Page 14 of 42 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Honestly it's Scorsese who's looking thin-skinned after all he's admitted he doesn't watch the movies.
    He said he's tried to watch them. Maybe he saw one or two movies, and decided that's it.

He just comes across as jealous at the success of the MCU and kinda petty.
    Even Robert Downey Jr. scoffed at the idea of Scorsese being jealous.

Iger and others have handled him with kid-gloves and shown him respect even after he put down hundreds of ppl.
    Don't they have doubloons of cash to help them sleep at night? Seriously I don't get this idea that f--king billionaire oligarchs who work at Disney and make Marvel movies are offended when a guy whose combined movies haven't made as much as Captain Marvel, expresses mild criticism about their output.

You'd probably expect a little more class from someone who made their bones with gangster flicks...then again...maybe not.
    Superheroes as a genre have always swallowed out and eaten other genres. That happened in comics. In the post-war era, around the 40s to the mid-50s, you had EC Comics, you had Carl Barks, you had Little Lulu, a whole range of crime comics, satire comics, horror comics, war comics, adventure comics, humor comics, romance comics (started by Jack Kirby) and so on. That got killed off by Frederic Wertham and the Comics Code, and then you had Marvel and Stan Lee come alone and that ended up making superheroes the dominant genre in the comics and crowded out other genres to pasture. The likes of Alan Moore and Garth Ennis and Art Spiegelman among others have banged their drums loudly decrying this fact, as has Frank Miller and others. When people said that the MCU was just like putting the comics on screen what they neglected is that it's making the movie business like the comics business. Now the superhero genre is crowding out and destroying all other kinds of movie genres...just like the comics -- Romantic comedies, crime movies, freaking Steven Spielberg struggled to get a movie like Lincoln funded.

That's what makes superhero movies different from anything that have come before. Sure there were blockbusters before and so on, but what's been happening since the MCU has no precedent with anything that came before.

Where is the artistic film making argument objectively that will prove Scorsese is jealous?

As crazy as I think the idea of Scorsese being jealous is, it is still a lot easier to read than people saying he is a bad person that needs to shut up about marvel because he has been married 5 times. LMAO.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly it's Scorsese who's looking thin-skinned after all he's admitted he doesn't watch the movies. He just comes across as jealous at the success of the MCU and kinda petty. Iger and others have handled him with kid-gloves and shown him respect even after he put down hundreds of ppl. You'd probably expect a little more class from someone who made their bones with gangster flicks...then again...maybe not.
    Scorsese was asked a question and answered it. He didn’t go out of his way to bitch about Marvel. He said something and then fans and people in the media lost their mind and he had to elaborate on it because too babies cried that the prestigious filmmaker doesn’t think their superhero films are artistic. He even tried to soften it by saying everyone involved was talented and people are still complaining. It’s kinda funny.

But yeah he’s not the thin skinned one for answering a question. The fans and Marvel execs responding is what’s keeping the story alive.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Where is the artistic film making argument objectively that will prove Scorsese is jealous?

As crazy as I think the idea of Scorsese being jealous is, it is still a lot easier to read than people saying he is a bad person that needs to shut up about marvel because he has been married 5 times. LMAO.
    It’s still humorous that people think he’s jealous. Of all the people who directed Marvel films are we really going with the idea that Scorsese wouldn’t be allowed to do one if he said he was interested? It would have been hyped to hell on every geek site in the world and he’d have been the most prestigious filmmaker involved in the franchise.

BANNED

To be honest I think Scorsese is the one people are jealous of. All he has to do is say one tiny opinion for a magazine in UK (aka Limey country) and everyone loses their minds. The reason is that Scorsese speaks with six decades worth of respect, prestige, and reputation that he worked at, built, and improved every step of the way. It's something he earned on his own. He's the son of parents who worked at the garment district, so he's a working-class guy who became an artist largely though talent and his own initiative.

Whereas Bob Iger and others at Disney just took out a check to buy Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. And before that they bought Pixar. Disney since the mid-90s just buys out other creatives and take their intellectual property rather than create anything by themselves.

So I guess the knee-jerk reaction is a result of them suddenly getting a reality check.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly it's Scorsese who's looking thin-skinned after all he's admitted he doesn't watch the movies. He just comes across as jealous at the success of the MCU and kinda petty. Iger and others have handled him with kid-gloves and shown him respect even after he put down hundreds of ppl. You'd probably expect a little more class from someone who made their bones with gangster flicks...then again...maybe not.
    Yep.

I'm not going to pretend that I don't think at least a few of his movies are absolutely fantastic. But if he hasn't seen any of the movies, he's complaining about how he thinks many of them are very similar tonally (because, honestly, that's about all he's able to glean from just watching the trailers), which is pretty much hogwash coming from him. Sure he's veered (on occasion) from his usual formula, but the fact that most of his movies feature the same cast starring as Italian gangsters speaks volumes about the tone of his movies.

If he claims that the movies the MCU release are products, well, it's clear he has his own brand he's trying to push and he's just frustrated that not as many people are buying anymore.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    To be honest I think Scorsese is the one people are jealous of. All he has to do is say one tiny opinion for a magazine in UK (aka Limey country) and everyone loses their minds. The reason is that Scorsese speaks with six decades worth of respect, prestige, and reputation that he worked at, built, and improved every step of the way. It's something he earned on his own. He's the son of parents who worked at the garment district, so he's a working-class guy who became an artist largely though talent and his own initiative.

Whereas Bob Iger and others at Disney just took out a check to buy Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. And before that they bought Pixar. Disney since the mid-90s just buys out other creatives and take their intellectual property rather than create anything by themselves.

So I guess the knee-jerk reaction is a result of them suddenly getting a reality check.
    I can't speak for anyone else but my issue is more that this has become yet another blatant MCU bash thread. I couldn't care less about Scorsese himself, he was asked he answered, that's all. But this thread is being used to have people say,
    People are too informed about star wars to buy into the Disney formula blockbuster machine. to an extent is the same with marvel. many people know this mcu movies are more Disney stories than marvel stories. Like I said, star wars was Lucas children.Lucas called them his kids. now they are slaves to disney like Lucas said. of course the Disney star wars is controversial just like slavery was 250 years ago
    I find that past just discussing a man's opinion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Superheroes as a genre have always swallowed out and eaten other genres. That happened in comics. In the post-war era, around the 40s to the mid-50s, you had EC Comics, you had Carl Barks, you had Little Lulu, a whole range of crime comics, satire comics, horror comics, war comics, adventure comics, humor comics, romance comics (started by Jack Kirby) and so on. That got killed off by Frederic Wertham and the Comics Code, and then you had Marvel and Stan Lee come alone and that ended up making superheroes the dominant genre in the comics and crowded out other genres to pasture. The likes of Alan Moore and Garth Ennis and Art Spiegelman among others have banged their drums loudly decrying this fact, as has Frank Miller and others. When people said that the MCU was just like putting the comics on screen what they neglected is that it's making the movie business like the comics business. Now the superhero genre is crowding out and destroying all other kinds of movie genres...just like the comics -- Romantic comedies, crime movies, freaking Steven Spielberg struggled to get a movie like Lincoln funded.

That's what makes superhero movies different from anything that have come before. Sure there were blockbusters before and so on, but what's been happening since the MCU has no precedent with anything that came before.
    This fear of superhero movies crowding out every other genre is really unfounded. I mean you really think that's possible? If we get less genre movies in theaters that's mostly because times/social media has changed so much. If anything Netflix and streaming services has given ppl the option to just stay home and watch those types of movies. there's more content than ever now available at the touch of a button. That's what is hurting theaters the most not the MCU. Ppl will pay to see big visual spectacles onscreen. Which is what theaters are mostly made for anyway. And Spielberg is one to talk did you see his last movie? 90% cgi with random cameos from basically every pop-culture figure in existence. It's movie about video games and hope, blah,blah,blah. If anything that guy is a victim of his own success. All the money he's made off of franchise movies...please...He should be funding his own movies.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 11-11-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Yep.

I'm not going to pretend that I don't think at least a few of his movies are absolutely fantastic. But if he hasn't seen any of the movies, he's complaining about how he thinks many of them are very similar tonally (because, honestly, that's about all he's able to glean from just watching the trailers), which is pretty much hogwash coming from him. Sure he's veered (on occasion) from his usual formula, but the fact that most of his movies feature the same cast starring as Italian gangsters speaks volumes about the tone of his movies.

If he claims that the movies the MCU release are products, well, it's clear he has his own brand he's trying to push and he's just frustrated that not as many people are buying anymore.
    Seriously imagine Scorsese turning down an action figure/video game deal for Good Fellas . "It's about art but how much do you think we could make?" gtfo.lol.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't think he's jealous, he likes what he likes in terms of film and that's fine. I only take issue with the fantasy he seems to have concocted for himself in framing his opinion, film was never some art palace that block busters ruined; rather (like everything else)it's always been 90% crap. And that's not just some popculture quote popularized by Theodore Sturgeon, it's a sentiment that's been around for probably as long as there has been culture, Kipling said , "Four-fifths of everybody's work must be bad" in 1890 and Shakespeare circa 1590 said the same about theatre...and the generation of film makers before Scorsese said the same about the crop of film makers coming out of the 60's.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Scorsese was asked a question and answered it. He didn’t go out of his way to bitch about Marvel. He said something and then fans and people in the media lost their mind and he had to elaborate on it because too babies cried that the prestigious filmmaker doesn’t think their superhero films are artistic. He even tried to soften it by saying everyone involved was talented and people are still complaining. It’s kinda funny.

But yeah he’s not the thin skinned one for answering a question. The fans and Marvel execs responding is what’s keeping the story alive.
    He threw a veiled insult and ppl responded. I haven't seen anyone in the media overreact.Ppl are keeping the story alive because it's our culture now to argue back and forth on the internet. Scorsese knew what he was doing dropping this critique weeks before his won movie comes out.

Extraordinary Member

He threw a veiled insult and ppl responded. I haven't seen anyone in the media overreact.Ppl are keeping the story alive because it's our culture now to argue back and forth on the internet. Scorsese knew what he was doing dropping this critique weeks before his won movie comes out.
    Yeah, it'd be naïve to think that he's not at least this media savvy at this point.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Scorsese said it once and then tried to soften it (after he already was pretty soft in his initial answer).

Gunn came out crying about how sad he was that a filmmaker he liked was dismissing his films. Igor threw a hissyfit and tried to race bait with Black Panther. Feige went on a monologue about how his films were brave because he had Captain America and Iron Man fight each other. Marvel fans freaked out and can’t let it go.

The only person with any real sense was RDJ who basically ignored it (he’s also the most tied to old Hollywood of anyone who gave their opinion on this).

Scorsese didn’t say anything that hasn’t been said before. It’s ridiculous to call him thin skinned or jealous. The only difference again is that unlike most people who have said it, Scorsese’s opinion carries weight in the film industry. If he spoke glowingly of them, it would have been used as an example of a prestige filmmaker giving them validity. Because it was negative it’s rubbing them all the wrong way.

Feige has responded. all I can say is he is either in denial or like Chadwick, ignorant.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...nd-of-a-movie/

Sorry Kevin. No matter how you try to spin it, you are making beautiful Disney commercials for a lucrative IP.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Scorsese said it once and then tried to soften it (after he already was pretty soft in his initial answer).

Gunn came out crying about how sad he was that a filmmaker he liked was dismissing his films. Igor threw a hissyfit and tried to race bait with Black Panther. Feige went on a monologue about how his films were brave because he had Captain America and Iron Man fight each other. Marvel fans freaked out and can’t let it go.

The only person with any real sense was RDJ who basically ignored it (he’s also the most tied to old Hollywood of anyone who gave their opinion on this).

Scorsese didn’t say anything that hasn’t been said before. It’s ridiculous to call him thin skinned or jealous. The only difference again is that unlike most people who have said it, Scorsese’s opinion carries weight in the film industry. If he spoke glowingly of them, it would have been used as an example of a prestige filmmaker giving them validity. Because it was negative it’s rubbing them all the wrong way.
    Yeah and we got ppl in this thread comparing chattel slavery to what Disney is doing with starwars. Concerns about ppl being racially insensitive and totally dismissive to films not featuring predominantly white ppl is not off-base.

Spielberg said he liked GOTG has his opinion changed anybody's who didn't like that movie? Yeah Scorsese's word carries weight but not enough to get his new movie an extended run in theaters or financed by the studio system. Instead of facing facts he blames the MCU...