View Poll Results: Should the X-Men keep trying for coexistence?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 37.89%
  • No

16 16.84%
  • Yes, but only to a point

26 27.37%
  • Who cares-Hickman is telling an amazing story

17 17.89%
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Agreed on all these points; there definitely needs to be a change-up in how these tensions rack up, lest it all just fall into a defeatist narrative. Progress can be shown without sacrificing the stakes, after all.
    The problem is that for years marvel choose to regress it.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    That's only because writers want it that way. This is not the real world these are fictional characters beholden to what the writer (and the company) want. If Marvel wants there to be no more discrimination at all then that will happen the next day. I'm tired of that being the status quo. That they will never succeed, that co-existence will never happen, and that hope for it is misguided. It's cynical and boring. Writers should do better.
    I do agree with that, and I also agree with another statement of MLK's, namely that it's either coexistence --- or nonexistence. By continuing to hate, reject, and inflict violence and abuse upon mutants, humanity only guarantees its own eventual destruction even as it works toward the destruction of mutants. Hatred kills the hater in the end, even if the hated dies sooner and more violently. Of course, the condition of hatred killing the hated is exactly why the X-Men and mutantkind as a whole have f***ed off to Krakoa; humanity may kill itself off out of sheer self-destructive toxicity and virulence in the future, but that doesn't help the mutants that humanity is killing off in the present.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Which will never happen bc Marvel want to keep their universe as close to reality as possible meaning world leaders will always be shady, wealthy elite will always be scheming, majority will always be prejudiced.
    Sadly, yes, and on that note, I got a quote from an op-ed I read today that I thought beautifully expressed the situation for mutants in the Marvel Universe: "For the oppressed to feel any obligation to fix the flaw in the oppressor is simply another form of oppression." In shorter, less eloquent words: "Mutants don't owe humans s***."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

We’re letting them stay on the planet spoilers:
    for now
    end of spoilers as well as selling them the top shelf drugs, what more do the flatscans want?

BANNED

Letting them stay on the planet?
    Going by the nine timelines where based humanity wipes out the muties they aren't letting humanity do anything, because they go to war humanity will win.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    Going by the nine timelines where based humanity wipes out the muties they aren't letting humanity do anything, because they go to war humanity will win.
    Humans only defeated Magneto because the XMen helped. Apocalypse by himself killed Xavier and Magneto. Xavier and his followers have been the weak link in every reality because they were soft on humans. New statu quo betting ur money on human would be stupid when one bank crisis can bring their society on its knees.

Humans only defeated Magneto because the XMen helped. Apocalypse by himself killed Xavier and Magneto. Xavier and his followers have been the weak link in every reality because they were soft on humans. New statu quo betting ur money on human would be stupid when one bank crisis can bring their society on its knees.
    Didn't one of the timelines have Moira wake up Apocalypse early, kill Xavier and Magneto, and humans still kill all the mutants?

Humans cant fly. Or read minds. Or heal. Or bend matter and reality to their will. Really what kind of life would they have in krakoan society? Not to mention the unfair burden put on mutants that would have to accomodate them every day.
    To be fair a good chunk of mutants cant, crappy powers a more common than absolute awesome ones.

I mean, i understand Magneto god-hubris but is really hard to sell the homo superior slogan with Beak as a representative. That's why Krakoa put the Thiccness in the frontlines.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Didn't one of the timelines have Moira wake up Apocalypse early, kill Xavier and Magneto, and humans still kill all the mutants?
    Ok so this is all hypothetical since I'm pretty sure the real solution in this run will end up being peaceful in some way. That's kind of how Hickman operate. The impossible future (co-existence where neither side is destroyed) will happen but only after bitter work.

So back to my hypothetical mutant-human war situation:

That's because mutants never invest enough in smarts. Other than Beast and a few others, there aren't many mutant geniuses and even they fall short compared to dudes like Stark and Richards. Hence the trans-humans eventually coming out on top. ****, I feel like Tony alone with some prep time could whip some **** that'll wipe out mutant kind... forget about all the other geniuses in the MU. Mutants should be beating the humans to. Mutants should get sinister and jump ahead on the genetic engineering stuff if they wanna win. Breed some smart mutants and start turning everyone into trans-mutants. That's how you win IMO

Im still hoping that there is an explanation for Moira lives.

Is too convenient that she is always achieving the same result no matter what, especially when we already know that there is a lot of alternative futures in the multiverse.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Ok so this is all hypothetical since I'm pretty sure the real solution in this run will end up being peaceful in some way. That's kind of how Hickman operate. The impossible future (co-existence where neither side is destroyed) will happen but only after bitter work.

So back to my hypothetical mutant-human war situation:

That's because mutants never invest enough in smarts. Other than Beast and a few others, there aren't many mutant geniuses and even they fall short compared to dudes like Stark and Richards. Hence the trans-humans eventually coming out on top. ****, I feel like Tony alone with some prep time could whip some **** that'll wipe out mutant kind... forget about all the other geniuses in the MU. Mutants should be beating the humans to. Mutants should get sinister and jump ahead on the genetic engineering stuff if they wanna win. Breed some smart mutants and start turning everyone into trans-mutants. That's how you win IMO
    He actually threatened to do exactly that in AXIS when he was morally Inverted and refusing to be reverted to his former, more heroic self. Taunted the remnants of Xavier's spirit inside the Red Skull's brain about how he was going to finish off mutantkind and make that Charles's legacy to the world.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Funny; looks like the people here are in majority in favor of seeking coexistance. Wouldn't know it from the comments.

The idea that transhumanism is inevitable(and superior to anything nature could create on its own) is my greatest criticism of Hickman's opening storyline. The only reason mutants are fated to lose every time is because Hickman wrote it that way. I seriously can't comprehend the idea that people like Franklin and other high end reality warping mutants can't pull a win every once in a while for the mutants, let alone the concerted efforts of mutants like Storm/Iceman/Magneto/Vulcan with the likes of the various telepaths/healers. Even without the reality warping, they alone should be able to completely upend humanity if it came down to it(in terms of active confrontation/total war), and even better, upend human society in such a way that the humans are grateful.

I mean, geez, humans are so divided and self-destructive already in the real world, I just can't see how mutant elementals and telepaths working in tandem with the Forges, Prodigy's, and Beasts and such, couldn't roll out a sustainable energy grid/end world hunger/ cure all diseases/ etc, to the point where humans just can't help but concede and take the better deal. Ultimately, it is Marvel's insistence to keep the Marvel earth relatively analogous to real life(insofar as the normal nation-states/energy grid/smartphones/etc instead of a completely alien wonderland it should be given the preponderance of advanced aliens, and advanced earth tech, and magic, and all that readily available on earth 616), that keeps the mutants down. It will be interesting to see how far they push things with the new Krakoa status quo. I am definitely intrigued by the set up, but a lot of Hickman's work seems to fall apart in the end(unless Secret War/Battleworld was actually good/smart somehow...? I didn't like it.). We'll have to see how it all shakes out.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    Win what? The right to be so stagnant as a race that they ritualistically mutilate their young as a form of abasement before their robot overlords? Yeah, that’s sure based all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Macallan View Post
    Not right now, I want to see Krakoa play out
    Co-signed. This is where I am at.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Funny; looks like the people here are in majority in favor of seeking coexistance. Wouldn't know it from the comments.
    Call me cynical but I'm legit suprised at how far into the direction of 'yes' that the vote swings. With some of the posts around here, you'd think most people would rather mutantkind literally make themselves an island divorced of humankind.