Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 94.29%
  • No

2 5.71%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    John Hinckley Jr. is the only psycho I am aware of that was inspired by a movie.
    In part, although his primary motivation was the "impress" actress Jodie Foster who he saw in the movie. Hinckley could differentiate Jodie Foster from her character so he wasn't completely delusional. I suspect if Taxi Driver hadn't caught his interest something else would have as he had a well-documented history of mental illness before his assassination attempt on President Reagan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_H...Jr.#Early_life
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Some of those opposed where normal viewers. As I recall, survivors of the Dark Knight Rises were among those to publicly speak out against it.
    Which was ri-goddamn-diculous.

I'm truly sorry for the victims of Aurora- those who survived, and those that survived those that did not. But unless they were writing to every studio that put out a movie that showcased or glorified violence, then they had no reason to speak out now. Did they speak out about any of Rob Zombie's movies? Tarantino's? Any of the hundreds of movies since TDKR that have come out with excessive violence? No. So what gives them the right to do so now?

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    In part, although his primary motivation was the "impress" actress Jodie Foster who he saw in the movie. Hinckley could differentiate Jodie Foster from her character so he wasn't completely delusional. I suspect if Taxi Driver hadn't caught his interest something else would have as he had a well-documented history of mental illness before his assassination attempt on President Reagan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_H...Jr.#Early_life
    I suppose also worth noting is that a book, Catcher in the Rye, was said to have been found amongst Hinckley's possessions. Mark David Chapman was actually found reading it at the crime scene he shot John Lennon at too.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-06-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I've never condemned it for that myself, just that the movie tries to sympathise and glorify the Joker whilst also giving him some political alignments with current ametican social issues which may push the already on the edge shooters into "Hey lets kill some people" mode.
    This version of the Joker is depicted as a pathetic loner who stumbles into villainy. If anything the Joker is more glorified when he's depicted as either a charismatic show man who upstages Batman or nigh-invincible criminal mastermind.

As for inspiring people to violence, that's already been called out as horseshit. There's been more talk on incels identifying with the character than any actual comments from incels who identify with the character.

This movie is about to make a billion without China and younglings? Fans of versatile comics movies , we still have one battle to win thanks to the fake ass backlash. let's make sure Joker gets that Oscar nomination for best picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This version of the Joker is depicted as a pathetic loner who stumbles into villainy. If anything the Joker is more glorified when he's depicted as either a charismatic show man who upstages Batman or nigh-invincible criminal mastermind.

As for inspiring people to violence, that's already been called out as horseshit. There's been more talk on incels identifying with the character than any actual comments from incels who identify with the character.
    The point was not inspiration as such, but those aleeady on the edge IE: Thise who were already considering it then going "Hey it worked for him"

Yea and I still dont think art should be subject to how mentally I'll people might take it anyway. Help the I'll people dont censor art because some people cant take it. Next it will be violent video games so on and so forth... the movie didnt do anything radical anyway, I mean as far as glorifying, movies Glorify killers all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The point was not inspiration as such, but those aleeady on the edge IE: Thise who were already considering it then going "Hey it worked for him"
    What, exactly, worked for him?

Without spoiling the film, there is one scenario that is largely self-defense/one that is seriously close to home/one that is in the same ballpark/one that was a grudge over a slight.

Never mind that he spared someone he easily could have killed.

I just don't see where there was anything even remotely like a "Hey, it worked for him." message in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    WB played the Joker "hype" beautifully. All that free publicity was wonderful for the Joker box-office.

Lame? Thanks for going to see it.
    I have not seen Joker, yet. I am seeing it this Friday. I thought you had a language error when you said tame. Kuddos to WB for turning the free publicity to a germ.

What never made sense to me is why an incel would shoot up a theater full of fellow incels, if the theory was this was a movie that appealed to incels. There is no brotherhood among incels?
    Seems like an incel would be more inclined to shoot up a rom-com or other sort of chick-flick.

Extraordinary Member

It looks like ppl did but I think the concern was warranted in light of recent and not-so recent events. Maybe ppl overreacting made a difference. But after watching the movie it's much more low-powered than expected. Phoenix's Joker is a misfit and stays that way throughout the movie. Not someone ppl would want to emulate.

If anything Ledger's Joker was more of a threat. In a way this movie was more responsible than TDK. The character wasn't some "cool" charismatic guy laughing it up and shooting into traffic.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Thanks, I find from rabid Trump supporters to rabid SJWs everyone feels they are entitled to be ignorant (both of the facts and of civility) these days. As a sociologist, I sometimes lecture at my local university and I get a headache every time dealing with those young dolts. Their minds are a logical wasteland in which evidence cannot survive. Whenever I deal with them I'm extremely thankful my regular job is in research.
    God, that sounds like an absolutely thankless task in these utterly ridiculous times. I feel for you having to put up with such idiocy all round. I'm another that loved that 'entitled ignorance' phrase. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Which was ri-goddamn-diculous.

I'm truly sorry for the victims of Aurora- those who survived, and those that survived those that did not. But unless they were writing to every studio that put out a movie that showcased or glorified violence, then they had no reason to speak out now. Did they speak out about any of Rob Zombie's movies? Tarantino's? Any of the hundreds of movies since TDKR that have come out with excessive violence? No. So what gives them the right to do so now?
    I don't know much campaigning the Aurora survivors and families have done against violence in movies since 2012, only that I really cannot blame them if they have been working hard at raising awareness. The proof will be in the pudding when the next controversial movie rears it's ugly head. And one will do sooner or later. Even more telling will be the media reaction. Or lack of a reaction more like.

Seriously, we can't even create controversial art nowadays for fear of it 'triggering' someone? As mentioned above, it seems to have triggered opponents of the incel community much more than incels themselves.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    What never made sense to me is why an incel would shoot up a theater full of fellow incels, if the theory was this was a movie that appealed to incels. There is no brotherhood among incels?
    Seems like an incel would be more inclined to shoot up a rom-com or other sort of chick-flick.
    why are we even using this stupid label? involuntarily celibate is just another way of saying 'loser.' and that's a pretty broad category. instead of thinking about it as an incel potentially shooting other incels, think about it as a self-absorbed individual with a grandiose sense of entitlement shooting regular life-valuing individuals.

Out of curiosity did you guys know Joker is no longer rated fresh on rotten tomatoes. Not really. Another prime example that the press failed on every level with this movie.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    My problems with the movie are certainly not that it tries to examine what turns a psychopath into a killer but that I'm not convinced that it does it all that well and that I think it does dip just a bit too far into making Joker the hero of his own film and tacitly but probably unintentionally endorsing incel culture. I remain incredibly conflicted about this movie and I'm genuinely not sure if that conflict is a sign of the success of the film or its failure.
    I'm open to believe that R-rated DC Hollywood movies can make such intelligent-based examinations, but on the other hand, perhaps this sort of examination is better suited for documentaries if anything. There's definitely the possibility of entertainment being so highly prioritized to the point that educating the viewer, irresponsibly even, becomes less of a priority.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 11-10-2019 at 11:30 AM.