidence reinforces your world view, critical thought is frowned upon, and everyone has an ax to grind about seemingly every subject. We truly exist in a time of entitled ignorance.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-05-2019 at 10:03 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Welcome to the age of Flat Eartherism where evidence doesn't matter unless said evidence reinforces your world view, critical thought is frowned upon, and everyone has an ax to grind about seemingly every subject. We truly exist in a time of entitled ignorance.
    Lol entitled Ignroance I love that.

I'm kind of surprised how I've seen many condemn Joker for bringing up the subject of how psychopathic murderers can come to be, as if it's something that isn't worth exploring for the sake of how to better understand how one can prevent such psychopaths from rising up into mass murderers in the first place and that analysis, context, and evidence isn't worth bothering with.
    I've never condemned it for that myself, just that the movie tries to sympathise and glorify the Joker whilst also giving him some political alignments with current ametican social issues which may push the already on the edge shooters into "Hey lets kill some people" mode.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

My problems with the movie are certainly not that it tries to examine what turns a psychopath into a killer but that I'm not convinced that it does it all that well and that I think it does dip just a bit too far into making Joker the hero of his own film and tacitly but probably unintentionally endorsing incel culture. I remain incredibly conflicted about this movie and I'm genuinely not sure if that conflict is a sign of the success of the film or its failure.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

what could have been done to prevent Arthur from becoming a murderer? and was it mental illness or moral insanity that led him down that path? it seemed that he snapped because of his mother's baggage. she filled his head with propaganda. the rest was just entitlement crashing into reality. Arthur was a lousy comedian with no stage presence. he was also a complete idiot who lacked the good sense to not bring a gun into a children's hospital. medication or an empathetic counselor wasn't going to alter these conditions on the ground. i went into the movie expecting to sympathize with the character. i left the theater only feeling for his little person former co-worker. why didn't that guy snap and kill someone?

Extraordinary Member

Movies don’t create psychos. Movies make psychos more creative

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Movies don’t create psychos. Movies make psychos more creative
    John Hinckley Jr. is the only psycho I am aware of that was inspired by a movie.

If anything, the publicizing of the fear was more of a potential problem. The movie was never going to inspire anything by and large but the media consistently reporting all these fears? That has a higher chance of getting some fool's motor running.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I've never condemned it for that myself, just that the movie tries to sympathise and glorify the Joker whilst also giving him some political alignments with current ametican social issues which may push the already on the edge shooters into "Hey lets kill some people" mode.
    Interesting. Well, in that case, what would you says gives a definitive indication that the movie was attempting to sympathize and glorify the Joker, regardless of how traumatic his background may have been, and how he aligns with certain social issues in America?

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Lol entitled Ignroance I love that.
    Thanks, I find from rabid Trump supporters to rabid SJWs everyone feels they are entitled to be ignorant (both of the facts and of civility) these days. As a sociologist, I sometimes lecture at my local university and I get a headache every time dealing with those young dolts. Their minds are a logical wasteland in which evidence cannot survive. Whenever I deal with them I'm extremely thankful my regular job is in research.
    Last edited by Celgress; 11-06-2019 at 03:48 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."